Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Blind and Green
  • 64,000 total points, apply by November 30, 2018
  • 32,000 points for $1,000 spend within 90 days
  • Additional 32,000 points for $2k additional spend ($3k total) within 180 days
    • no annual fee
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2513&cellNumber=5

Print Wikipost

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
It depends - if you think you will be staying at a Choice hotel in the future, I wouldn't bother as you will receive the bonus then.
I don't stay in hotels that much, so I think I'm going to go ahead and do it unless someone thinks it's a poor return. I'm working toward a 50k redemption that will come open in a few months and doubt I will have a chance to stay at choice until then.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:01 am

I received an email from choice today with this same offer, applied online and was denied outright. Simultaneously applied for the Hilton HHonors 62.5K card and was approved
I had applied for and received the CO onepass plus chase 10 days back.
Do not understand if Barclay has any enmity with me - was rejected outright after applying for the US airways card a few months back!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by crazyflier
I received an email from choice today with this same offer, applied online and was denied outright. Simultaneously applied for the Hilton HHonors 62.5K card and was approved
I had applied for and received the CO onepass plus chase 10 days back.
Do not understand if Barclay has any enmity with me - was rejected outright after applying for the US airways card a few months back!
Barclays usually pulls your credit score from the Transunion credit agency, most other issuers pull from Experian or Equifax. You should receive a letter in the mail shortly from Barclays giving you your TransUnion FICO score, but I would pull your credit report from annualcreditreport.com (the free government-mandated website that lets you pull once/year) and see if there are any differences between Barclays and the other agencies.

Additionally, if you have already pulled your free report in the past 12 months, I would sign up for an account on CreditKarma.com as they show you information from TransUnion. It doesn't give you everything, but should show you enough to see if you should pay to pull your report again to file a dispute.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:54 am

FWIW, I signed up for the 24 plus 8k version and did my stay. I tried to get barclays to bump the bonus to the new offer of 16k, but they wouldn't budge. Their customer service didn't even seem to know what I was asking, but anyway, it was like pushing a rock uphill.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Barclays usually pulls your credit score from the Transunion credit agency, most other issuers pull from Experian or Equifax. You should receive a letter in the mail shortly from Barclays giving you your TransUnion FICO score, but I would pull your credit report from annualcreditreport.com (the free government-mandated website that lets you pull once/year) and see if there are any differences between Barclays and the other agencies.

Additionally, if you have already pulled your free report in the past 12 months, I would sign up for an account on CreditKarma.com as they show you information from TransUnion. It doesn't give you everything, but should show you enough to see if you should pay to pull your report again to file a dispute.
I am maintaining a creditkarma account for the past 7-8 months and it helps checking your scores (though they are not exact FICO scores) before applying for a card.
I received the reasoning from Barclays stating the disqualifying reason as 'too many recent enquiries' and 'low average age of accounts' - which I should admit is true. They also provided the TU score.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
Choice has upgraded this offer to 24,000 bonus points after first use of the card and now 16,000 points after using the card for your first Choice hotel stay.
Other details are the same:

http://www.choicehotels.com/fivefreenights
Does this still have no annual fee? I've looked at the landing page and don't see anything, which seems like good news.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lyssa
Does this still have no annual fee? I've looked at the landing page and don't see anything, which seems like good news.
It may not be on the landing page, but if you click on Terms and Conditions you get a page which lists the interest rates and fees and such, and the annual fee is spelled out as being $0 there:

https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/l...req=CCVVS40444
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Offer is supposed to expire on Nov. 3, so don't wait much longer to apply.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update

Originally Posted by BigLar
If you're talking about the 8000 point bonus for first stay, I called them when I got the card (was not staying in hotels at the time) and was told that the bonus is just sitting there waiting for you to make a stay. Officially, no time limit.

It's been about a year and I have't stayed yet, so realistically, I'm not expecting it.
I stayed in a Comfort Inn a couple of weeks ago. The 8000 point bonus showed up yesterday!

OTOH, it seems I only got 3 points/$ instead of the 5 I was supposed to get, so maybe I'll call them on that.

Barclays giveth and Barclays taketh away. Hi ho.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I stayed in a Comfort Inn a couple of weeks ago. The 8000 point bonus showed up yesterday!

OTOH, it seems I only got 3 points/$ instead of the 5 I was supposed to get, so maybe I'll call them on that.

Barclays giveth and Barclays taketh away. Hi ho.
The 5 points per dollar spent includes the 2 points per dollar you get from the card. In other words, you get 2 points per every dollar spent with the card, and you get 3 points per dollar bonus when your spend is at a Choice Hotel.
So, only the 3 points per dollar will show up as a separate item on your account. The 2 points per dollar is already there with your other spend points.
The 10 points per dollar you get for your stay shows shows up as a separate item, as it is not tied to your credit card. So, actually you get 15 points per dollar for a Comfort Inn stay (more if you are elite) when you use a Choice Visa.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthego15
So, only the 3 points per dollar will show up as a separate item on your account. The 2 points per dollar is already there with your other spend points.
Gotcha.

Should'a known that.

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Gotcha.

Should'a known that.

Thanks.
You're welcome. Took me a while to figure out myself. Plus I'm a Platinum, so there's a bonus for that. I had one stay and had points for the card, bonus points for the stay, regular points for the stay, bonus points for plat, etc......
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:48 am

EDIT: I resolved this issue.

Last edited by Embassy.; Dec 14, 2011 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:58 am

CP Visa Gold Status to Plat = 20 stays

It appears you don't get a bump in the number of stays needed to become Platinum... You'll have to earn your way through Gold for 20 stays to get to Plat
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

This offer is back, same as before:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...req=CCVVS27024

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.