Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Are more and more Choice Hotels imposing 24 hr. cancellation policies?

Old Feb 21, 11, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, CC Gold, HH Gold, GP 1M, Miracle Fruit-su Club

...by 3pm or 6pm, the day before? I seem to be encountering this more often, especially at Econolodges and Rodeways where I have stayed recently.

Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 11, 11:01 am

The cancellation policy changes depending on activity and season. If your recent stays were on Valentine's Day weekend or President's Day weekend, that might be why you noticed a change.

It can also change depending on how you guaranteed the room.

General rule of thumb for all of Choice is: deadline for cancellation is 6pm on the scheduled date of arrival.
Old Feb 24, 11, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peggle View Post
General rule of thumb for all of Choice is: deadline for cancellation is 6pm on the scheduled date of arrival.
I disagree. It has always varied, with some always being like that (since years ago, until today) and others always being on the day before arrival (since years ago, until today). Even hotels across the street from each other!

And, meanwhile, on the date of arrival ones, I've run into 4 pm local time more than 6 pm local time.
Old Feb 25, 11, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, CC Gold, HH Gold, GP 1M, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you both. Both your comments are enlightening. More to my reasons for asking is that I'm accustomed to the 24-hr. policy in the higher-end chains and higher-end (more in demand) Choice hotels. It's just that I'm finding it at Econolodges and Rodeways that are still going for ~ $30.

And again, peggle, thanks for keeping an eye on us.

Last edited by Firewind; Feb 25, 11 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:47 pm

Programs: SW A-list, UA, US, AA, Choice Gold
Some time in the last year, the Sleep Inn near BWI, which used to be a great value, changed from same-day 6 PM to previous day 6 PM. That was the last straw for me - that Sleep Inn had been going downhill ever since a recent ownership change.

I am now using the Comfort Suites near BWI (NOT the pathetic Comfort Inn), which is nicer in all respects and has a same-day 6 PM deadline.
Old Feb 27, 11, 12:38 am

I haven't noticed any changes recently, but I've always noticed a variety by property, rather than time of year or event. However, I don't tend to stay at the same properties repeatedly. To avoid issues, I just make sure to check before booking.