Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rate Choice Privileges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Rate Choice Privileges

We are going to review Choice Privileges in the March issue of InsideFlyer magazine and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in Choice Privileges and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to me at [email protected].
Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd give it a C or maybe a C+

- There are very few places in the US where you can't find a Choice Property, however, consistency (particularly among Quality Inns) is lacking.

- Upgrades seem pretty non-existent.

- Website is good, not great. ^

- Time to post points/stays is pretty quick ^
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
I am assuming you are asking about the rewards program - choice privileges - NOT the chain of properties - choice hotels international?

If that's the case, my answer is a rock solid A ^.

There are typically many opportunities for earning bonus points (promo's) on stays. Yes there are some - perhaps several - less than "ideal" properties out there but as far as the choice privileges program goes, I feel that it is easily one of best hotel programs out there. I am constantly amazed at how quiet this board is given all of the properties.

There are some incredible redemption opportunities for very nice hotels AND there is opportunity to redeem points from about any retailer that one can think of at what I feel are very respectable rates.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
For the properties I'd give them a C. Yes, there are many of them around and it shows that they have been for quite some time. From the questions I get asked by the front desk staff about the program, it's obvious they are not briefed much at all.

For the program I'd give them a D. The customer service people seem to look for ways to deny points/service. If a property misposts points with an incorrect date and you have consecutive stays, they will not post points for the stay. If you have an issue with a property not delivering program benefits they just say you must work it out with the property and that they can't (won't) do anything about it.

Given my past experience, Choice has become my LAST choice when looking for rooms.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:08 pm

I give them a solid B. We often stay at their properties when we drive down south. We try to take advantage of promotions to increase our points, which we often redeem for WN credits. Twice we have redeemed for free stays.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
I'd give it a C+/B-.

I think the problem with Choice Privileges is the same problem with Choice Hotels in general - they are plagued by inconsistency. I think experienced CP members have learned over the years all of the little things that you need to do to maximize your membership, but I can only imagine what the new or irregular member feels like.

The booking process options are a website that is mostly effective, and has some nice features, but also seems to require frequent logging on and off (LPGA rate issues, anyone?). Inconsistent.

The 800 number is inconsistent with how they handle you. I sometimes have to go through the various options (room preference, rate preference, etc.) before I'm asked for my CP number, which has all of that info. But sometimes it is the first thing asked.

The properties are inconsistent, particularly among certain brands/marques. They seem to be working on this with the top shelf brands (Comfort Suites, Cambria), but others are can range from fine to nightmarish. I, personally, am fiercely loyal to the specific hotels I've found that meet my expectations, but am somewhat trepidatious when going to a property I haven't been to before or researched.

The treatment of elite members is inconsistent. Some properties will bend over backwards for their higher level guests, others won't even acknowledge it.

Redeeming points for stays is wildly inconsistent. There is no way of knowing how many points a particular property will want for a night's stay. Points for other things, e.g. gift cards, seems fine, though.

I have found virtually every person I have spoken with at Choice to be pleasant and helpful, but I always had the feeling that they were constrained in some way from being totally effective. Not actively, or even intentionally, but through policies.

I get the feeling that the Choice brand is best suited for the self-employed, or people from smaller companies, who are a little (or a lot) more cost conscious business travelers. They tend to be a better value in the same area than a most HI, HIE's, or Hamptons, but not always.

The frequent promotions are the saving grace of the program. A busy travel schedule at just the right time can easily net you enough points in a month for a weekend at the best properties Choice has to offer.

They also, somehow, seem to be getting enough feedback to make substantive changes - counting reward stays toward elite status as an example.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I would rate the Choice Privileges reward program a C-

1) Most (maybe not most, but many) Choice Hotels are motels. To require the # of points for redemption that some of the properties require is really ridiculous.

2) Upgrades for elite members are almost non-existent, although thats partly due to the fact that many properties dont have "suite" type rooms, since they are of course motels.

3) Their customer support over the phone is marginal.

Some positives: Points usually post quickly and accurately, award availability is generally very good (even though there's a silly window for booking award stays), and they have locations everywhere. I have their Visa card (issued by Barclays), so its easy to rack up points very quickly.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
As the Choice Priv. program is intertwined with the Hotel Chain, need to evalute if reviewing either.

I would say the program side of it is a C+, but the hotels a C or C-. As others say, too inconsistant, especially with Quality and standard Comfort hotels. I don't look for luxury, but clean, neat, not too worn-out are the most important.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:16 pm

Pros:
- some hotels require less points like 8000 for a free night.
- points posted quickly

Cons:
- Beside US and Europe, hotel selection is very limited for other continents
- short life span for earned points
- restriction on booking window for free nights, 50-100 days, many people plan for vacation 3-6 months in advance or more
- many properties in poor condition
- benefits tend to favor US residents only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.