Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

List possibly cheaper rates by phone than online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

I always use the LPGA rate, but it wasn't coming in as usual for some upcoming stays - coincidentally - near California's several wine countries. I called, and a most generous reservationist asked if I have any affiliations. He asked about several, including insurance, and I said "GEICO". (I don't have any relationship, professional or familial with GEICO, except I am a customer and have the card.) I would never have thought of it. Sometimes it's the best I can find, and sometimes it's not.

Any other you know of? Even if this thread doesn't go anywhere, well, you have the tip about GEICO. (No receptionist has asked...)

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm Reason: No edit. Inadvertent...
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
1) Continue to get GEICO to shave $3-$5 off the LPGA rate.

2) Don't know of a code to use online. "GEICO" doesn't work.

3) Most importantly, the confirmation says, "This rate is eligible for Choice Privileges® points." (And so the bonus.) ^

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm Reason: Make that "$3-"$5
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure it's phone only? Or is it simply that "not available as easily as LPGA" rates are better?

There are some Choice SOS codes that you can find online that (when that travel site code that we all used a couple years ago) yielded the same discount as that travel site code, which at least at that time seemed to be a bigger discount than the leftover "publicly available codes to all". Most of the ones you'll find googling around are for various "farm bureaus" members and such. These work online, but the hotel sees the name of the organization whose code you've used in your reservation, so be prepared with a good story at least! (And don't every FTer use the same SOS code!)
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Interesting quirk: Stays, points and Gold bonus points show up for GEICO rate stays, but not the make-up to 8,000. The reservations say explicitly, "...is eligible for ChoicePrivileges points." CS rep on the phone says they'll look into it.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Not in my experience you may be able to get points if you haggle them though
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
Interesting quirk: Stays, points and Gold bonus points show up for GEICO rate stays, but not the make-up to 8,000. The reservations say explicitly, "...is eligible for ChoicePrivileges points." CS rep on the phone says they'll look into it.
As I acknowledged in another thread, the bonuses stopped when I reached four of them, not because the latter stays were at the GEICO rate. D'oh...
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Am finding that sometimes GEICO is better, and sometimes LPGA is better, but the better one is always the best that I can find. Also finding that LPGA can't be seen by a live reservationist, but they can see GEICO (several data points, anyway). And I can't, or don't know how to, see the GEICO rate online. It's usually worth my time to check both ways, as the better rate is always at least $4 better. Silly difference, I know, but maybe there are others who watch this board who like a "free" sandwich, or, um, gallon of gas.....
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Firewind
Am finding that sometimes GEICO is better, and sometimes LPGA is better, but the better one is always the best that I can find. Also finding that LPGA can't be seen by a live reservationist, but they can see GEICO (several data points, anyway). And I can't, or don't know how to, see the GEICO rate online. It's usually worth my time to check both ways, as the better rate is always at least $4 better. Silly difference, I know, but maybe there are others who watch this board who like a "free" sandwich, or, um, gallon of gas.....
$4 is $4. Like a lot of other people here, that would have saved me $400 dollars in 2010. $400 dollars is nice around the holidays, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.