Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

choice priv vs southwest rapid rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

my choice account is set up to receive either choice points OR southwest rr credits.

last time I stayed at a Quality Inn, I booked through southwest.com as I usually do because southwest has generous redemption policies including free drinks and free travel after only 8 round trips (compare to over a dozen trips at just about any other airline, I believe)

So on that particular stay, I did not receive Choice priv points. I am not sure of the policy whether I am allowed to double dip or not, but I'm pretty sure I could only set my account to receive one or the other, and furthermore I seem to remember the Quality denying my claim for the points.

however I was able to submit a missing points request and that went through yesterday without any qualms that I know of, so this could be of help to us in the future.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hykos
my choice account is set up to receive either choice points OR southwest rr credits.

last time I stayed at a Quality Inn, I booked through southwest.com as I usually do because southwest has generous redemption policies including free drinks and free travel after only 8 round trips (compare to over a dozen trips at just about any other airline, I believe)

So on that particular stay, I did not receive Choice priv points. I am not sure of the policy whether I am allowed to double dip or not, but I'm pretty sure I could only set my account to receive one or the other, and furthermore I seem to remember the Quality denying my claim for the points.

however I was able to submit a missing points request and that went through yesterday without any qualms that I know of, so this could be of help to us in the future.
Yes, it is either or. In fact, it is so either or, that (at least at some hotels) once they put in your Southwest number, they lose track in their system of the fact that you're Choice Privileges member. (Not that they are supposed to also give you poitns, but if you have status they are supposed to give you perks, including the ability to request late checkout, at some hotels a morning paper on your door, etc, but if they can't tell you're Choice Elite because the airline number overrode the Choice number, you don't get those!)

Are you saying you earned both Southwest creidt and Choice points for the same stay by submitting a missing points request??? (That's not supposed to happen, but I guess by mistake maybe it could sometimes. But even if it happens sometimes, I don't know that it would be reliable, given that it's a mistake.)
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:20 am

If your goal is for your Choice stays to count towards a Southwest award:
  • If the stay counts towards a seasonal bonus, such as 8000 points for two stays, you should make the reservation with your Choice account banked to get Choice points.
  • Othwerwise, you should book the stay to bank the 0.5 Southwest credit if the cost of your stay will be under $200, or to get Choice points if over $200.
This works if you'll be able to convert the Choice points to RR at 6000 to 1.5 credits. You should set your earnings preference on the Choice site before you reserve; they can change it at the hotel, but that's subject to human error.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you are going for WN credits, the WN Visa (since Choice is a WN partner) gives more value than the Choice credit card.

1 RR credit per $600 spend on the WN Visa vs. 3000 Choice points per $600 spend = .75 RR credit on the other.

A perverse situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.