Will choice take points away if I book

Old Aug 4, 10, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Will choice take points away if I book

with points then not cancel by hotel cancellation deadline? Thanks
Old Aug 4, 10, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes. Unless you are lucky enough to find a sympathetic manager. I had a rez in Little Rock and missed the connection in ORD. Hotel refused to cancel the rez and took the points too. Even tried CP Customer Support and no joy.

On the upside, it could be worse. Some chains will charge a No Show fee to your CC instead of taking the points. Personally, loosing the points is cheaper than being billed $'s.
Old Aug 5, 10, 8:20 pm

Hey Roger,

Were you diamond when this happened?
Old Aug 5, 10, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, I was.
Old Aug 6, 10, 7:58 am

Wow, that's ridiculous. It just goes to show how little Diamond means at CH.
Old Aug 6, 10, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I still consider CP as my "Last Choice" program, in all fairness, it was within the terms of the reservation. The flight cancellation was after the cancellation deadline and not any fault of the property. I purposely avoid advance purchase rates just to extend the time to cancel, but this couldn't be avoided in this case.

I wish I could say this is the only problem I've had with CP, but I can't. There really is no teeth in their program and when something goes wrong they push you back to the property. And if they are the one failing to deliver a program benefit there's no penalty to correct the behavior.
Old Aug 6, 10, 11:07 am

I agree that their policy/terms of the res. were followed, but when considering that you are at the highest tier in their affinity program, it doesn't say much for their consideration of the plight of business travelers. The first question that comes to mind is the occupancy rate of the property on the night in question. If they had all heads in beds and were turning people away, then I can see it being only fair that you would be hit for the no-show, but if they weren't....
Old Aug 6, 10, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think Choice owns or even managers the properties. I only recall seeing franchises and unless you are a regular at that particular property, business volume elsewhere really doesn't matter to them. I have been getting more agressive at asking for upgrades to King beds when the Queen bed rooms are cheaper. It usually takes less than three stays before they learn to not try and upsell me to a king.
Old Aug 6, 10, 12:43 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by enginero View Post
Wow, that's ridiculous. It just goes to show how little Diamond means at CH.
That could be a thread in itself.

Now, this isn't really a fair comparison given the hotel brands, but is shows the differences. A colleague of mine was an elite Hampton hore, so we would give each other points when staying at the different hotels. I used his name at a Hilton in Teterboro, NJ so he would get the points, and I was absolutely floored by how they treated me (thinking I was him) - separate floor, lounge (stocked with water, fruit, juices, etc.), business center, mini-gift basket. It was incredible.

Now I'll grant that this was a different class of hotel than the normal choice property, but I've been diamond with them for a while now and have only once been recognized in a similar manner (someplace in NJ, near Somerset).

They generally just don't care. And as for Roger's point about them being franchised, I understand that, but they need to realize that while I may only stay at their property once a year, I am only staying there because of their association - it's a benefit of being franchised.

On on encouraging note, the last survey I got from them asked me if I was recognized as a diamond member when checking in. That's the first time I recall seeing that question.
Old Aug 8, 10, 11:13 pm

I can certainly understand that Choice doesn't own or manage the properties, but they should be acting as liaisons for the customers who have obviously shown their allegiance to the brand(s). They also won't status match to Diamond, which would make sense if Diamond meant more than longer award windows and additional bonus points.

Search this Thread