Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Using my points to book a room for someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I know this has been discussed but I searched and came up empty.

If I remember right the strategy is to book a room in my name and then call the hotel and add another name to the room and tell them the other person will be checking in first. This seems like it would work but I think I saw a program rule that says the person whose points are being used to pay for the room has to be the same person whose credit card is used at check-in. Is that correct?
Old May 6, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
From the Choice Privileges Reward Night Rules

20. A member may redeem a reward night for an immediate family member (spouse, partner, children, parents, in-laws, brothers and sisters). Immediate family members (spouse, partner, children, parents, in-laws, brothers and sisters) can use the free night even if the member is not occupying the room.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks VolFanDave, that will work. The person I want to give the points to is my brother.

Regards
Old May 22, 2010, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by VolFanDave
From the Choice Privileges Reward Night Rules

20. A member may redeem a reward night for an immediate family member (spouse, partner, children, parents, in-laws, brothers and sisters). Immediate family members (spouse, partner, children, parents, in-laws, brothers and sisters) can use the free night even if the member is not occupying the room.
As a follow up question, would such a room still count for elite qualification?

Suppose I book an award night for a family member and have them check in, but I myself never show up. Is it possible to still count the award night for Choice elite status?
Old May 24, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by ckpeter

Suppose I book an award night for a family member and have them check in, but I myself never show up. Is it possible to still count the award night for Choice elite status?
I believe that is indeed possible. The points are being debited from your account, and starting this year those nights count towards status. I booked a paid room two weeks ago, and Mrs. VolFanDave checked us in and out using her credit card. I received the stay and the points. That's FWIW, of course.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by ckpeter

This one has been a major aggravation for me. Reward nights do NOT count for your elite classification status. I had to burn over 200k points last year, so I only wound up with 29 paid nights and lost diamond status, nevermind that I stayed at Choice properties well over 65 times. What also sucks is that you can't upgrade in year. I've already qualified for diamond this year (even after my AAA # fiasco boycott for the first two months).
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by mclee19
This one has been a major aggravation for me. Reward nights do NOT count for your elite classification status. I had to burn over 200k points last year, so I only wound up with 29 paid nights and lost diamond status, nevermind that I stayed at Choice properties well over 65 times. What also sucks is that you can't upgrade in year. I've already qualified for diamond this year (even after my AAA # fiasco boycott for the first two months).
They do this year.

"Nights required per calendar year
(reward nights count toward elite status)"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...te-status.html

Welcome to FlyerTalk, mclee19!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by sc flier
They do this year.

"Nights required per calendar year
(reward nights count toward elite status)"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...te-status.html

Welcome to FlyerTalk, mclee19!
Thanks, SC.

Looks like my pointed discussions paid off! I'll go ahead and take credit for it, even though it doesn't help me this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.