Wiki Posts
Search

Your Favorite Choice Property

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Post Your Favorite Choice Property

Like to poll the community to see where in the USA or outside the USA, where people have favorite Choice Properties. I have some points i need to use up and would like to read about why people have favorite choice properties and the cities that they are in. (Please leave out any Econo Lodges, Roadway Inns and Suburban lodges.

Got some time to use the points up but would like to start narrowing down my choices after reading FT members reviews on their favorite Choice Property
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the ones in Norway (Western fjord area) I stayed in were great, especially in Bergen city (the one in Bryggen) and Eidsfjord (at the end of a beautiful fjord). The one at Bergen airport (walk to the terminal) was a bit wierd, but otherwise great for a night-before-the-flight stay.

However, be aware that Norway can be expensive for food, so picnic creatively or starve or budget for that. Especially in the countryside, but I found it a better experience to stay in the countryside -- in this case Eidsfjord -- for at least part of the stay than only to be based in the city the whole time.

And for 16K points a night (for hotels that cost $200++ in money), you can't beat the value.

(But you do have to get there!)

Choice Scandinavia is a slightly different hotel family than Choice elsewhere, but you can redeem there. But "slightly different" means "higher quality" (on a more consistent basis), which is very good IMHO!

There are decent Choice properties in London, but nothing that special, just a decent-enough property for a redemtion stay in that city where all hotels tend to have smaller rooms. (I couldn't find one at a great redemption rate and with a great location, though, that gave both free breakfast and free interent -- just one or the other.)

In my US travels, I've mostly stayed in Choice hotels in conjunction with National Park visits. They were fine for that (a base for sleeping, when I spending most of my time out in parks anyway), but nothing to write home about as hotels proper. These were at the northern end of Skyline Drive (Front Royal VA), nortthern entrance of Olympia Nat'l Park (Port Angeles WA), main entrance to Zion and main entrance to Arches/Canyonlands (different parts of UT), etc.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I dout this will be one you'll want to travel to, but it's still my favorite.

The Clarion LGA. If flying out of the Central Terminal you have the ability to easily walk to the hotel (1/4 mile walk at most). Also, the Q33 bus stops right outside the hotel which connects you to the subway and Manhattan for an easy $2.50. Finally, the employees are great here and the breakfast is not bad.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Most Choice properties do not qualify as "favorites", but I do have a few memorable ones that I look forward to returning to any time:

Clarion Suites Lisbon, Portugal, especially their 2BR 2BA "penthouse" suites. Great location (central yet quiet), roomy new suites.

Kress Inn, De Pere WI (a Clarion Collection Hotel). I don't quite understand why this property became a Choice hotel. It is superb in its cleanliness, staff attentiveness, and even its spiritual mood. Located on the St. Norbert College campus.

Le Consulat, San Juan PR (an Ascend Collection Hotel). Small hotel, relatively new and very clean, close to everything, reasonably priced for San Juan.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Choice Suites ONT

New property with good prices and nicely designed rooms. Close to rail and next to the airport, so noise may be a problem for those bothered by it.

This is not a vacation or resort setting, but it is good for the one-night-close-to-the-airport traveler.

Joe
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Clarion in downtown Dublin was a real treat. We had 4 rooms there in April (all on points, 10K/room/night).

The rooms were all 1BR suites, huge size, balcony/party deck, etc. Nice bar, close to the O2, convenient to the tourist district, free airport shuttle, etc.

All in all, a great location and a tremendous value.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
If anyone is interested in older threads, these threads include some people discussing Choice properties they like, along with other things:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...ew-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...-property.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.