Question about dual citizenship entering China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.

I have a question about entering China.
I am both US and Taiwan citizen.
I have China issued Travel Document for Taiwan Resident.
Using Travel Document is ok to enter China.
But now I am US citizen.
Is it ok not to have China visa to enter China using Travel Document?

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:21 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Should be OK to enter with Taiwan passport. (save the US 130 visa fee)

Don't know if US embassy would be of assistance if needed if you enter
China on another country's passport.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Originally Posted by yuchung5
I have a question about entering China.
I am both US and Taiwan citizen.
I have China issued Travel Document for Taiwan Resident.
Using Travel Document is ok to enter China.
But now I am US citizen.
Is it ok not to have China visa to enter China using Travel Document?

Thanks
I'm not sure if your situation would be the same as someone who had taken out citizenship of an EU country and therefore had to give up their Chinese citizenship (I gather that China doesn't allow one to have dual citizenship)?
A colleague's mother-in-law who had taken out citizenship of an EU country travelled to Beijing last year. She was taken aside at Immigration there, questioned as to why she was travelling as a non-Chinese citizen, and was detained for almost 2 wks. A "fine" had to be paid eventually to officials to free her and she got to spend just over 2 wks of her month long trip with her family in Beijing. She's sworn that it was the last time she'd ever travel back to China because of this.

I would think that your Travel DOcument relates specifically to your Taiwanese citizenship but if you're travelling under your US citizenship then you'd need to apply for a visa rather than risk a similar scenario to what I've outlined above! Better safe than sorry!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
It is OK to use your Tai-bao-zheng to enter and leave China; don't even tell them anything about your US passport; you don't need a visa. (Your possession of US passport is not a real problem, just irrelevant; Chinese laws against dual citizenship do not apply to Taiwanese.) But make sure your Tai-bao-zheng is really up to date and will cover your trip.

Only if you were planning on making use of US embassy or consulate resources while in China would it be preferable to use your US passport to enter and leave. In that case, you would also need a PRC visa, just the same as any American citizen (and your Taiwan citizenship would be irrelevant).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Technically US citizens must exit and enter the US with their US passport.

IIRC airlines scan your passport before departure, so if you used a Taiwan passport to leave the US then there would be a record of it. So I guess
you would have to use your US passport to leave, **would the airline let you board with a US passport but no China visa**?
then use your Taiwan
passport to enter China. Then use Taiwan to exit. Then US passport to enter
US. But then there would be no record on the computer that you entered
China or left China, nor any stamps in your passport.

Definately you would not have too many benefits in China from US Embassy,
but it may be worth it to save $130.

While the U.S. Government will offer consular services to all U.S. citizens regardless of dual nationality, use of other than a U.S. passport to enter China can make it difficult for U.S. Consuls to assist dual national Americans who have been arrested or who have other concerns with the Chinese Government.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 22, 2009 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Technically US citizens must exit and enter the US with their US passport.

IIRC airlines scan your passport before departure, so if you used a Taiwan passport to leave the US then there would be a record of it. So I guess
you would have to use your US passport to leave, **would the airline let you board with a US passport but no China visa**?
then use your Taiwan
passport to enter China. Then use Taiwan to exit. Then US passport to enter
US. But then there would be no record on the computer that you entered
China or left China, nor any stamps in your passport.

Definately you would not have too many benefits in China from US Embassy,
but it may be worth it to save $130.

While the U.S. Government will offer consular services to all U.S. citizens regardless of dual nationality, use of other than a U.S. passport to enter China can make it difficult for U.S. Consuls to assist dual national Americans who have been arrested or who have other concerns with the Chinese Government.
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
It is OK to use your Tai-bao-zheng to enter and leave China; don't even tell them anything about your US passport; you don't need a visa. (Your possession of US passport is not a real problem, just irrelevant; Chinese laws against dual citizenship do not apply to Taiwanese.) But make sure your Tai-bao-zheng is really up to date and will cover your trip.

Only if you were planning on making use of US embassy or consulate resources while in China would it be preferable to use your US passport to enter and leave. In that case, you would also need a PRC visa, just the same as any American citizen (and your Taiwan citizenship would be irrelevant).
Thanks all.
I have to use US passport in and out US anyway because I don't have US visa.
I guess my biggest question is --
When I am in China airport boarder control leaving China to US, will they ask me "Where is your US visa?" I know airport check in agent will ask this, and I can show them my US passport. Not sure I can do this to China official or not.

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:13 pm

Does China have VISA fees / requirerements for EURO citizens?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by best
Does China have VISA fees / requirerements for EURO citizens?
Yes. You need a visa, even if visiting for tourism. You should aim to get this from your local embassy from whichever country you are resident in (though you can also usually get visas in HKG, for example, if needed). Allow 3 days to process the application if you want to avoid paying hefty express fees. The form itself is very simple - no worse than the card you complete when landing in the United States, for example. You need 1 passport photo.

The fees vary according to where you apply, the type of visa and how long you need it for - in the UK a single entry visa for tourism/visit costs around GBP50 / EUR55 once all fees are included.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Thanks all.
I have to use US passport in and out US anyway because I don't have US visa.
I guess my biggest question is --
When I am in China airport boarder control leaving China to US, will they ask me "Where is your US visa?" I know airport check in agent will ask this, and I can show them my US passport. Not sure I can do this to China official or not.

Thanks
Best not to. Just apply for the China visa and use your US passport , to simplify matters.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:02 am

Although China does not recognize dual citizenship I have been told that there are Chinese who have become US citizens and still continue to use their Chinese passports. It seems that one can leave the US on your US passport, enter Hong Kong or Taiwan on your Chinese passport and then exit to the mainland. This eliminates any visa problems while they are in China and allows them to stay as long as they wish.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
If your English spelling name in your Tai Bao Zhin is not exactly the same with your name in your US passport, you will have difficulty check in at the United SFO gate if your US passport do not have valid China visa. Assume you booked your ticket using your US passport name. UA agents do not understand the different English spelling of Po Tong Hwa and Cantonese of the same Chinese words by mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:12 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ibdublin
I'm not sure if your situation would be the same as someone who had taken out citizenship of an EU country and therefore had to give up their Chinese citizenship (I gather that China doesn't allow one to have dual citizenship)?
A colleague's mother-in-law who had taken out citizenship of an EU country travelled to Beijing last year. She was taken aside at Immigration there, questioned as to why she was travelling as a non-Chinese citizen, and was detained for almost 2 wks. A "fine" had to be paid eventually to officials to free her and she got to spend just over 2 wks of her month long trip with her family in Beijing. She's sworn that it was the last time she'd ever travel back to China because of this.

I would think that your Travel DOcument relates specifically to your Taiwanese citizenship but if you're travelling under your US citizenship then you'd need to apply for a visa rather than risk a similar scenario to what I've outlined above! Better safe than sorry!
This seems an extreme case, I wonder whether you've presented the full picture here.

As rogerluli pointed out, there are some ex-Chinese citizens still using their Chinese passport (normally valid for 5 years, so probably still valid when you taken an EU citizenship) to enter China border.

Everyone from that country knows it do not allow dual nationality, why they still trying to use their Chinese passport to save the visa fee? Especially Chinese visa is not very difficult to get.

This is a very stupid thing to do, for anyone with any sence of immigration rules. A lesson been learned, and she will have a bad record.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by ibdublin

Something is wrong! Any mainland Chinese citizens naturalized in other countries will automatically lose their Chinese citizenship. In such cases, it would be illegal to travel on a Chinese passport! However, if one Chinese citizen obtains foreign citizenship not by naturalization but by other means (parentage), then things could be different.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:08 am

Countless number of Chinese HKers naturalized elsewhere (but do not automatically lose Chinese citizenship) have entered Mainland China with foreign passports+Chinese visa OR the Huixiangzheng without problems. The only possible problem would be to renew the Huixiangzheng when they have records of you as a foreigner.

Therefore I can't imagine any problems for a Taiwanese-Americans to travel to Mainland China using either US passport+Chinese visa or the Taibaozheng.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:10 am

The British passport under the full citizenship scheme in the 1990s though, might have recognition problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.