Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:53 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jiejie
Don't get people's hopes up by reporting propaganda. We've heard this before, only to have it come to naught. Whatever Beijing Municipal government approves, it's meaningless without a change in immigration (including transit) policy, which comes from the Central Chinese government. .
According to Shanghai Daily it was approved by the State Council 国务院,
Central People's Government 中央人民政府.

"The new policy has been approved by the State Council but no timetable for its introduction was announced."
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Don't get people's hopes up by reporting propaganda.

Once we start getting solid reports that people are regularly getting 72 hours--or any deviation from the current policy--we'll report it on this thread.
If you can read traditional Chinese, the news is on World Journal SF edition
(http://epaper.worldjournal.com/v2land/sf2.html). On page A11 of 16SEP2012 paper.

I did not say "effective immediately" on the title. Anyone who thinks he or she now can stay in Beijing for 72 hours without visa is extremely stupid.

Sorry, I did not know only certain people can report the transit policy change on this forum. I just thought this is a good news we can look forward to.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by sfo3388
If you can read traditional Chinese, the news is on World Journal SF edition
(http://epaper.worldjournal.com/v2land/sf2.html). On page A11 of 16SEP2012 paper.

I did not say "effective immediately" on the title. Anyone who thinks he or she now can stay in Beijing for 72 hours without visa is extremely stupid.

Sorry, I did not know only certain people can report the transit policy change on this forum. I just thought this is a good news we can look forward to.
State Council passes a number of items that never get implemented, or have years of time lag before they do so. You overestimate the intelligence of many readers of forums (not limited to FT). They see something like this news and will, indeed, jump to the conclusion that they can somehow get 72 hours' transit. Now sit back and watch.....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:29 am

Guangzhou (CAN) & Beijing (PEK) Layover Without Visa?

We have a 9-hour daytime layover in CAN and a 22-hour overnight in PEK, travelling from UK-Hong Kong and back with China Southern Airlines.

Is it still feasible to go downtown in both cities without a visa? According to several correspondents the situation sometimes seems fluid and down to the whim of individual border guards.

I haven't read all 30 odd pages of this thread, which I note goes back some years!

Anyone have specific up-to-date info on visa-free transit and escaping the airport at CAN & PEK?

Thank you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by bollinge
We have a 9-hour daytime layover in CAN and a 22-hour overnight in PEK, travelling from UK-Hong Kong and back with China Southern Airlines.

Is it still feasible to go downtown in both cities without a visa? According to several correspondents the situation sometimes seems fluid and down to the whim of individual border guards.

I haven't read all 30 odd pages of this thread, which I note goes back some years!

Anyone have specific up-to-date info on visa-free transit and escaping the airport at CAN & PEK?

Thank you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:15 am

Well, you could try reading the last few pages, which should be enough. Perhaps it's time to redo this FAQ and make a new thread however, consolidating the latest facts and advice.

As to your question--you aren't clear with your description. If you have the 9 hour in one direction and the 22 hour in the other direction, you are legal for TWOV. PEK is not normally a problem to get a transit stamp and leave the airport. CAN has been known to be a problem and refuse your request to leave without a visa on TWOV...unless you are very adamant and persistent.

If, however, you are talking about 9 + 22 hours = 31 hours on a single direction pass through, that's >24 hours and not legal for TWOV, requiring a visa.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:32 am

Thanks for your quick response.

The 9 hours is on the way to HKG, and the 22 hours is on the way back to England.

Which booth in the immigration hall should I look for in order to get the transit without visa stamp?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bollinge
Thanks for your quick response.

The 9 hours is on the way to HKG, and the 22 hours is on the way back to England.

Which booth in the immigration hall should I look for in order to get the transit without visa stamp?
Well, the transit desk, of course.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Well, the transit desk, of course.
Is it new this way? Last time I used the transit visa (well, one could say short-term-valid visa-on-arrival also..) I was just asked to join the regular "foreigner" queue, and got the stamp at the regular immigration booth (He just had to call a supervisor, but it didn't took more than maybe 2 minutes, I still had to wait for my baggage afterwards )
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Is it new this way? Last time I used the transit visa (well, one could say short-term-valid visa-on-arrival also..) I was just asked to join the regular "foreigner" queue, and got the stamp at the regular immigration booth (He just had to call a supervisor, but it didn't took more than maybe 2 minutes, I still had to wait for my baggage afterwards )
I've never met anyone who had an actual transit (G) visa, so I can't comment, but this thread pertains to transit without visa; in this case, both PEK and PVG have special lanes set up for this purpose, though you can presumably use the normal lanes as well.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 am

Transit Visa

Hi,

After talking with both the airline (airchina) and the chinese embassy in the uk I am a bit confused about transit visas. I will be flying London-Beijing-Sydney, though the Beijing-Sydney flight has a 'technical stop' in Shanghai. The total time between arriving in beijing and leaving shanghai is less than 24 hours. Do I require a transit Visa? (UK citizen)

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by moondog
in this case, both PEK and PVG have special lanes set up for this purpose, though you can presumably use the normal lanes as well.
PEK - special desk handles TWOV, dont bother with regular lines.
PVG - go to regular line, get pulled aside to booths behind regular desks, no "special" desk.

I am doing 5 hour transit in CAN next year. Not planning to leave the airport this time tho.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Exclamation Transit WITHOUT Visa

Originally Posted by skittle2403
I am a bit confused about transit visas. I will be flying London-Beijing-Sydney, though the Beijing-Sydney flight has a 'technical stop' in Shanghai. The total time between arriving in beijing and leaving shanghai is less than 24 hours. Do I require a transit Visa? (UK citizen)
Please read the post IMMEDIATELY above yours @:-)

Originally Posted by rankourabu
PEK - special desk handles TWOV, don't bother with regular lines.
PVG - go to regular line, get pulled aside to booths behind regular desks, no "special" desk.
That is EXACTLY how it went for me.

EmailKid
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by skittle2403
Hi,

After talking with both the airline (airchina) and the chinese embassy in the uk I am a bit confused about transit visas. I will be flying London-Beijing-Sydney, though the Beijing-Sydney flight has a 'technical stop' in Shanghai. The total time between arriving in beijing and leaving shanghai is less than 24 hours. Do I require a transit Visa? (UK citizen)

Thanks
No you don't. The part bolded by me is the key. A second transit stop in China is allowed whether standard or "technical" as long as the total sequence is not more than 24 hours. In PVG, your stop will be short and the Sydney-bound passengers may be grouped for special handling and kept airside, or walked through transit immigration. Just keep your eyes/ears open for how CA is handling the situation.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:26 pm

[QUOTE=EmailKid;19348196]Please read the post IMMEDIATELY above yours @:-)

The post above mine appears unrelated? Have you had experience on the london-beijing-shanghai-sydney flight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.