Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: various
Clearly CAN doesn't have it's act together on this, procedure being lost between airport staff, airline staff, and Immigration staff. If one is so moved, perhaps file a complaint with these people, who are the ones (along with airlines) with the most pressing interest in seeing TWOV succeed and increase at Guangzhou. http://english.gz.gov.cn/publicfiles...03/778229.html

With enough complaints and a declaration that next time one will transit through PEK, PVG, CTU, or HKG, there might be some local pressure to get this confusion at the airport streamlined and cleaned up.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I got the impression that they're still getting used to it, as it's new to them. I have another stopover in 2 months, so I'll see if there's an improvement then
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by seattle29
I got the impression that they're still getting used to it, as it's new to them. I have another stopover in 2 months, so I'll see if there's an improvement then
You're too forgiving. CAN has offered 72 hour Transit Without Visa since August 1, 2013. Six months should be plenty of time to have things working correctly. And prior to that, CAN certainly had the 24-hour flavor of TWOV...which also had implementation problems that were purposefully anti-passenger enough to be more than incompetence. Since the Chinese are usually quick learners when they want to be, and Guangzhou isn't known for being full of idiots, my conclusion is that there is some sort of internal inter-departmental disagreement or intransigence going on at CAN and TWOV passengers are sometimes caught in the middle.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Shanghai

Hello all,

I've read the wiki and believe I understand the 72 hour rules, but I wanted to "make sure" I have this correct.

I am flying from the USA, to Taipei, from Taipei onward to Hong Kong, from Hong Kong onward to Shanghai (under 72 hours in Shanghai), then on to Taipei for the return back to the USA. The way I read the rules, since Hong Kong is considered a "third country," I believe I should be ok.

All of these flights will be on the same itinerary, with the exception of my flight from Hong Kong to Shanghai (different alliance). I will have everything printed out to show the onward third country (Taiwan) from Shanghai.

Do I have this correct? Thanks so much.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Hello all,

I've read the wiki and believe I understand the 72 hour rules, but I wanted to "make sure" I have this correct.

I am flying from the USA, to Taipei, from Taipei onward to Hong Kong, from Hong Kong onward to Shanghai (under 72 hours in Shanghai), then on to Taipei for the return back to the USA. The way I read the rules, since Hong Kong is considered a "third country," I believe I should be ok.

All of these flights will be on the same itinerary, with the exception of my flight from Hong Kong to Shanghai (different alliance). I will have everything printed out to show the onward third country (Taiwan) from Shanghai.

Do I have this correct? Thanks so much.
yes, you are correct.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes, you are correct.
Wow - fast - thank you.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Correct, but you should also have a printout of your hotel reservation in Shanghai.

Also, since airline GAs don't always know about TWOV (or they "believe" that it's not possible and are very certain about this) and don't necessarily know how to use TIMATIC properly, try to carry printouts of TIMATIC (ideally from your airline's or alliance's website) and any documentation you can find of the rules.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Correct, but you should also have a printout of your hotel reservation in Shanghai.

Also, since airline GAs don't always know about TWOV (or they "believe" that it's not possible and are very certain about this) and don't necessarily know how to use TIMATIC properly, try to carry printouts of TIMATIC (ideally from your airline's or alliance's website) and any documentation you can find of the rules.

Will do - thank you.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by jiejie
You're too forgiving. CAN has offered 72 hour Transit Without Visa since August 1, 2013. Six months should be plenty of time to have things working correctly. And prior to that, CAN certainly had the 24-hour flavor of TWOV...which also had implementation problems that were purposefully anti-passenger enough to be more than incompetence. Since the Chinese are usually quick learners when they want to be, and Guangzhou isn't known for being full of idiots, my conclusion is that there is some sort of internal inter-departmental disagreement or intransigence going on at CAN and TWOV passengers are sometimes caught in the middle.
A rather funny update... a colleague of mine entered Guangzhou with a TWOV yesterday, and he was given a purple sticker by the transit counter to wear on his jacket.

My first time: No sticker
My second time: Green sticker
His first time: Purple sticker

What do these mysterious colours mean?

No sticker = passenger was nice to us
Green sticker = passenger tried to outsmart us
Purple sticker = passenger is American

???
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How to construct ticket on ICN-PVG-TPE-ICN to be able to use TWOV?

We will have 2 weeks in Asia thanks to the UA devaluation.

ICN is where we use as destination in constructing the itinerary, and would like to use it as the starting and end point on the Asia portion of the itinerary.

We have relatives in TPE that we like to visit.

If we want to take advantage of the TWOV, what kind of itinerary(ies) that would allow it, and that would let us back to ICN?

ICN-PVG-TPE-ICN would cost the least as a single award ticket, as it costs the same as ICN-PVG-TPE only.

But I am afraid that would not work even with TPE being in the middle.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
We will have 2 weeks in Asia thanks to the UA devaluation.

ICN is where we use as destination in constructing the itinerary, and would like to use it as the starting and end point on the Asia portion of the itinerary.

We have relatives in TPE that we like to visit.

If we want to take advantage of the TWOV, what kind of itinerary(ies) that would allow it, and that would let us back to ICN?
your proposed ICN-PVG-TPE-ICN is just fine.

the arriving flight and departing flight cannot be to the same country, you have satisfied that.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

the arriving flight and departing flight cannot be to the same country, you have satisfied that.
Cr*p! I totally missed that part! We are flying SEA-NRT-PEK on NH. <72 hours in PEK then on to KIX. We are screwed, right? Or does the fact that we are only connecting in Japan make it ok since we originate in the US? Does that brief, 1 hour-ish transit in Japan and the fact we are then going there for 2 weeks after PEK means we need an actual visa as the last point we touch before arriving in PRC is Japan? We are Canadian, not that it matters. I didn't even think of that when I routed us through NRT. I just wanted to fly the NH 787!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Cr*p! I totally missed that part! We are flying SEA-NRT-PEK on NH. <72 hours in PEK then on to KIX. We are screwed, right? Or does the fact that we are only connecting in Japan make it ok since we originate in the US? Does that brief, 1 hour-ish transit in Japan and the fact we are then going there for 2 weeks after PEK means we need an actual visa as the last point we touch before arriving in PRC is Japan? We are Canadian, not that it matters. I didn't even think of that when I routed us through NRT. I just wanted to fly the NH 787!
NRT-PEK-KIX is not valid for TWOV. It's your point of last embarkation that matters.

If you could route NRT-ICN-PEK you'd be ok.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
NRT-PEK-KIX is not valid for TWOV. It's your point of last embarkation that matters.

If you could route NRT-ICN-PEK you'd be ok.
Cr*p, cr*p, cr*p! I booked SEA-NRT first, specifically choosing the NH 787 J. Then we decided to add on the PEK segment 'cause we figured we were already all the way over there and we have never been to the PRC and it was a free add on using UA miles pre-deval. Easy. Flights to KIX on separate NH booking and the flights home booked on different PNR using AS miles in AA F. I don't want to re-route as I really, really want to try the 787. So it's off to the Chinese Consulate I go.....

But first, off to the PRC visa forum which I will read much more closely than I obviously did this one. It can't be that big a deal to get a one-entry visa, can it? Many, many thanks to all of you for at least helping me to catch this now rather than thinking we were all good.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:53 pm

I just re-read the Wiki and I am thinking it should be updated so no one else makes the same mistake I did. It just says 'holding confirmed onward tickets' but nothing about not arriving and departing from the same country. Not blaming anyone but myself here - it is totally my fault and I have not only read this thread (heck, I am subscribed to it) in it's entirety, but also checked Timatic, google and the Consulate website and I missed that salient point so maybe others will as well. In hindsight, that is a pretty basic rule for any TWOV and had I thought it through more, it should have dawned on me to at least ask that question. But I think an update of the Wiki will definitely keep someone else from doing what I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.