Wiki Posts
Search

shanghai airport car service to hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
shanghai airport car service to hotel

I dont trust the shanghai cabbies, and i am fearful of being taken for a ride... Is there a reputable car service that can take me to my hotel (at SICC - convention center) when I arrive?
thanks
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Why not contact your hotel concierge? I'm sure they can arrange an airport pickup.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:00 pm

If you're heading from the airport to the hotel, rarely will the cabbies rip you off (too badly). Plus, if you use the hotel queue there will be a translator to whom you tell your ultimate destination and he will inform that driver.

If, you're still fearful, almost any hotel that caters to Westerners will have a car service from the airport. Just give the place you're staying a call and ask for a the car service. They definitely will be able to speak enough English to help you. They're will charge you a pretty penny, though, for it -- expect to pay probably about $100USD for transit between the airport and the hotel for a private car vs. $10-$12 for a cab.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say the cab is more like $20-25 these days, but the hotel cars really do cost $100-150. In 8-10 visits to Shanghai, so far -- knock on wood -- I haven't been ripped off significantly by a taxi from PVG.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:32 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I don't recall the cabs being that low $10-12 back in the 8.2RMB days. Should be more like 20USD+ now.

Might as well take advantage of the good price in Shanghai and take a taxi from the airport to your hotel @ 25USD. Save the $100 and use for NYC where you have no choice but to take a car service for a high price.

Make sure to go to the taxi queue..don't go with those roaming touts. They could rip you off.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by sambb
I dont trust the shanghai cabbies, and i am fearful of being taken for a ride... Is there a reputable car service that can take me to my hotel (at SICC - convention center) when I arrive?
thanks
Is there any reason you think the cabbies in Shanghai might try to take you for a 'ride'? I use taxi from the airport to hotels in Shanghai many times, I was never over charged, or had any problem. At the end of each journey, a receipt is printed out automatically.

After arrival PVG (Shanghai Pudong) just follow the signs to the taxi stand. There will be a man or two on duty to note down the taxi number and your destination. It should cost you between 150 – 190 RMB (USD 22 – 28) depends on how far is your hotel. A receipt will print out automatically at the end of your journey.

The thing to remember is to have your hotel name and address written or printed out in Chinese. Most of the hotel websites will have name in Chinese for you to print out. If you are going to a friend’s house, then have the address printed out in Chinese.

Last edited by SQ4000; Nov 26, 2008 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum
this topic seems to come up every couple of months!

I must have taken dozens of taxis from Pudong (and Hongqiao for that matter) to a variety of places in Shanghai. The nearest I have ever come to being ripped off is when the driver said he wanted to finish his shift and could he drive faster...what he meant was to go the longer (but faster) way. We got it sorted fairly amicably

As mentioned by others, all receipts are preprinted. The system is simple enough, queue at the official rank (don't use the touts) and when you get to the front, tell the airport employee (who speaks English) where you want to go. He will tell the taxi driver and make sure he knows it.

I think it's a waste of money going for the car service. If you feel really nervous due to language barriers, first time in China etc then fair enough but the driver would have to rip you off by circumnavigating the whole city to even get close to the car fee

Couple of weeks ago it was about RMB180 to Hongqiao area and about RMB75 from Pudong financial district to Pudong airport as I remember. That should be a reasonable guide I think. By the way, you may be aware already but tipping the driver is extremely unusual. He won't refuse it, but you may have to pick him up off the floor in his surpirse

nickyboy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.