Wiki Posts
Search

5 hours in PEK airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

5 hours in PEK airport

Hi
I've got a 5 hour layover in PEK airport. Any advice. I can go to the *A lounge but still seems like alot of time to kill...

Is there a airport hotel that I can get a few hours in...maybe even gym and massage?

If I choose to stay in airport..do I REALLY not need a VISA? i have heard for INTL to INTL travel you still need to check out and in again?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:40 pm

The lounge (China Airlines) at PEK is pretty bleak. There are a couple of other small lounges that appear to be linked to credit cards or mobile phone subscriptions - look a little better but not 7 hours worth.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
i don't think China Airlines has scheduled commercial flights to Beijing. You probably refer to Air China or China Air
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by llbean
Hi
I've got a 5 hour layover in PEK airport. Any advice. I can go to the *A lounge but still seems like alot of time to kill...

Is there a airport hotel that I can get a few hours in...maybe even gym and massage?
Thanks!
Moondog knows more about this, and it appears that there is some nearby to the airport options. However, it would involve the tricky issue of transit visas.

5 hrs is pretty much near the cutoff of safety to get from the airport, to the hotel, to the spa, then back again in time for your onward flight, so it may not be worth risking it (especially if you don't speak any Chinese).

If you can, changing the connection point to NRT, HKG, ICN, or even KIX would give you a lot better/more options than PEK.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Moondog knows more about this, and it appears that there is some nearby to the airport options. However, it would involve the tricky issue of transit visas.

5 hrs is pretty much near the cutoff of safety to get from the airport, to the hotel, to the spa, then back again in time for your onward flight, so it may not be worth risking it (especially if you don't speak any Chinese).

If you can, changing the connection point to NRT, HKG, ICN, or even KIX would give you a lot better/more options than PEK.
I've got a 5 hr layover too. On Dec 22nd I'll be there that night. (If you're there we can try to find some people to arrange a poker game. haha) Moondog suggested getting a massage at one of the hotels nearby...but not much else. It appears that it may not be worth the hassle of leaving the airport and returning.

I think I may just suck it up and just hunker down somewhere in the airport for 5 hrs. Or maybe I can run back forth from one end to the other and get myself tired for the red eye.

If your trip is before mine, let us know what you ended up doing and if you found anything to do / see that's real close.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andrewwm
However, it would involve the tricky issue of transit visas.
the transit "visa" is simply a diamond shaped passport stamp. furthermore, until recently, airside transfers were completely impossible (now they are possible when flying ca).

i suppose we all have our own opinions about whether or not leaving the airport justifies the hassel..... and my opinion is "absolutely". the sino swiss may not be a 5-star hotel, but the restaurants are surprisingly good and it is perhaps 10x more comfortable than pek terminal 2.

another option is the lido, which is about 15 minutes away from the airport by taxi. there is more to do in the area (fake markets, bars, and restaurants) and i might be willing to make the treck up to meet either of you if i'm in town.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Hey
Nice offer. I'm Dec 10th if your in town.

If I transfer without leaving Airport do I need a transit visa in advance? Do I if I leave to the hotel?

Is 5 hours enought time to take a taxi to the hotel, work out/massage or whatever and get back?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:36 am

Hey
Nice offer. I'm Dec 10th if your in town.

If I transfer without leaving Airport do I need a transit visa in advance? Do I if I leave to the hotel?
no

Is 5 hours enought time to take a taxi to the hotel, work out/massage or whatever and get back?
5 hours is certainly enough for the sino swiss (which is only ~2.5 km from the terminals); you might end up with a really angry taxi driver

the lido is only slightly less convenient (figure an additional 30 minutes total).
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Ok...so I just learned that I will have a 9 hour layover at PEK from midnight tonight through 9a tomorrow morning. Aside from the Sino Swiss...can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to sleep for a few hours?

Cameron
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Ok...so I just learned that I will have a 9 hour layover at PEK from midnight tonight through 9a tomorrow morning. Aside from the Sino Swiss...can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to sleep for a few hours?

Cameron
In addition to the Sino Swiss, the flight crews seem to favor the Lido (priciest option), Rosedale (~$50 per night), and the Shanghai(?) Airlines Hotel (which can't be very nice or expensive).
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I believe I've seen a flight crew or two at the Kempinski, though this was over 2 years ago.. And the Kempinski is a bit far, nor is it cheap.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I believe I've seen a flight crew or two at the Kempinski, though this was over 2 years ago.. And the Kempinski is a bit far, nor is it cheap.
LH crews stay at the Kempinski because LH is one of the owners. I've never seen other airlines' crews there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
no

5 hours is certainly enough for the sino swiss (which is only ~2.5 km from the terminals); you might end up with a really angry taxi driver

the lido is only slightly less convenient (figure an additional 30 minutes total).
So I dont need a transit visa even to leave the airport?

And what is available at Sino-Swiss? Do they rent day rooms?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
So I dont need a transit visa even to leave the airport?

And what is available at Sino-Swiss? Do they rent day rooms?
I think you do need a visa if you leave the airport, since you have to clear immigration to get to the exit.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by mapu
I think you do need a visa if you leave the airport, since you have to clear immigration to get to the exit.
No, int-->int transit pax don't require visas now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.