Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong to Shenzhen Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Trans-Island also have service to SZX via Shenzhen Bay. They have more points for boarding.

http://www.trans-island.com.hk/eng/index.html
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Trans-Island also have service to SZX via Shenzhen Bay. They have more points for boarding.

http://www.trans-island.com.hk/eng/index.html
Thanks.

In my particular situation, the boarding and alighting locations of Chinalink are more convenient for me if I am looking for those buses that use the Shenzhen Bay crossing.

BTW is Terminal A and Terminal B at SZX connected? Does the bus stop at both terminals or does it stop at some transportation centre that is "central" to both?

I shall be flying CZ out of SZX in F.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
BTW is Terminal A and Terminal B at SZX connected? Does the bus stop at both terminals or does it stop at some transportation centre that is "central" to both?
The two are side by side, with a short connector (and a restaurant) between the two on the departure level. But my most recent experience with Chinalink is that they simply stop the bus at the curb between the two for both terminals. Walk forward for T2, back for T1.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Clipper801
There are more than 1 service provider. Can you recall which one? Did you board at the Wharney in Wanchai or the Metropark Causeway Bay in Tin Hau? Can you remember if you used Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay crossing?

Thanks.
Can't 100% remember right now, but I think I was at the Wharney in Wanchai (it was a hotel in Wanchai for sure). I crossed at Shenzhen Bay. If you want, I can look more into what I did...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Can't 100% remember right now, but I think I was at the Wharney in Wanchai (it was a hotel in Wanchai for sure). I crossed at Shenzhen Bay. If you want, I can look more into what I did...
No need but thanks.

You must have used Chinalink. There are pick up at only 2 hotels on HK island side. The pick up at Wharney uses Shenzhen Bay and is operated by Chinalink. The bus also stops at Nathan Hotel in Kowloon and then the Element before heading to Shenzhen Airport via Shenzhen Bay crossing. Wharney is located in Wanchai.

The other hotel pick up is at the Metropark Causeway Bay and I believe that it's operated by China Travel Service and uses the Huanggang crossing. Metropark Causeway Bay is located in Tin Hau at the eastern fringe of Causeway Bay/western fringe of North Point.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:32 am

The two are side by side, with a short connector (and a restaurant) between the two on the departure level. But my most recent experience with Chinalink is that they simply stop the bus at the curb between the two for both terminals. Walk forward for T2, back for T1.
Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:00 pm

Cool HKG to Dongguan round trip

Hi, thank you all for useful information.
If it is possible, please help me to find the best way to get from Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui) to Dongguan (Guangdong International Center of Exhibitions), returning the same day.
I read that it is possible to get there by Air, by Ferry, by Train, and by bus.
Although the plane is going to take abou 1 hour, you must go to the airport, then wait for your plane, then get from the airport to the place, etc. I was hoping to find the easiest and most comfortable way; at my age I must take care of this spoilt bones.
Is there any Ferry which can do the same trip in about a couple of hours? Is it safe and comfortable?

Thank you in advance, godspeed,
Tomate
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lord Tomate
Hi, thank you all for useful information.
If it is possible, please help me to find the best way to get from Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui) to Dongguan (Guangdong International Center of Exhibitions), returning the same day.
I read that it is possible to get there by Air, by Ferry, by Train, and by bus.
Although the plane is going to take abou 1 hour, you must go to the airport, then wait for your plane, then get from the airport to the place, etc. I was hoping to find the easiest and most comfortable way; at my age I must take care of this spoilt bones.
Is there any Ferry which can do the same trip in about a couple of hours? Is it safe and comfortable?

Thank you in advance, godspeed,
Tomate
There is no flight from HKG to SZX (Shenzhen), the closest airport for Dongguan, since such 23-mile flight makes no sense and not economical feasible.

There's no passenger port in Dongguan with direct ferry service from Hong Kong. From HK, one can take a ferry to Shekou in Shenzhen, but that only covers 1/3 of your distance to Dongguan.

There are buses to various points in Dongguan, though I'm not familiar with the place you're going. The fast "D" trains between Shenzhen and Guangzhou East usually make 3 stops in Dongguan, one of which may be fairly close to where you need to go. Some of the direct trains from Kowloon (in HK) to Guangzhou also makes a stop in Changping (about 20 miles from center of Dongguan).

Best way is to get a private car/van from Hong Kong, especially if someone's paying for your trip.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just did the HKG-Shekou-SZH route last weekend so here are my thoughts.

1 hour ferry from Hong Kong is pretty nice. You can also take the same ferry from Macau. Keep in mind this is run by a Chinese company, so don't expect the same service as Turbo Jet. My SuperClass ticket didn't get anything other than a cup of tea.

Other than that, takes about an hour. Once you get to Shekou, queue up at the taxi stand. Takes about 30 min via cab to the airport, make sure you get a legit cab as there are many folks who will try to negotiate a ride to the airport while you queue up.

Overall, it was much faster than a bus from HKG which took 2.5 hours. Biggest reason is that the customs is fast in HKG, and when you arrive in Shekou pretty quick. Make sure though that you get to the front of the queue when you arrive in Shekou, there was only 1 foreigner line and if you got in the back, you'd be waiting quite a while.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Just did the HKG-Shekou-SZH route last weekend so here are my thoughts.

1 hour ferry from Hong Kong is pretty nice. You can also take the same ferry from Macau. Keep in mind this is run by a Chinese company, so don't expect the same service as Turbo Jet. My SuperClass ticket didn't get anything other than a cup of tea.

Other than that, takes about an hour. Once you get to Shekou, queue up at the taxi stand. Takes about 30 min via cab to the airport, make sure you get a legit cab as there are many folks who will try to negotiate a ride to the airport while you queue up.

Overall, it was much faster than a bus from HKG which took 2.5 hours. Biggest reason is that the customs is fast in HKG, and when you arrive in Shekou pretty quick. Make sure though that you get to the front of the queue when you arrive in Shekou, there was only 1 foreigner line and if you got in the back, you'd be waiting quite a while.
Thanks for the report. But just curious, why don't you just take the ferry to Fuyong? Is it because it's less frequent and you just miss one sailing?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:36 pm

Thank you very much for your information Rkkwan.
Also, I found the MTR intercity, which goes several times a day from HKG (Hung Hom) to Guangzhou East/Dongguan. Do you know if this is going to leave me near the Modern International Exhibition Centre?
Thanks again,
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much for your information Rkkwan.
Also, I found the MTR intercity, which goes several times a day from HKG (Hung Hom) to Guangzhou East/Dongguan. Do you know if this is going to leave me near the Modern International Exhibition Centre?
Thanks again,
Like I said, I'm not familiar with Dongguan, but I look up Modern International Exhibition Center. It is in the part of Dongguan called Huojie (厚街). Not sure about exact location of the exhibition place, but there's a big Sheraton Hotel in Huojie, and is not far from the Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway.

Now, the G-S Expressway goes up the west side of Dongguan, while the train track goes up the east side. The Dongguan (Changping) train station (which some of the Intercities or so-called "Through Trains" stops at) ends up 22 miles from Huojie as the crow flies. It'll take a long taxi ride.

An option is a coach. When I search the Chinese version of the China Travel Service website, ctshk.com, I found frequent CTS buses that make the stop at the Dongguan Sheraton. You can board at various points in Hong Kong, and then transfer at the Huanggang border crossing.

But Huanggang is a horrible crossing even for those who speak and read Chinese, as you need to get off with all your luggage first for HK immigration, reboard the bus for a 1-minute drive over the bridge to the Chinese side, and then clear Chinese immigration. After that, you look among many coaches for the one you're taking. Or more likely, a rep from the CTS coach will recognize you by the sticker they put on you and direct you to the appropriate coach to Dongguan. Don't lose that sticker.

If you do that, make sure you have the name of the Sheraton in Chinese written down, and before you get off the bus at the Chinese immigration, ask the bus driver to write down or draw EXACTLY where you board the other bus towards Dongguan Huojie. In fact, the bus may not go directly to the Sheraton and you may need a transfer somewhere along the way, I don't know.

Come to think of it, maybe taking a taxi from the Dongguan train station is a better bet afterall. Hopefully, someone with better knowledge of Dongguan can help you with it.

Last edited by rkkwan; Sep 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:35 am

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Dongguan, but I look up Modern International Exhibition Center. It is in the part of Dongguan called Huojie (厚街). Not sure about exact location of the exhibition place, but there's a big Sheraton Hotel in Huojie, and is not far from the Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway.

Now, the G-S Expressway goes up the west side of Dongguan, while the train track goes up the east side. The Dongguan (Changping) train station (which some of the Intercities or so-called "Through Trains" stops at) ends up 22 miles from Huojie as the crow flies. It'll take a long taxi ride.

An option is a coach. When I search the Chinese version of the China Travel Service website, ctshk.com, I found frequent CTS buses that make the stop at the Dongguan Sheraton. You can board at various points in Hong Kong, and then transfer at the Huanggang border crossing.

But Huanggang is a horrible crossing even for those who speak and read Chinese, as you need to get off with all your luggage first for HK immigration, reboard the bus for a 1-minute drive over the bridge to the Chinese side, and then clear Chinese immigration. After that, you look among many coaches for the one you're taking. Or more likely, a rep from the CTS coach will recognize you by the sticker they put on you and direct you to the appropriate coach to Dongguan. Don't lose that sticker.

If you do that, make sure you have the name of the Sheraton in Chinese written down, and before you get off the bus at the Chinese immigration, ask the bus driver to write down or draw EXACTLY where you board the other bus towards Dongguan Huojie. In fact, the bus may not go directly to the Sheraton and you may need a transfer somewhere along the way, I don't know.

Come to think of it, maybe taking a taxi from the Dongguan train station is a better bet afterall. Hopefully, someone with better knowledge of Dongguan can help you with it.

Hi, Rkkwan, thank you for your report.
Last thing, do you know if it is possible to get near the Exhibit Center by Ferry, and if it, how would be the border crossing matters?
Thank you again and best regards,
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, Rkkwan, thank you for your report.
Last thing, do you know if it is possible to get near the Exhibit Center by Ferry, and if it, how would be the border crossing matters?
Thank you again and best regards,
Like I said earlier, there's no ferry from center Hong Kong to any port in Dongguan. The only ferry option from center HK is to Shekou in Shenzhen, and that's another 40-some miles to Houjie. Don't know if the Shenzhen taxis will take you there or not.

There is a port at Humen/Taiping in Dongguan, but only have ferry services from HKG if you're connecting from a flight into HKG.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the report. But just curious, why don't you just take the ferry to Fuyong? Is it because it's less frequent and you just miss one sailing?
In my case the ferry times to Fuyong weren't convenient. Turbojet does not publish HKG-Shenzhen ferry times on the web nor on their brochures. I don't think you can go HKG-SZH via ferry, I'm pretty sure you have to go to Shekou. From Macau you can do both Macau-SZH/Shekou.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.