Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rail Travel in China - how is it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
As a question for the locals.
looking at heading to Shanghai for the F1 and thinking of a few days in Wuxi/Suzouh/Hangzhou before and after (prob just one day each so I can fit in a 144TWOV)

Do you need to book these short journeys in advance (with the $5+ booking fee) or can you do it on the day,
Or would you just get a taxi so as to not have to go through the train security and ticket collection etc
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:48 am

Especially on weekends-- when Shanghai people tend to do exactly what you're doing -- you could end up having to hang around the station for a couple of hours waiting for the next available train.

If that "$5 fee" refers to buying on ctrip, that's not necessary. Just buy in advance from one of the small ticket offices dotted all over Shanghai. Then no need to line-up at the station to get your ticket, either. Fee is 5RMB buying from one of these places.

Last edited by 889; Mar 1, 2018 at 4:01 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Yeh. Was referring to ctrip as buying out of country iniially, but might start with Wuxi, and then work my way back to Shanghai mostly travelling weekday non-peak.

Arriving 6.30pm at PVG would you recommend direct bus to Wuxi, bus to Hongquaio, metro to Railway and unbooked ticket (or book on last train) or Maglev, Lines then unbooked rail.

I've been on the Maglev before so not a must do on this trip.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:46 am

Buy all the tickets that you need when you arrive in the first city, then you have what you want. If you wait at the station before each train, you may have to wait a couple of hours for the next train with available seats. But if your schedule is quite firm. nothing wrong with paying an agent to do it. A small amount relative to the cost of the trip.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:05 am

I don't think much at all of Wuxi -- Suzhou is far more amenable -- but if I had to go there I supppose the direct bus would be most convenient.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JPDM
Buy all the tickets that you need when you arrive in the first city, then you have what you want. If you wait at the station before each train, you may have to wait a couple of hours for the next train with available seats. But if your schedule is quite firm. nothing wrong with paying an agent to do it. A small amount relative to the cost of the trip.
The agents will need the travelers' passports to pick up tickets. Won't they?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:05 am

An agent, like ctrip, needs passport numbers only. The agent doesn't get you the actual physical ticket, but a confirmation code you exchange for the ticket at the station by showing your passport.

If you buy your ticket ahead of time at one of the small city ticket offices, you need to show your passport and you get your actual ticket then and there.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by moa999
Arriving 6.30pm at PVG would you recommend direct bus to Wuxi, bus to Hongquaio, metro to Railway ....
Take the bus directly to Wuxi. There is no advantage in going into Shanghai town in order to take high speed rail.

The Nanjing-Zhenjiang-Wuxi-Suzhou-Shanghai-Hangzhou arc is China's Acela Corridor times 10. You can basically jump onto the next or next-next train with no problems, especially on a weekday, but why not download the Ctrip app and monitor the situation a couple of hours beforehand?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
The agents will need the travelers' passports to pick up tickets. Won't they?
No. Either they send you the confirmation number and you pick up the tickets at the station or they send the tickets to your hotel (for a higher fee) and they don't need your passport for these two options.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:05 pm

No. Either they send you the confirmation number and you pick up the tickets at the station or they send the tickets to your hotel (for a higher fee) and they don't need your passport for these two options.
Originally I thought you meant buying yourself and ask someone as your agent just to pick it up.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by moa999
As a question for the locals.
looking at heading to Shanghai for the F1 and thinking of a few days in Wuxi/Suzouh/Hangzhou before and after (prob just one day each so I can fit in a 144TWOV)

Do you need to book these short journeys in advance (with the $5+ booking fee) or can you do it on the day,
Or would you just get a taxi so as to not have to go through the train security and ticket collection etc
If you are talking the Highspeed rail, my quick 2cents

Get the tickets ahead of time, the train station depending on time / date you travel can be packed. There are a lot of people in Shanghai and they all use the train for intercity travel.

Don't underestimate the time it takes to get tickets, get thru security etc. A few weeks ago we were torn between pre-buying and paying a fee versus just show up. Was very happy I paid a bit more get the tickets ahead of time. As to other's advice, I'd say pay more and get agent to deliver the physical tickets to you. Unless you have a lot of time and know where to go the train-station is huge and can be an easy place to get lost.

Enjoy your travels

Last edited by chipmaster; Mar 4, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Easy to get lost in a train station? Even the largest ones are extremely simple.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:05 am

Easy to get lost in a train station? Even the largest ones are extremely simple.
I was in Beijing South the first time when I couldn't find the ticketing booths. I decided to ask information after 3-4 minutes. It just happened I entered from the wrong entrance where the ticketing offices were on the other side. Also, it should be noted that the shortest lines are usually for ticket returns.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Thanks, I have been to China seven times and never knew train tickets could be purchased that way. I have bought flight tickets ahead of time on the web, but always queued up at the station for tickets. Next time...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by catcher1
Thanks, I have been to China seven times and never knew train tickets could be purchased that way. I have bought flight tickets ahead of time on the web, but always queued up at the station for tickets. Next time...
Pretty simple to do as you can see here:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.