Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Maglev or Taxi at Shanghai?

Old Dec 27, 06, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're staying at the Renaissance Yangtze. Normally, we just take taxis from the airport to the hotel (this is true anywhere -- it's usually easier, we're usually tired, and with two of us travelling, the cost is usually close to the same). However, I'd like to take the maglev train, just for the sake of taking it. Would that create a lot of extra hassle? Are we better off doing the maglev on our way home? Or, perhaps, just skipping it altogether?
Old Dec 27, 06, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I rode the maglev one time. It was a night. I think its better in daylight as you would get more visual effect of the speed.

The maglev might be a hassle if you have a lot of luggage. But if travelling lite its no problem. It goes fairly close to your hotel..just a few minutes taxi ride away.

Where the maglev ends its run from the airport, makes sense only in that point, is where the maglev can reach max velocity then slow and stop. Its worth spending a little extra time to ride it...its fun.
Old Dec 27, 06, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm ceratainly no expert on this, but in my limited experience, it seems to me that taking the Maglev is seldom going to be the most efficient means to get to/from the airport from central Shanghai. I took it for the experience, not for convenience. For me, it was like a Disney ride.

We did it with a fair amount of luggage (between the two of us, we had 2 big bags, two smaller bags, and two carry-ons). We had no problems boarding and riding the maglev. There was ample space in the luggage racks for our bags. However, the passenger load that day was quite light. I don't know if it ever gets crowded.
Old Dec 28, 06, 4:13 am
In memoriam

The mag lev is fun, but the "city" terminal is quite a cab ride from the city.

Also, keep in mind that one of the trains had a fire this Summer and, as there are apparently only two trains, they had to cut the schedule in half, from every 15 minutes to every 30. With increased passenger load due to running a half schedule.

If this has been fixed, I would go for it as a one time experience. It really is interesting.
Old Dec 28, 06, 9:48 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Arrange the hotel to book a taxi for you at a fixed price. The driver can then wait for you at an agreed maglev terminal exit carrying a card with your name. I've taken taxis there a few times and it's not always that convenient plus some dtivers don't know much more about the city than you do.
Old Dec 28, 06, 11:56 am

Everyone should try it once....it's an utter blast albeit very very short ride (time wise). Either way, to hotel or to airport, whatever is more convenient for you but don't miss the opportunity....IMHO
Old Dec 28, 06, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree that riding the maglev is great fun, and I make a point of doing it every so often. That being said, the city station is rather inconvenient and the wait can be longish. Moondog says that he has timed it and that taking the bus from downtown is actually faster, so ride the maglev as a tourist attraction, not as the fastest means of getting to or from the airport.
Old Dec 30, 06, 11:58 am

Mr Zhu has never tried. First too expensive and lately rumors about safety. Of course shanghai always has rumors and many not true. That and the fact that it is a train to nowheresville.

Do be warned that most of the taxis at the
"city station" for the maglev are gypsy cabs and will rip you off. They have all of the markings of real cabs but are fake. One of the shanghai papers recently ran an article about how a laowai was taken by one them, lost all there money, and were dropped in the middle of nowhere.

Of course the taxi ride from PVG s also very scary/dangerous. Still if you go to the taxi stand (exit the door to the far right when you come down the escalator) you should be ok. Alternatively Mr Zhu imagines the Yangtze has a booth at arrivals.

Finally, anacapamalibu noted that your hotel is only a few minutes from the maglev, Mr Zhu may be confused but he is fairly certain that your hotel is in Hongqaio (unless there are two Renaissance hotels which is quite possible) but if it is the Renaissance in honqiao than the maglev will barely get you can closer than the airport already is.
Old Dec 30, 06, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are two Renaissance hotels in Shanghai -- one is in Pudong, the other is on Yan An Xi Road. I'm traveling with my wife, who is Chinese -- I don't need to worry about getting the gweilo treatment - she's not at all shy about telling taxi drivers where they should be going, and how much it should cost. I know what you mean about the taxi ride -- those guys go fast (though not as fast as the Maglev). I've never had a problem getting an airport taxi in China, even when I'm traveling alone. It's usually pretty clear which is the "official" taxi stand and it's a good rule anywhere in the world, not just China, to ignore taxi touts.
Old Dec 31, 06, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
There are two Renaissance hotels in Shanghai -- one is in Pudong, the other is on Yan An Xi Road. I'm traveling with my wife, who is Chinese -- I don't need to worry about getting the gweilo treatment - she's not at all shy about telling taxi drivers where they should be going, and how much it should cost. I know what you mean about the taxi ride -- those guys go fast (though not as fast as the Maglev). I've never had a problem getting an airport taxi in China, even when I'm traveling alone. It's usually pretty clear which is the "official" taxi stand and it's a good rule anywhere in the world, not just China, to ignore taxi touts.
If you do take the maglev be advised most of the 'taxi' drivers at the 'city station' will NOT pick up native chinese (too hard to rip off). So you may want to do the approaching. Alternatively it does connect to the number 2 line of the subway.
Old Dec 31, 06, 3:56 pm

Definitely try Maglev (it is easier without luggage though).

My (Chinese) SO and I got a taxi right away at Maglev station.
Not sure what constitutes a "ripoff"; I've never had a single problem with taxis in Shanghai or Beijing for that matter even when going alone.
Old Dec 31, 06, 5:31 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post

Actually pretty far from the Maglev terminal...maybe 20-30 minutes.

The Renaissance Yangtze Shanghai Hotel, is strategically located in the heart of the commercial district of Hongqiao. It is 10 minutes drive from the Shanghai Everbright Convention and Exhibition Centre, and is next to the Shanghai Mart, a large international trade centre. Rooms are spacious and well presented, with modern facilities. Formerly known as the Yangtze New World Hotel
Old Dec 31, 06, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by gbjd1205 View Post
I agree that riding the maglev is great fun, and I make a point of doing it every so often. That being said, the city station is rather inconvenient and the wait can be longish. Moondog says that he has timed it and that taking the bus from downtown is actually faster, so ride the maglev as a tourist attraction, not as the fastest means of getting to or from the airport.
yes, it's true; i time that stuff.

if you're going anywhere to/from anywhere near jing-an park, the #2 bus is hard to beat (considering you probably need to wait in line to get your taxi).

as for the maglev, my most recent data point is from the westin (my boss, like many fters, likes that place) to pvg during rush hour.

iirc, i walked to the subway station (10 minutes), waited for 3 minutes, took the subway to longyang rd (20 minutes), waited for the maglev (10 minutes), took the maglev (8 minutes), walked from the maglev to the check-in counter (5 minutes). that's 53 minutes total. i think a taxi might have taken one hour during the same rush hour, but certainly an easier hour than i had to endure.... nothing about the maglev is easy
Old Dec 31, 06, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA
Renaissance Yangtze to PVG

I do this run almost weekly, and I alternate between car only and car+maglev, usually depending on the time of day. My record is under one hour, from seat to hotel or vice versa, using the car+maglev combo. The highway toward the airport can fluctuate heavily in congestion levels, but the maglev ride and waiting time combined is definitely under 20min (7 min ride + maximum waiting time of 12min) from airport to Longyang station, which is something no car can beat. Ultimately I think it comes down to whether novelty factor of the maglev is important to you.

from longyang station to the yangtze can take anywhere between 15min to 45min, depending on bridge and inner-ring traffic.
Old Jan 1, 07, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Parrotfish View Post
(7 min ride + maximum waiting time of 12min)
so, are you saying that they now run 5 times an hour? during what time frame?

(the old schedule was 3x per hour during normal business hours. then, they added some slower trains in the morning and the evening on a 2x per hour frequency. i wasn't aware of any subsequent changes.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: