Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maglev or Taxi at Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I will be arriving PVG around 430PM, so most likely will catch the rush hour traffic. Will taking the Maglev save me any time at all or should I just cab it all the way to Le Royal Meridien in Nanjing Road? I'll be taking just one spinner suitcase.
That's a tough call. The traffic is going to burn you equally if you use a taxi for any part of your journey -- the whole trip or the final leg; it's really only a factor during the last 2-3 miles. So, it basically boils down to whether or not you feel like doing the subway thing (you can take the subway to People's Square and don't have to transfer).
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I will be arriving PVG around 430PM, so most likely will catch the rush hour traffic. Will taking the Maglev save me any time at all or should I just cab it all the way to Le Royal Meridien in Nanjing Road? I'll be taking just one spinner suitcase.
Take Maglev to LongYang, Cab to your hotel. Cab won't hit traffic until it goes to North-South elevated road. Or as moondog says take line 2 to Nanjing Rd.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Take Maglev to LongYang, Cab to your hotel. Cab won't hit traffic until it goes to North-South elevated road. Or as moondog says take line 2 to Nanjing Rd.
I (attempted to) say:

-either do Maglev + subway
-or taxi all the way
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
We thought the Maglev was so worth it. Just a few minutes to Lonyang and then a short ride to wherever. Even though the taxi driver cheated us when we exited the cab, I had his ID and receipt. He had to pay dearly for that one. VP of taxi company even wanted to come to hotel to make personal apology. Turned out to be a free ride for us. Watch these guys like a hawk; when they see Americans it's like hitting the jackpot.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: SQ
don't need a cab here...the meridien is right in the middle of it all

take the maglev/subway or even just the subway if you don't have too much luggage....i don't see why people shy away from the subway all the time....it's shanghai, not shenyang. it's so much less frustrating than having to take a taxi
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
don't need a cab here...the meridien is right in the middle of it all

take the maglev/subway or even just the subway if you don't have too much luggage....i don't see why people shy away from the subway all the time....it's shanghai, not shenyang. it's so much less frustrating than having to take a taxi
The subway simply isn't very comfortable, especially after a 12 hour flight. In the unlikely event the taxi is slower (refer to our data thread), you can simply chill out with your communication device of choice.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: SQ
guess i´m a little biased because i´m young and have plenty of energy.....the taxi´s definitely easier - as long as you can speak chinese
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:50 am

And, this could be brutal; again it matters not whether you take the taxi the whole way or simply from the Maglev station to the hotel. That having been said, I still recommend the taxi options.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maltasr
We thought the Maglev was so worth it. Just a few minutes to Lonyang and then a short ride to wherever. Even though the taxi driver cheated us when we exited the cab, I had his ID and receipt. He had to pay dearly for that one. VP of taxi company even wanted to come to hotel to make personal apology. Turned out to be a free ride for us. Watch these guys like a hawk; when they see Americans it's like hitting the jackpot.
How did the cabbie cheat you?

Originally Posted by moondog
And, this could be brutal; again it matters not whether you take the taxi the whole way or simply from the Maglev station to the hotel. That having been said, I still recommend the taxi options.
Actually, these days it seems that the elevated road traffic (Really only North-South elevated road or Yan An) is really not that bad, only lasts for a little. It's the stop lights in Puxi that kill you regarding time...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:55 am

Actually, these days it seems that the elevated road traffic (Really only North-South elevated road or Yan An) is really not that bad, only lasts for a little.
They have begun enforcing (with cameras on on-ramps) the rule banning out-of-state vehicles on elevated roads during peak hour recently and that seems to have made a difference.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler

Actually, these days it seems that the elevated road traffic (Really only North-South elevated road or Yan An) is really not that bad, only lasts for a little. It's the stop lights in Puxi that kill you regarding time...
I'll explain how the cabbie cheated me later. It's a bit of a long story, but probably worth it to any novice vsitor. I will say this: ALWAYS ASK FOR AND KEEP THE RECEIPT THAT THE TAXI METER SPITS OUT. If you dtermine he has cheated you and you can prove it, he/she will probably looking for another job pronto! By the way, I use "she" guardedly because I never saw one behind the wheel. Is it permitted?

Last edited by maltasr; Mar 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm Reason: additional information
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:12 am

I was tempted to take Maglev/cab combo, but I saw there was no queue for cabs and I was afraid I'd just missed the train, so I took a cab! Arrived at 4:10PM, got inside the cab by 4:32PM and I was in my room by 5:35PM. Cab fare was RMB194, gave him RMB200 and got a receipt.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by maltasr
By the way, I use "she" guardedly because I never saw one behind the wheel. Is it permitted?
Yes they do exist.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:13 am

I was tempted to take Maglev/cab combo, but I saw there was no queue for cabs and I was afraid I'd just missed the train, so I took a cab! Arrived at 4:10PM, got inside the cab by 4:32PM and I was in my room by 5:35PM. Cab fare was RMB194, gave him RMB200 and got a receipt.
Assuming it took you 5 minutes to get from the cab to your room, you made the trip in 58 minutes, which is only about 10 minutes longer than the non-rush hour taxi. I haven't looked at our data thread in a while (and can't access the spreadsheet unless I use a VPN), but if memory serves me correctly, the Maglev + subway combo might have saved you around 5 minutes (assuming 10 minute wait time for the train), and $20. I'm (only) a little surprised by your y194 taxi fare (I would have guessed y165), but that's not totally out of line; in the unlikely event you did get "taken for a ride", the extra $5 is trivial in the context of modern Shanghai (which, is now more expensive than HK ime).
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
They have begun enforcing (with cameras on on-ramps) the rule banning out-of-state vehicles on elevated roads during peak hour recently and that seems to have made a difference.
This is enforced hardcore this AM as I not only saw many cars pulled over by the many cops standing at the ramps, but noticed the significantly less traffic. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.