Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maglev or Taxi at Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by imz14u
Portman Ritz is a good hotel location on Nanjing road. One of the prime shopping and commercial street in shanghai. And about 10 mins walk away, the closest metro station would be Jin An Temple right also right beside it the Airport bus terminus. Upon arrival at PVG you can take the a non stop bus to the terminus, believe its bus no. 2 and cost about 24RMB for the trip, if you travelling light, head east or turn left with the terminus behind you, you should get there in 10 mins. Else grab a taxi, should take you less than 3 mins to get there.

A taxi ride from PVG to Portman would cost about 160RMB in the day on regular traffic. If you arrive late past 11pm, with the midnight surchage expect to pay in the region of 200RMB. Ride time about 40 mins. If you arrive during morning or evening peak hour travel time might double.

Hope this helps.
NJ Rd W is a hair closer to the Portman, I think. More importantly, it is one station closer to PVG (assuming Maglev/subway route). But, I'd still consider the #2 bus in this situation.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 25, 2010 at 3:25 am
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Here is the Ritz's address in Chinese, just print it out & hand it over to the taxi driver.

上海波特曼丽思卡尔顿酒店
南京西路1376号
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
thank you all

thank you all. We arrive at approx 2pm and will be there with very little luggage. Perhaps a taxi or the bus will work for the ride in. This seems to be much less expensive than the RC transfer service. I think we will try the train for the departure, just to check it out.

Thank you all for the helpful responses! Although I will be there only one night, I am excited for my first experience in China. If there is anything you recommend that we do on a saturday night (or an awesome restaurant), please share. I hope it is just one of many trips in the future!

Thanks again!

Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:11 pm

Long Bar is situated at the retail podium of the hotel, many expats gather there for a drink. Grab one and talk to some of the guys whom have been here for a while.

Just across the road from the hotel to the right of the exhibition center with the hotel behind you, a cantonese place called ZEN might be quite satisfying, they do have english menus and prices reasonable.

Have fun!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by 869
If there is anything you recommend that we do on a saturday night (or an awesome restaurant), please share.
Since you're here only one night, grab a bite nearby the Portman:

- Din Tai Fung: dumpling restaurant, located right inside the Portman, nearby the taxi stand. slightly expensive, but great tasting dumplings. i always take my guests here for at least one meal (Super Brand branch has best views, but too far from Portman).

- Guyi: hunan restaurant, spicy food, great cumin ribs and sizzling pot dishes. on Fumin road, near Julu road. its a Ą12 cab ride there or a 10-15 minute walk from Portman. You may also opt for Di Shui Dong on Maoming road, another good hunan restaurant, but Guyi has the better ribs.

- Sichuan Citizen: as the name says, sichuan food. spicy and catered to foreigners. but the food's good and location is nice (donghu lu).

There are other great options, both Chinese and other cuisine, but given that you're here for the first time, i didn't suggest other asian cuisine and suggested nothing too local, hole in the wall. All have English menus.

After dinner take a cab to the bund and grab a drink at one of the many bars overlooking the river. Any time between 8 and 10 the lights will be on on the buildings on the Pudong side, quite a view. Try a place like glamour bar or new heights. (edit: this saturday 20.30-21.30 the bund lights and most lujiazui buildings will turn their lights off for one hour for earth hour, wonder how many buildings will actually do this)

If jet lag hasn't hit you yet and you're up for a party, after the bund head to a place like Mint, Vue Bar, Velvet, etc. Go wherever the party's at.....

Last edited by sniles; Mar 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by mntblue
Please also consider taking the Maglev and transfer to subway #2 at Longyang Road. The traffic around the river crossings is unbearable during the rush hour nowadays.

My current theory is that people who drive are non-Shanghain-ese. During the CNY it's so easy to get around with a car, as all the non-Shanghai-ese go home.
I suspect the CNY period has light traffic mostly because people don't have to go to work as they're public holidays.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by sniles
If jet lag hasn't hit you yet and you're up for a party, after the bund head to a place like Mint, Vue Bar, Velvet, etc. Go wherever the party's at.....
Mint is best suited for people that own mints.

My friends like Velvet quite a bit, but it's drag on weekend nights if you don't have a table (i.e. extremely crowded).
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Mint is best suited for people that own mints.

My friends like Velvet quite a bit, but it's drag on weekend nights if you don't have a table (i.e. extremely crowded).
Velvet never disappoints, but yes, you do need a table. But that goes for any place in town.
Mint is nice for a meal during the day or for a drink in the quieter area on the left at night.
Long bar, Bamboo, etc are only nice during the HSBC tournament week. Had a drink with a few of the players there a few years ago. Rest of the year its filled with the kind of expats you don't really want to hang out with (JMHO).
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
thanks again

I realize I have taken this thread completely OT. My apologies.

Just returned from my one night stay in Shanghai. We took the hotel's car into town and returned to the airport via taxi the next day. I had a great time checking out the city, at dinner overlooking the river, and going out afterward.

I dont know what I expected to see but I was blown away by Shanghai. I hope to return in the future on both business and pleasure. Thanks again, everyone, for the suggestions and tips!

Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:17 pm

http://www.seopressreleases.com/chin...lev-train/7805
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:03 pm

Will the test run on the same old track? Instead of building new cars they should lay more tracks. A taxi transfer from Longyang road to the Expo site is not something that would please anyone.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Subway/Metro line 2 (green) now runs from/to PVG and takes about an hour to get to central Pudong (Century) and another 10-minutes over to Puxi (Peoples Park). The PVG extension runs until 4p and costs 6 rmb to Century and 7 rmb to People's Park. There currently is a fast transfer across the platform at Guanglan rd station for the mainline trains but that's a lot less of a hassle than the transfer from the Maglev to the metro at Longyeng rd. Ticket machines at PVG work in English (look for the Union Jack flag symbol) and give change from bills as large as 50 rmb.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:14 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
I loved the MagLev and can thoroughly recommend it. I showed either my itinerary or BP and got the 40CNY fare. Just being on a train that runs on time and is safe is a huge novelty to an Australian and that it goes fast is a welcome bonus.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Originally Posted by Hvr
I loved the MagLev and can thoroughly recommend it. I showed either my itinerary or BP and got the 40CNY fare. Just being on a train that runs on time and is safe is a huge novelty to an Australian and that it goes fast is a welcome bonus.
I love the maglev too, I take it everytime. If you want to be in front, VIP class is in front going to the airport, and standard is in front on the way to the city.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:06 am

I will be arriving PVG around 430PM, so most likely will catch the rush hour traffic. Will taking the Maglev save me any time at all or should I just cab it all the way to Le Royal Meridien in Nanjing Road? I'll be taking just one spinner suitcase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.