Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by jichikawa
Hello, I am planning a brief trip to Beijing in October to attend a conference. (I also plan to stay a few days for tourism.) I am a dual US–Canadian citizen, living in Vancouver, Canada. I wanted to see if anyone had advice as to whether I would be better off using my Canadian or my American passport? I believe the conference host plans to help me with visa arrangements, and is asking for my passport information; I wasn't sure which passport I should give, or whether it matters.

If it's relevant, I expect that I'll be planning to travel to and from Canada.

Any advice would be appreciated!
It's a significantly lower fee on your Canadian passport.
jichikawa likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:53 am

If I buy ticket HEL-PEK-HEL and ticket PEK-BKK-PEK
and I stay only 3 days in PEK both ways, do I need visa?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
If I buy ticket HEL-PEK-HEL and ticket PEK-BKK-PEK
and I stay only 3 days in PEK both ways, do I need visa?
Not if your passport qualifies for 144 hour TWOV.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jichikawa
Hello, I am planning a brief trip to Beijing in October to attend a conference. (I also plan to stay a few days for tourism.) I am a dual US–Canadian citizen, living in Vancouver, Canada. I wanted to see if anyone had advice as to whether I would be better off using my Canadian or my American passport? I believe the conference host plans to help me with visa arrangements, and is asking for my passport information; I wasn't sure which passport I should give, or whether it matters.

If it's relevant, I expect that I'll be planning to travel to and from Canada.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Your USA passport qualifies for a ten year multiple entry visa; I'm not sure whether Canada gives ten years. You need to have about an additional year's validity on the passport.

The other issue is which passport you prefer to use for travel to mainland China. China seems to be having disputes recently with both the USA and Canada. If any problems arise, the consulate of the country's passport you used to enter is responsible for helping you.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
It's a significantly lower fee on your Canadian passport.
What's the price for a US passport holder? Maybe there is something good to having a Canadian passport. lol!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:26 am

I have Finnish EU passport.
This flights not need to be in same ticket?

I do not need transit visa?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
I have Finnish EU passport.
This flights not need to be in same ticket?

I do not need transit visa?
Flights do not need to be on same tickets.
You do not need a visa - you qualify for TWOV.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the price for a US passport holder? Maybe there is something good to having a Canadian passport. lol!
IIRC about US$160 (reciprocity with what Chinese citizens pay for USA visas), plus visa service agency fees, passport photo fees, FedEx fees, expedited processing fees, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:29 pm

My friend just sent me this today via wx (hopefully the URL works here):

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA...7Oivv2SE58DoJe

Following is a quick summary with a bit of commentary from yours truly.

New policies are being unveiled on 8/1, designed to --on the surface-- streamline X and Z visas. I say "on the surface" because there could well be other motives that are less attractive. That having been said, I will note that the RP application process is such a pain in the ... that many people either work on M visas or simply leave the country. This has had noticeable affects in the English teaching field (e.g. many small education centers simply lack the resources to sponsor RPs, and teachers have fled to countries with friendlier policies). I know that "self sufficiency" is fundamental, and highly popular, tenant of Xi's platform, but perhaps some of the measures went a bit too far.

Key points:

1. Permanent residence (green cards) will be promoted more widely. I only know a handful of people who have scored this so far, and they are heavy hitters who were invited to apply. The new policy might be a little more transparent because it includes several concrete guidelines, such as "Foreigners who have worked in China for at least 4 years, with stay of more than 6 months per year, whose salary is more than six times that of the average local salary, will be able to apply for a permanent residence permit along with their spouses and underage children"

2. 5 year RPs will be much easier to get. Perhaps this means they're retiring the grading system?
-no need to get Z visa before RP (I actually skipped the visa step myself two years ago) in first tier cities
-"Foreigners who have been working in China for 2 years without a bad record are eligible to apply for a 5-year residence permit"

3. Part time entrepreneur visas appear to be a new category, with presumably much less red tape than full Z visas or RPs

4. Foreign students who graduate from top tier universities in China will be eligible for 2 to 5 year entrepreneur visas
-this is actually kind of cool, particularly if some of the more popular (with foreign students) universities make the grade

5. Service centers are being opened to help foreigners navigate these waters
-I like this, conceptually, because the agency we use is quite expensive
percysmith likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec
I'm filling out the application for the 10-year visitor's visa so I can do a mileage run in October.
I'm getting married five days before my trip and my (future) husband is not going with me. Should I put my marital status as "Married" (as I will be when I leave) or "Single" (as I am when applying)? On the major family members, should I note him as my husband or fiance?

I don't want to send them inaccurate info! Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pogaf
I'm filling out the application for the 10-year visitor's visa so I can do a mileage run in October.
I'm getting married five days before my trip and my (future) husband is not going with me. Should I put my marital status as "Married" (as I will be when I leave) or "Single" (as I am when applying)? On the major family members, should I note him as my husband or fiance?

I don't want to send them inaccurate info! Thanks
Since you are still single now (i.e. when applying), you can truthfully state such. There is no point in introducing more variables to the equation, and TMK married people don't get any special treatment.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Since you are still single now (i.e. when applying), you can truthfully state such. There is no point in introducing more variables to the equation, and TMK married people don't get any special treatment.
That's what I was leaning towards. I appreciate the confirmation!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:03 pm

I mean, it's a 10-year visa. There's no way one could predict if one will get married (or divorced, etc.) in the 10-year period of validity.

If it were single-entry I could see some argument for hesitating.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
I mean, it's a 10-year visa. There's no way one could predict if one will get married (or divorced, etc.) in the 10-year period of validity.

If it were single-entry I could see some argument for hesitating.
And that was my thought too - I'm not changing my name, so they'll be nothing that sends up flags for them. Just another ticked box on the application. Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:38 pm

Do Pakistanis need a tourist visa for China?

Hi there! We are hosting a foreign exchange student from Pakistan and want to take her along on our family vacation to China. We are from the US and we have already obtained our 10-year tourist visas. Now, we are trying to find out what is needed for our student from Pakistan.

Do Pakistanis need a tourist visa for China? We are finding conflicting information online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.