Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your interpretation of what is on the consular website? I realize that the website talks about showing a green card, etc., but that could just be the most common situation for illustrative purpose. I know from a friend that even though the (former) Russian consulate had similar language on its website, he was able to get a visa here in the US by showing his US passport for proof of legal residency, but got the visa in his German passport.
1. The consular websites are almost completely useless

2. Some staff are flexible, and some aren't

3. If you don't want to waste time, consider preparing 2 applications, and trying with the non-US passport first

4. I wouldn't sweat too much about the "consular protection" thing
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your interpretation of what is on the consular website?
I have not personally tried at the Chinese consulate. I have direct evidence that the Italian consulates in the U.S. work this way (though I guess there are always exceptions) and I read two different reports on other online forums where people were not able to get the Chinese consulate to consider their non-U.S. passport at a U.S.-based consulate (I found one when I was looking around for an answer to my upthread X vs L visa question, and then another when I was trying to find that again in response to your question). So a combination of direct evidence from another country and hearsay evidence for China. Sorry if I contributed to the internet echochamber!

But I definitely was not relying on the Chinese consulate website, which I agree is not very useful.

I have seen people say this before on Flyertalk, but I have never seen any substantiation that it is true. There is certainly nothing in US law that says you are not entitled to consular protection if you entered a country on other than your US passport. Do you have information that there is something in Chinese law that if you have two passports and are arrested they will only allow the consular representative corresponding to the passport on which you entered the country to vist you in jail?
I only have secondary sources, I mainly just saw some other people warning about it and thought it was worth mentioning. One thing to keep in mind is that the U.S. recognizes dual citizenship and China doesn't really, or at least not to the same extent. How U.S. law treats this is not really going to say anything about how Chinese law treats it.

I agree with the suggestion to prepare to applications and try first with the passport you want, and if not just go with the U.S. one.

And I will re-iterate my suggestion that if you are doing an L visa and there is even a small chance you will return to China in the next decade, consider getting the 10-year visa in your U.S. passport.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Hello,

I am a F-1 student (non resident alien) in the U.S, at Seattle for the summer, and looking forward applying for a Chinese tourist visa.

Would it be possible for me to do the application in Vancouver? Or do I have to go to San Francisco?

Also, I have heard about www.chinavisadirect.com. Is this a scam?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by maxdml
Hello,

I am a F-1 student (non resident alien) in the U.S, at Seattle for the summer, and looking forward applying for a Chinese tourist visa.

Would it be possible for me to do the application in Vancouver? Or do I have to go to San Francisco?

Also, I have heard about www.chinavisadirect.com. Is this a scam?

Thanks!
That site has some pretty useful information, but they seem to focus on group visas, VOA, and free trade zone only visas. I suggest you Google visa agencies in NorCal, and make a few phone calls. Vancouver might be an option as well, if you can stay there for a few days; call first to run your details by the consulate.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:01 pm

If you're in Seattle, then www.freechinavisa.org in SF works well. Not really free, but reasonable and reliable and easier than making a trip to Vancouver and risking getting turned away.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:55 am

Thank you for both the answers. I was told by a visa service company that, being a F-1 student (a not a US citizen), I cannot hire them and have to go in person to a consulate. This is why I a trying to figure out the best choice between SF and Vancouver.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by maxdml
Thank you for both the answers. I was told by a visa service company that, being a F-1 student (a not a US citizen), I cannot hire them and have to go in person to a consulate. This is why I a trying to figure out the best choice between SF and Vancouver.
I suggest you call more visa agencies before committing to a trip to SF or Van.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: various
Agree with @moondog to consult different agencies and see if you get the same answer before travel planning. In addition to www.freechinavisa.org also try www.mychinavisa.com (SF Office). It's possible that fingerprinting may be required for non-citizen applicants in SF, which of course means your presence is required.

If you must make an in-person trip, you may have to go/want to go to SF instead of Vancouver. Why?
1) You have a visa for the USA not for Canada. You may not be allowed to apply in Vancouver. Contact the place mentioned in 2) to suss out whether Vancouver is even on the table.
2) Applicants for Chinese tourist visas in Canada now have to go to an outsourced agent--China Visa Application Service Centres. Their application form is much more lengthy and intrusive than the one used in the USA, so check out the website and look at the process before you automatically assume that the geographically closest city to you now is the best choice. https://bio.visaforchina.org/YVR2_EN/
3) You need to cross an international border for two round trips, one for application and one for pickup, unless you plan to stay in Canada during the processing. Even one border crossing cycle seems like a hassle especially for a non-citizen of either country.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:41 pm

One of those company (mychinavisa) answered the following to my email two weeks ago:

"Thanks for reaching out to us. For a Non-US citizen to apply in the USA, he or she must have a valid green card or resident type visa. Does either apply to you? Also, what is your nationality? Please advise."

They never answered back when I provided the response. I think they mean that I cannot hire their service to get the visa done, not that I cannot apply at all in the country.

I will call more agencies soon.

I also have a somewhat related question: I am planning to go with my friend, and I got an hotel reservation under my name, for two adults. Can my friend use this reservation for her visa application? Or does the booking need to clearly state her name too?

Thank you,
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:53 pm

And, by the way, I started filling the online appointment for for Vancouver, and they say:

" (1) The Visa Centre accepts visa applications from Canadian citizens in British Columbia and the Yukon Territory and the citizens of other countries staying in British Columbia and the Yukon Territory with appropriate legal status (ex.permanent resident card or work visa or study visa). However, we cannot accept the application if you are not physically in Canada when your application is being submitted.

If you are not currently in the country in which this centre is located, please apply from where you normally reside, or apply after you return to the country. Application acceptance is ONLY available to people lawfully residing in the country in which this Visa Centre is located. "

Which means that it is not an option for me, if I understand correctly.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by maxdmlI
also have a somewhat related question: I am planning to go with my friend, and I got an hotel reservation under my name, for two adults. Can my friend use this reservation for her visa application? Or does the booking need to clearly state her name too?
I can only relay my experience with the SF consulate. In my case and those whom I know have also applied, they only requested my airline reservation and weren't interested in my hotel reservation. From what I recall, the application process in SF is relatively painless. Just show up early to line up and get an early number for processing. You'll be out of there by 10 am - 11 am; then, just return in a few days to pick and up and pay. That's it. They even have a photo machine there for the passport photo, which has to be a certain size.
maxdml likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:06 pm

The hotel is the least of your concerns. I actually think you'll be okay in the end, but since it's increasingly apparent that you're going to need to go to SF yourself, I suggest you focus on those logistics, including a phone call to the consulate running your details by them.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:13 pm

That's a good suggestion =)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:46 pm

Hello, I am planning a brief trip to Beijing in October to attend a conference. (I also plan to stay a few days for tourism.) I am a dual US–Canadian citizen, living in Vancouver, Canada. I wanted to see if anyone had advice as to whether I would be better off using my Canadian or my American passport? I believe the conference host plans to help me with visa arrangements, and is asking for my passport information; I wasn't sure which passport I should give, or whether it matters.

If it's relevant, I expect that I'll be planning to travel to and from Canada.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:24 pm

When ten year visas first emerged, US passports had a slight edge over Canadian passports because visas survived passport expiration in the case of the former. I'm not sure whether or not this is still the case. If the Vancouver PRC consulate is convenient, you could also head there with both passports, and play it as it lies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.