Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by tentseller
Legally it is fine.

However it is a YMMV with different airlines. Just because it is a Chinese airline it doesn't mean their contracted check-in agents will know this is legally acceptable.
Should I expect them to have to call higher ups and not know?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thank you everyone for the info in this thread! Just got our passports back with 10 year/60 day/multiple entry L visas today.

I used the FreeChinaVisa.org visa service mentioned upthread due to the price, submitted to the San Francisco consulate. A little hesitation over the name, but since I didn't see any negative posts here, went ahead with them. Everything went smoothly!

- Purchased trip on Delta.com to PEK (cheapest available on US carrier; probably doesn't matter but figured that would be easiest for cancellation) and booked hotel with both mine and my wife's name on the reservation. After printing out receipts/itinerary, canceled trip and pending charges dropped off the card within a couple of days.
- For the family block just put each other and no other relatives.
- Requested multiple entries valid for 10 years in the other field.
- Filled in the itinerary box with just the hotel/address for the entire 7 day period of the trip.
- Sent two 48mm x 33mm photos each per the photo requirements on the Chinese embassy website but noticed the visa service says 2"x2". Turned out not to be an issue and the second photo was returned with the passport.

Mailed 11/28, received by visa service 11/30, passports returned 12/5, received back 12/7. ^
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
So I carry my old passport with the visa inside, and my new passport together and show that to Chinese customs officials? The airline will be familiar with this and know about this? It's Hainan FWIW...
We did that 4 weeks ago, Hainan airlines. No problems at all. One surprise--we also had to show the old passport when leaving China.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:25 pm

This is even covered on the Chinese embassy's website.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/faq/
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:27 am

I don't really think the sky is going to fall. Nonetheless, I'm a cautious sort who's seen China strike out from time to time, suddenly and without warning, often using visa policy as a weapon.

So out of that caution, I'd strongly suggest that any American with even the most tentative plans to visit China in the next few years line up and get a ten-year multiple-entry visa now. Or at least before January 20.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by 889
I don't really think the sky is going to fall. Nonetheless, I'm a cautious sort who's seen China strike out from time to time, suddenly and without warning, often using visa policy as a weapon.

So out of that caution, I'd strongly suggest that any American with even the most tentative plans to visit China in the next few years line up and get a ten-year multiple-entry visa now. Or at least before January 20.
I have one but in my old passport. This is okay right if I have both passports, right?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:18 am

Yes, so long as the name and nationality are the same.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I have one but in my old passport. This is okay right if I have both passports, right?
I flew that 6 weeks ago. No problems. One surprise, though--they wanted to see the old passport at exit control also.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I'm transiting PVG as a US citizen with a 10 year L visa, with two travel companions who will be TWOV. I've heard conflicting reports of how I should handle arrival at PVG -- do I process with them, or should I proceed as a visa holder? Also, what are the odds that we confuse the AA agents on our way out? I've got a TIMATIC printout for each of us
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kreative03
I'm transiting PVG as a US citizen with a 10 year L visa, with two travel companions who will be TWOV. I've heard conflicting reports of how I should handle arrival at PVG -- do I process with them, or should I proceed as a visa holder? Also, what are the odds that we confuse the AA agents on our way out? I've got a TIMATIC printout for each of us
There is no need to stress about this.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
My understanding is that there are actually two options that fall under the Hainan special deal category, so that may be why you are getting different stories. I don't keep up with the absolute latest on Hainan, but I believe the following is correct:
Option 1: Free Visa (or Visa Free, if you will):
--must be in a group of 5 people or more, available to holders of passports from 27 countries (including Netherlands)
--must be arranged with a Hainan agency in advance (at least the passport details of the arriving travelers must be provided >7 days before arriving)
--must arrive and depart Hainan on international flights, either Haikou or Sanya airports or combination thereof *
--stay maximum of 15 days (Germans, Russians, Koreans traveling 2+ people I think get 21 days)
--no charge

Option 2: Landing Visa:
--"group" can be less than 5 people, available to holders of passports from 27 countries as above
--must arrive Hainan (Haikou or Sanya) on international flight, but can depart from anywhere else in China
--stay maximum of 15 days (including Hainan and elsewhere in China)
--upon arrival, make application for "Landing Visa" and must provide photocopy of entry and exit air tickets, hotel bookings, passport photo
--processing will take 15-30 minutes, cost depends on passport country but my info is that it's pretty much what a standard visa would cost you.
--note that as with any visa application, there is always a chance that a Landing Visa will be denied if you look like an undesirable (or your country has seriously angered the Chinese).

* International flights into Hainan are limited. Normally there are dailies into Sanya and Haikou from Hong Kong, and also (may be seasonal) service from Taipei, Bangkok, and Singapore. If you fly to Hainan through another mainland airport, the deal's off and you need a regular Chinese visa to pass through Entry Immigration at the first mainland airport.

Where could I find the list with the 27 countries?
Is Belgium also part?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Kreative03
At Chinese Immigration, suggest that you use the regular entry queues and use your visa, while your friends go to TWOV queue (if it's open). At check-in, you show the AA agent your visa. Your friends each deal with them on TWOV, be prepared with their TIMATIC printouts, and fight their own battles should there be any. If the AA agent is not knowledgeable about TWOV, your friends should escalate to a supervisor. Odds depends on your particular departure point. If they encounter intransigent agents who won't believe TIMATIC, and there is an intermediate stop in a larger US city or Japan on the way to PVG, one option is to have them check them only that far, and have the connection point prior to PVG sort out their status.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by edoleb
Where could I find the list with the 27 countries?
Is Belgium also part?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think Belgium was part of the list. However, my post that you referenced was over 1 year ago, and things do change in China w/respect to visa policies, so you need to find more current information as to what's being offered now and whether you qualify.

Sorry I don't have any handy links but suggest that you look for Hainan travel agents that have updated websites in 2016, email them for info if necessary.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Mileage run on F visa

I have a question for the experts on the entry conditions on Chinese visas. I have a multiple entry F visa valid until May (I got it for two conferences last year). I am planning a complex mileage run / quick sightseeing trip through China. I would have separate tickets going in to China and coming out, so want to leave some time as a safety buffer (~48hrs), and also to do some quick sightseeing. The only problem is that the first ticket has a domestic segment in China, so I can't do TWOV (unless I do 24 hrs, but that's too tight).

My question is: are there official entry requirements when you use an F visa? Would they have a problem if you use it the way I propose above?

One extra complication: I would want to do the same thing twice (round trip tickets).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just enter using your visa, and check the "conference" box on the entry form. I highly doubt that the person who admits you will ask you about the specific conference, but I would find one on Google just to be safe.

Some might argue that the above is dishonest, and that checking the "tourism" box is also fine. While I agree, I still think the white lie approach is the best course of action (I.e. path of least resistance, and it's not like you need to be a conference speaker in order to enter on F). If you're feeling guilty, you could always attend a meaningless trade show during your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.