Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
None of us have intended to scare you into doing anything crazy (shenzhen plan qualifies as such).

-Stick with your hk itin
-You will almost certainly get a visa based on your hk tickets
-The "ticket to the PRC" strategy was only suggested as a means to remove all possible doubt in the (extremely) unlikely event you encounter a difficult visa processing officer
Ok thanks. I will just submit the hong kong tickets with all the hotel reservations. Will they want every single night to be accounted for in terms of hotels? I'm probably going to take an overnight train from Beijing to Xian.

Is it a mistake to fly to/from Shenzhen? I was considering it because the flights to Beijing seem much cheaper there and the flight back from Shanghai as well. Is it not worth the hassle and best just to use the hong kong airport when flying in and out?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:27 pm

There are more-or-less direct buses from HK to/from Shenzhen Airport, so it's not that difficult to reach, though of course it's a bit more of a hassle than using Chek Lap Kok. Different folks have differet tolerances for this, but I like saving money, so it doesn't bother me. Also, the interior of the new Shenzhen airport is pretty dramatic, so if you have any intererst in modern architecture, that alone makes the trip worthwhile.

But avoid flights leaving Shenzhen in the early morning or arriving late at night, since connections with HK can be cumbersome at those hours.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Red259

Is it a mistake to fly to/from Shenzhen? I was considering it because the flights to Beijing seem much cheaper there and the flight back from Shanghai as well. Is it not worth the hassle and best just to use the hong kong airport when flying in and out?
I find that the price difference between HK and Shenzhen is often not enough for me to go trough all the trouble of flying from Shenzhen. I am talking here of the Shanghai flights with Spring. Don't know of discount airlines for Beijing though.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I find that the price difference between HK and Shenzhen is often not enough for me to go trough all the trouble of flying from Shenzhen. I am talking here of the Shanghai flights with Spring. Don't know of discount airlines for Beijing though.
A poster pointed out that may be able to use my BA miles to get a reward from Guilin to Hong kong. For 4500 avios I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:33 am

A poster pointed out that may be able to use my BA miles to get a reward from Guilin to Hong kong. For 4500 avios I'd take that in a heartbeat.
I'll keep an eye on the other thread on how you do on this. Would be nice if I can use some of my 600,000 Avios points for domestic flights in China. I never thought about this option.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
I'll keep an eye on the other thread on how you do on this. Would be nice if I can use some of my 600,000 Avios points for domestic flights in China. I never thought about this option.
They are only usable on flights to/from HK.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:58 pm

They are only usable on flights to/from HK.
I see. no use to me then.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: various
ALERT: OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION!
This thread is for Chinese visa discussion. Not for the merits of HK vs Shenzhen flights, use of Avios, etc.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I am planning to have a friend drop off my visa application tomorrow at the NYC China Consulate. Is there anything special that they will need to do to drop it off for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow
I am planning to have a friend drop off my visa application tomorrow at the NYC China Consulate. Is there anything special that they will need to do to drop it off for me?

Thanks in advance!
I dunno the answer to that, but I will see your friend in line tomorrow.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow

Thanks in advance!
Photo copies of passport info page, previous PRC visas, and proof of residence. They have a copy machine there but having everything prepared in advance will save a few minutes. I also recommend using acrobat to fill out the application (better than hand printing). And, don't forget to include photos.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:02 pm

Photo copies of passport info page, previous PRC visas, and proof of residence. They have a copy machine there but having everything prepared in advance will save a few minutes. I also recommend using acrobat to fill out the application (better than hand printing). And, don't forget to include photos.
Wait photos plural? Thought we needed only one?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:05 pm

Wait photos plural? Thought we needed only one?
I think that the official requirement is one, but I've been asked for two once or twice in the past.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:09 pm

I think that the official requirement is one, but I've been asked for two once or twice in the past.
Yes all the instructions I have seen say one and I only have one. To get more I will have to go get additional photos taken, not something I was planning on at last minute.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:20 pm

Filed my application for a visa at NY consulate and it took 1 hour and 45 minutes. I used the Hong Kong airline tickets to show my flights and she questioned me specifically about how I was going from Hong Kong to China. I told her train and she just nodded her head and gave me the receipt. If there is a problem with your visa paperwork would they tell you right away or could I show up the day before my flight and have them deny me? Also, for the NY Consulate at least, how long does it take to pick up the visa? I know they were waiving people doing pickups inside, instead of having them wait in line with everyone else. They want me to come back on a very busy day for me to pick up the visa. According to the ticket the office closes at 2:30pm. If I get there at like 2pm and am waiting inside will they see everyone who is inside before the deadline or at 2:30 do they kick everyone out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.