Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jiejie
Flights: do as moondog says, buy a refundable round-trip flight to/from the mainland. Book from somebody like Expedia.com where you can book a refundable ticket, get an emailed confirmation which you can print out for the visa application. Then cancel the refundable ticket within 24 hours.

Hotel bookings: you need to account for your entire stay in China. Just use the endpoints of the refundable bogus ticket, and craft out an itinerary for the visa application that makes sense and do some nonprepaid cancellable bookings that support that. Print out booking confirms and submit, then do the cancellations.

Once you get the Chinese visa, there is no requirement that you follow what you put down on your application, and nobody will check. You can be as flexible as you like and as domestic intercity transport availability allows. Caveat: if your trip duration is only 2 weeks, you may find that flexibility is an illusion and that you will waste a lot of time in the field working on and dealing with the logistics.
For the flight can I show them round trip tickets to hong kong from us and back, or does it need to be an airline ticket showing me entering/exiting mainland china?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:28 pm

HK is fine.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
HK is fine.
Thanks, that is what I will use since I will have those before the other flight tickets and don't want to do mock bookings just for the visa.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
Thanks, that is what I will use since I will have those before the other flight tickets and don't want to do mock bookings just for the visa.
I think there may have been a misunderstanding. JPDM may have meant a RT as JieJie and moondog suggested from HK to anywhere in China will suffice.

To be safe, just do the mock booking. Plenty of people have done it. Book a flight to Beijing RT refundable or not, cancel after printing it out. Book a cancellable hotel for the duration. IME haven't required a day by day itinerary, they just want to know what cities you'll be in and where you'll be staying. If you want to be extra safe, throw in a rough daily itinerary.

Given you are a U.S. citizen and a visa is not required for HK, I don't think that showing a flight just to HK will suffice. You would have to show how you're entering (overland, for example) and still have hotel bookings or indicate where you're staying (with friends etc).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hk flights certainly do suffice, but given that booking a flight to the PRC itself requires all of 30 seconds, I see no reason not to go the extra mile. There is no moral transgression at stake here; people cancel flights all the time.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Hk flights certainly do suffice, but given that booking a flight to the PRC itself requires all of 30 seconds, I see no reason not to go the extra mile. There is no moral transgression at stake here; people cancel flights all the time.
So a mainland China visa may be granted with an itinerary that only shows flights to HK and hotels in HK? Even though a visa is not required for HK for US citizens?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by transparent
So a mainland China visa may be granted with an itinerary that only shows flights to HK and hotels in HK? Even though a visa is not required for HK for US citizens?
A ton of people fly to HK, visit HK then head to China even by just walking over the border. You still need to show your itinerary in China with hotel bookings there (depending on your country of application). but for flights, HK is fine. There is certainly no need to also show a flight to, say, Beijing.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
A ton of people fly to HK, visit HK then head to China even by just walking over the border. You still need to show your itinerary in China with hotel bookings there (depending on your country of application). but for flights, HK is fine. There is certainly no need to also show a flight to, say, Beijing.
Do I need a double entry visa if I go from hong kong to the mainland, then fly back to hong kong then reenter the mainland from Hong Kong?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:34 am

Do I need a double entry visa if I go from hong kong to the mainland, then fly back to hong kong then reenter the mainland from Hong Kong?
Well, that's 2 entries, right? Am I missing something?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by transparent
I think there may have been a misunderstanding. JPDM may have meant a RT as JieJie and moondog suggested from HK to anywhere in China will suffice.
To clarify: What I was envisioning was not dealing with your current award ticket (which has the return date tbd) at all. Nor Hong Kong, at all. I was advocating purchasing a refundable round trip ticket from USA to mainland and back, like SFO-PEK-SFO. Getting a printout of the confirmation then cancelling that ticket.

The reason is that some Chinese visa officers will not accept flights in or out of HKG as equivalent to mainland China, even if you tell them you will be crossing the border overland. Other visa officers will, or will accept either as the arrival or the departure point. The problem is, you cannot know om advance which sort of visa officer will be processing your application. As you see, this is a somewhat different opinion from others' above.

Since your trip is very soon into the future, and you may not yet have a confirmed date for the return award flight, you can't wait around any longer to apply for your visa. Therefore, I think the easiest thing is to just make that refundable return flight and cancel. To reiterate, once you have the visa, there is no problem in using different flights, different hotels, different itinerary. There is no backcheck of reality vs application.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This person also doesn't want to risk the visa being denied due to lack or "required" documentation, given that there might not be time to get the documents at that point and then reapply for the visa.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone applied for a visa using the provisions on this page?
http://en.safea.gov.cn/2013-10/23/content_17053383.htm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Shimon
Has anyone applied for a visa using the provisions on this page?
http://en.safea.gov.cn/2013-10/23/content_17053383.htm
This link essentially describes a prearranged visa-on-arrival, and I don't believe I've ever seen anybody on this forum describe obtaining a visa this way. Anecdotally, I have heard of occasional instances where a specific foreigner's urgent and unforeseen presence was deemed so critical that the prearrangements were done/sponsored by either a ministry or SOE (i.e serious clout). And the visa was processed by the central PSB (or Ministry of Foreign Affairs if a diplomatic passport) and issued in China. Normally said foreigner would be met at the plane or immigration point and special procedures executed.

But it's not an avenue of which most readers of this forum would be able to avail themselves.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
To clarify: What I was envisioning was not dealing with your current award ticket (which has the return date tbd) at all. Nor Hong Kong, at all. I was advocating purchasing a refundable round trip ticket from USA to mainland and back, like SFO-PEK-SFO. Getting a printout of the confirmation then cancelling that ticket.

The reason is that some Chinese visa officers will not accept flights in or out of HKG as equivalent to mainland China, even if you tell them you will be crossing the border overland. Other visa officers will, or will accept either as the arrival or the departure point. The problem is, you cannot know om advance which sort of visa officer will be processing your application. As you see, this is a somewhat different opinion from others' above.

Since your trip is very soon into the future, and you may not yet have a confirmed date for the return award flight, you can't wait around any longer to apply for your visa. Therefore, I think the easiest thing is to just make that refundable return flight and cancel. To reiterate, once you have the visa, there is no problem in using different flights, different hotels, different itinerary. There is no backcheck of reality vs application.
I think what I may do is fly from Shenzhen to Hong Kong and then return from Shanghai to Hong Kong via Shenzhen. If I provide a visa app where I say I am flying hong kong/beijing round trip will there be any issue if I make entry via the land border later on? I know they don't care about flights and if I follow the itinerary, but I'm wondering if they would expect me to use at least the same method of entry into the country. Alternatively can I just submit my tickets to/from Shenzhen along with my HKG tickets? I'm waiting on my return flight home to be ticketed and I anticipate having it by Monday when I file the visa application.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:36 pm

I think what I may do is fly from Shenzhen to Hong Kong and then return from Shanghai to Hong Kong via Shenzhen. If I provide a visa app where I say I am flying hong kong/beijing round trip will there be any issue if I make entry via the land border later on? I know they don't care about flights and if I follow the itinerary, but I'm wondering if they would expect me to use at least the same method of entry into the country. Alternatively can I just submit my tickets to/from Shenzhen along with my HKG tickets? I'm waiting on my return flight home to be ticketed and I anticipate having it by Monday when I file the visa application.
None of us have intended to scare you into doing anything crazy (shenzhen plan qualifies as such).

-Stick with your hk itin
-You will almost certainly get a visa based on your hk tickets
-The "ticket to the PRC" strategy was only suggested as a means to remove all possible doubt in the (extremely) unlikely event you encounter a difficult visa processing officer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.