Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Agree that is a very bad letter.
FT censored the word after "bad". I meant the opposite.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Okay some more questions since I have literally just been shafted by the Sri Lankan Visa office!!
Needed to get my Sri Lankan visa extended today and told them that 100% make sure that they do not stamp a blank page... Guess what.. they just put a massive stamp across a blank page in my passport. I am now left with just one fully blank page and as far as I am aware, 2 blank pages are required for a Chinese visa??
The only other nearly blank page I have is one with a commemorative Machu Picchu stamp on it. Will I still be able to get a visa with 1 blank page and also, will they be able to place a visa across this commemorative stamp?

Only other thing I can think being possible is to get an emergency passport but I am worried that they would be a bit apprehensive about giving a chinese visa to an emergency passport holder?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by moondog
FT censored the word after "bad". I meant the opposite.
While I was really happy with the letter (not just the content, but its presentation; it looked really nice), my guest showed it to a visa agent in DC, and they asked him to touch it up a bit.

Here is the text of the new letter:

To the Consulate of China, Visa Section:

We are writing in support of the current PRC Visa application of <NAME>, a man whose date of birth is <DOB>, has US citizenship, and whose US passport number is <PASSPORT NUMBER>.

We invite <APPLICANT> to come to China to investigate business opportunities with us. <APPLICANT> has established collaboration with our company to help us identify foreign investment and global expansion for our technology company. <APPLICANT> is a global finance executive who is the Managing Member, and Chief Investment Officer of <APPLICANT'S CURRENT COMPANY>, as well as a former Managing Director for <APPLICANT'S FORMER COMPANY>, where he spent many years focused on investing in China as well as globally. As such, we would be grateful if he were extended a 2-year business (F) visa so he can advise us.

<APPLICANT> is planning to arrive to Shenzhen, Guandong Province, on 3 September 2013 and expects to depart China on 17 September 2013. Throughout our collaboration, <APPLICANT> will need to enter China multiple times a year to advise our business and help us identify foreign opportunities.

<APPLICANT'S> company, <COMPANY NAME>, will bear the full cost of <APPLICANT'S> accommodations in China.

Feel free to contact us should you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

<CHINESE COMPANY NAME++ >
The agency all but guaranteed him that this letter would work in DC. The bad news is that they asked him to provide proof of residence within the DC consulate's domain. Since he doesn't have this, he is going to roll the dice in NY instead.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I realized today that my passport only has 9 months of validity left. I want a 12 month multiple entry.

Is this going to be a problem?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I realized today that my passport only has 9 months of validity left. I want a 12 month multiple entry.

Is this going to be a problem?
Yes it will be. The Chinese will not give you a visa that extends beyond the passport validity. They might give you 9 months, or bounce you back to 6 months or even 3 months. If you want a 12 month Chinese visa, get a replacement passport now.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
While I was really happy with the letter (not just the content, but its presentation; it looked really nice), my guest showed it to a visa agent in DC, and they asked him to touch it up a bit.

Here is the text of the new letter:

The agency all but guaranteed him that this letter would work in DC. The bad news is that they asked him to provide proof of residence within the DC consulate's domain. Since he doesn't have this, he is going to roll the dice in NY instead.
This is a better letter.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:57 am

I would love to hear experiences at the LA Chinese embassy for single entry visa. We have booked a tour(me, wife and 9 yr old girl) for Nov 20 - Dec 1 to China ..Our travel agent charges $30 extra to get the single entry visa...so we can spend $90 for all 3 of us without the hassle of going to LA consulate. However being a penny pincher I would love to save $90 and spend time and a few dollars doing it myself..I understand I have to go back after 4 days to pickup..I am not worried about my time as my office hours are flexible and I can make up hours..

1) Is parking cheap near LA consulate?
2) When applying I will have all the documents...would officer at the counter ask any crazy questions or for additional papers?
3) Do I pay the $140 fee at dropoff or during pickup of visa?
4) When is the ideal date I should go to get visa? I don't want to go too early as it may expire before Nov 20....when you applied how long was the visa valid for?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I would love to hear experiences at the LA Chinese embassy for single entry visa. We have booked a tour(me, wife and 9 yr old girl) for Nov 20 - Dec 1 to China ..Our travel agent charges $30 extra to get the single entry visa...so we can spend $90 for all 3 of us without the hassle of going to LA consulate. However being a penny pincher I would love to save $90 and spend time and a few dollars doing it myself..I understand I have to go back after 4 days to pickup..I am not worried about my time as my office hours are flexible and I can make up hours..

1) Is parking cheap near LA consulate?
2) When applying I will have all the documents...would officer at the counter ask any crazy questions or for additional papers?
3) Do I pay the $140 fee at dropoff or during pickup of visa?
4) When is the ideal date I should go to get visa? I don't want to go too early as it may expire before Nov 20....when you applied how long was the visa valid for?
Are you all US citizens? Then you are foolish to not ask for a 12 month multiple entry visa whether you think you need it or not. It's the same price, and they only ask for information on the first visit. And you can get it at any time and don't have to worry about expiration.

If you are not a US citizen, then you need to wait until you are at the 90-day period in advance of your arrival, as that is when a standard single-entry visa will go void if you don't enter...so that's roughly August 23-24 at the earliest--I'll let you count the days. Then you can enter anytime within 90 days of issue and stay the full duration of stay given (30 days standard, more if you ask for/justify).

If you are going on an organized tour, then you will need a confirmed itinerary on the letterhead of the tour company, with your name on it as it appears on your passport. I would suggest that you have them provide one letter for each of the 3 of you, but it's possible one letter with each of your names on it will suffice if all the passports are being bundled together. I would suggest you get individual visas and not a "group visa" for the family.

Caveat: if any of the three of you is ethnic Chinese (born in China or not), there is probably some extra paperwork the Consulate will want to see.

I'll let others with direct experience at LA Consulate deal with parking issues and payment timing.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Are you all US citizens? Then you are foolish to not ask for a 12 month multiple entry visa whether you think you need it or not. It's the same price, and they only ask for information on the first visit. And you can get it at any time and don't have to worry about expiration.

If you are not a US citizen, then you need to wait until you are at the 90-day period in advance of your arrival, as that is when a standard single-entry visa will go void if you don't enter...so that's roughly August 23-24 at the earliest--I'll let you count the days. Then you can enter anytime within 90 days of issue and stay the full duration of stay given (30 days standard, more if you ask for/justify).

If you are going on an organized tour, then you will need a confirmed itinerary on the letterhead of the tour company, with your name on it as it appears on your passport. I would suggest that you have them provide one letter for each of the 3 of you, but it's possible one letter with each of your names on it will suffice if all the passports are being bundled together. I would suggest you get individual visas and not a "group visa" for the family.

Caveat: if any of the three of you is ethnic Chinese (born in China or not), there is probably some extra paperwork the Consulate will want to see.

I'll let others with direct experience at LA Consulate deal with parking issues and payment timing.
jiejie

Thanks for info. Appreciate it. Yes we are all US citizens and hold US passports...Original from India but got US citizenship about 8 years back..Daughter was born here in US so she is a citizen.

We are going on a tour with chinaspree.com and they have provided all necessary documents to us for getting the visa. If multiple entry is same price then I will try to go that route after talking to China spree..They mentioned single entry is enough ...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Visa for US citizens is $140
Visa for Indian citizens is $60
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:12 pm

jiejie

Thanks for info. Appreciate it. Yes we are all US citizens and hold US passports...Original from India but got US citizenship about 8 years back..Daughter was born here in US so she is a citizen.

We are going on a tour with chinaspree.com and they have provided all necessary documents to us for getting the visa. If multiple entry is same price then I will try to go that route after talking to China spree. They mentioned single entry is enough ...
Well of course single entry is enough for a tour, but it's not China Spree's call to make--it's yours if you are getting your own visa (recommended). So there's nothing to discuss with them. Since US citizens are entitled by special visa treaty with China to a 12 month multiple entry visa at the same cost as a single entry, might as well get what you can. Look at the application form and check the box for 12 month multiple. If you don't try, you definitely won't get. You never know if you'll want to go again within a year. US citizens have to pay so much for the visa that you don't want to leave anything on the table, so to speak.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Visa for US citizens is $140
Visa for Indian citizens is $60
Right but we don't hold Indian citizenship anymore ..we have a special status of OCI(Overseas Citizen of India) but thats not a passport and useless for travel to other countries except India.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I got my passport back, and I guess I'm lucky: I got a double-entry visa! (I was previously issued a single-entry F visa.)

I'd like to ask though: what are your chances of getting your preferred visa if you filled out the application in Chinese? I did that and I presume it upped my chances somehow, but I wonder if that can be said for others who may have tried that.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I got my passport back, and I guess I'm lucky: I got a double-entry visa! (I was previously issued a single-entry F visa.)

I'd like to ask though: what are your chances of getting your preferred visa if you filled out the application in Chinese? I did that and I presume it upped my chances somehow, but I wonder if that can be said for others who may have tried that.
I don't think filling out the form in Chinese would impress them, but providing a Chinese name is always a nice touch.

IME, the invitation letter is your most important weapon. I've received some that aren't even on letterhead... these don't work so well when applying for 2-year visas.

So, are you going to make to Viet Nam now that you have 2 China entries?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:18 am

Right but we don't hold Indian citizenship anymore ..we have a special status of OCI(Overseas Citizen of India) but thats not a passport and useless for travel to other countries except India.
Yup, yup I get it. I'm an OCI myself.

However, it seems like your visa agent did not - otherwise, they would have quoted close to $200 (what most agents charge US nationals)

Getting the work done yourself is fairly painless if you follow directions carefully and have no concern about wasting paper. However, you should budget an entire morning - if you have other things to do with your time, then an agent may not be a bad idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.