Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:47 pm

Oh boy. Need some help again.

Background:
Got a three month visa at the end of 2015 via the NYC consulate office. They did not give me a 10 year because at the time I was working for a media/entertainment company. Initially I was rejected and had to come back with a letter from my employer saying I was going for solely tourism purposes.

Now:
I got laid off from that entertainment/media company a few weeks ago. I decided to travel during this "funemployment" period. I may leave as early as next week and am mulling over various countries in Asia. I really want to go to Chengdu for a few days for pandas and gastronomical endeavors. I'm willing to cough up the extra money for an expedited visa (versus the 72 hours visa), but am concerned about the hassle. On the visa app I am checking "Unemployed", but then I read on this site to mark my last employer down, which I assume will raise red flags.

Am I going to have to reach out to my previous employer for another letter? Grrrr. Thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:28 pm

Does anyone know what visas the China Office in Hong Kong is handing out at the moment?

I'd really prefer a multiple entry visa, but this will be my first application with my new nationality.
I know in my (new) home country's Chinese Consulate they are giving out multi-entry visas to first-time applicants, but I've heard here in HK they don't/ won't do that.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:18 am

You'll just have to head over there and ask. Americans generally get ten-year visas but Britons apparently don't get the two-year visas available in the UK. Plus, policies are always changing.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TravelDream
Does anyone know what visas the China Office in Hong Kong is handing out at the moment?<br /><br />I'd really prefer a multiple entry visa, but this will be my first application with my new nationality.<br />I know in my (new) home country's Chinese Consulate they are giving out multi-entry visas to first-time applicants, but I've heard here in HK they don't/ won't do that.<br /><br />Any ideas? Thanks
It all depends on :
Your nationality at birth
Your previous nationality
Did you have visa with this passport
Did you renounced
Your new/present nationality
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
It all depends on :
Your nationality at birth
Your previous nationality
Did you have visa with this passport
Did you renounced
Your new/present nationality
All of these plus your current condition of stay in HK. For example, if you only have 3 months remaining on an employment visa, you will only get a max 3 months visa to PRC
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:33 am

OK, well I've applied now and I will see what happens. I've got two years left on the visa. It's strange though that they limit you to the HK visa length.

I have both nationalities still. Old Chinese visa in my British passport (which has no pages left) and I want the new one in the Irish passport. The woman took photocopies of my British passport and the visa in the British passport so hopefully.

Though I'm wondering as I only put two trips down on the form. Maybe they'll only give me double entry like my first Chinese visa.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:15 am

They gave me the multi-entry in the end. Though only for one year which is all Hong Kong seems to give.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm a US citizen, I live in Boston, need a Chinese tourist visa, and I won't be near any of the Chinese consulates in the US any time soon. What do people recommend as the best agent to go through?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: QFF
My cousin is planning a trip to China in a few months and is currently working on a visa application.

The form is asking if he has been to China before, and he is confused.
Last year, he went to Taiwan for a few weeks (with connections through HKG) and isn't sure if that means he needs to put down 'Yes'.

I expect the correct answer is 'No', but want to confirm such before telling him. (The Taiwan trip is the only time he has been outside Australia)

(on that note, if I were to get a normal visa for China, I would put "yes" to that question given I've been to PVG and PEK under the 72 hour TWOV?)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:09 am

The visa form is only for Mainland China and (I think) it should say that at the top of the form.

The Mainland doesn't refer to Taiwan or the Hong Kong and Macau S.A.Rs, so he should definitely say no.

It's the same for the arrival date. It means the arrival date in the Mainland.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:26 am

No, he has never been to China. If he did he would have received a visa and would know.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Himeno
(on that note, if I were to get a normal visa for China, I would put "yes" to that question given I've been to PVG and PEK under the 72 hour TWOV?)
Isn't the question worded "have you ever been granted a visa to China"? If so, your answer would be no as you availed yourself of the TWOV.

(Nov 2015 was the last time I filled out a visa application so apologies if this has changed since then....)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
US citizen obtaining China L Visa in Vancouver

Should I expect any difficulty in getting a Chinese L Visa in Vancouver if I'm a US Citizen? Had some other business to take care of up there and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I reside in Seattle. (I was going to show my hotel and plane reservation; I don't have an invitation letter -- I'm just tagging along with my husband on a business trip to PEK.) TIA!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by icedancer
Should I expect any difficulty in getting a Chinese L Visa in Vancouver if I'm a US Citizen? Had some other business to take care of up there and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I reside in Seattle. (I was going to show my hotel and plane reservation; I don't have an invitation letter -- I'm just tagging along with my husband on a business trip to PEK.) TIA!
Not possible. You need to be a permanent resident of Canada to apply in Vancouver.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by icedancer
Yes, you'll be turned away and they'll tell you to apply in the USA. You're in the San Francisco Consular District and a reputable visa agent with low fees serving this District is www.freechinavisa.org which, despite the name, isn't quite free but much lower than other good visa agents. Just apply for a tourist L visa using your flights and hotel booking. Request the now-standard 10 year visa, multiple entry, good for 60 days each stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.