FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Guess what happens if you miss a connection in Moscow that only has a 3x weekly flight.. at least in PEK you can go explore the city.

Bad stuff happens, getting a diversion happens round the globe.

Guess what happens if your flight is a bit late to land at most German airports? You'll be diverted to some regional 24hr open airport.. if you're unlucky (non-Schengen) you're "locked up" over night there.. won't happen in PEK. Does happen in FRA, MUC...

If you're flying on a "thin route", and really hitting all the unlucky spots, then yes, sometimes you just take the short straw. Doesn't have to do much with PEK, though. Flying int-int or int-dom via PEK never is an issue. Dom-Int, while I'd advise to get a longer layover, also never failed for me.

Delays and diversions are part of worlds flying. Nothing that PEK has exclusively booked. Flying this week through PEK, and MUCH more afraid of something going bad on my further connection in HKG due to their frequent typhoons..
All of my flying is for international competitions / conferences where time is very tight - under all circumstances I cannot afford a day late.

Although HKG - PEK is considered Int it shares airspace with dom routes which is prone to massive delays, and the airspace of PEK is saturated to the extent that a few hours of thunderstorm causes knock-on delays of domestic flights for a few days!

Originally Posted by JPDM
Flights to PEK are seldom on time??? Flights out of Beijing are often late but if incoming flights are late isn't that due mostly to the departing city?
Yes, for the regional routes from Southern China (e.g. from HKG, SZX, CAN), evening flights to PEK are never on time because of PEK traffic control not allowing the plane to fly, where all other flights to outside China are flying normally. Moreover, because the flight to PEK comes from the flight from PEK, delays accumulate.

This does not happen on long-haul routes to Europe though.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:57 am

Yes, that's my point. Poster in arriving in PEK on an international flight.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes, that's my point. Poster in arriving in PEK on an international flight.
Right - that flight is likely to be on time so long as it departs wherever on time. They let the long haul inbounds land. Indeed, the 90m transit is likely to be more because the flight to Chengdu inevitably will be delayed.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
I have a 5h40m T2 INTL > T2 INTL connection coming up. Any advice/things to do in the terminal?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:52 am

Flying JFK-PEK-BOM all on Air China with 1hr 15min connection. Is this sufficient enough? I believe I will not have to clear immigration, what exactly WILL i have to go through? Will I get any sort of stamp / transit visa?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ILman
Flying JFK-PEK-BOM all on Air China with 1hr 15min connection. Is this sufficient enough? I believe I will not have to clear immigration, what exactly WILL i have to go through? Will I get any sort of stamp / transit visa?
You just have a security check. It is on the left of the immigration counters. Watch this video up to the one minute mark:
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
I have a 5h40m T2 INTL > T2 INTL connection coming up. Any advice/things to do in the terminal?
This just got bumped up to 5 hours and 45 minutes. Is there anything to do in T2 while in transit?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
I’m looking at a reward flight XIY-PEK-SIN in January. My preferred itinerary departs XIY at 1930 and gives me 2.5h to transfer at PEK. Both flights are with Air China and we’ll have checked luggage.

Is this a realistic time to transit DOM>>INTL? Also, what is the exit procedure?

The other option would be flying China Eastern XIY-HKG, departing at 1000, then having the reward flight start there, with a 4-5 hr layover at HKG. This would mean separate tickets with airlines not in the same alliance, which could mean trouble if there’s delays. Plus, I’d much prefer the extra 9 hours in XIY.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by YEGcg
I’m looking at a reward flight XIY-PEK-SIN in January. My preferred itinerary departs XIY at 1930 and gives me 2.5h to transfer at PEK. Both flights are with Air China and we’ll have checked luggage.

Is this a realistic time to transit DOM>>INTL? Also, what is the exit procedure?

The other option would be flying China Eastern XIY-HKG, departing at 1000, then having the reward flight start there, with a 4-5 hr layover at HKG. This would mean separate tickets with airlines not in the same alliance, which could mean trouble if there’s delays. Plus, I’d much prefer the extra 9 hours in XIY.

Thanks in advance!
I looked up the flight history for both options and the XIY-PEK flight has an “average” delay of 10-20 mins; half of the time the delay is ~45 mins and the other half of the time the flight is early by ~30 mins. Sigh. Is 90-105 mins enough time to transfer at 22:00 mid-week?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:24 pm

Easy. You can do this connection.
For such connections there is a "shortcut" in PEK T3. Luggage will be checked through. I would say your chance of making this connection are well above 95%. I would do it myself
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:15 pm

Easy. You can do this connection.
For such connections there is a "shortcut" in PEK T3. Luggage will be checked through. I would say your chance of making this connection are well above 95%. I would do it myself
I am aware of the shortcut for international to international transits. Where is that domestic to international shortcut? How does it work?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:00 am

Reward flight was a “no-go” due to an unpublished routing restriction. I chose not to escalate past the supervisor. Thank you for your help!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 am

I am aware of the shortcut for international to international transits. Where is that domestic to international shortcut? How does it work?
If there isn’t one, I’m sure FT’ers would still like to know some DOM>>INTL transit times. If there’s a thread moderator, maybe they could post a wiki/sticky?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:23 pm

​​​​​​
When arriving domestic, just before you reach the baggage claim area there is a way inside the terminal clearly marked as "international transfer". It has a few requirements listed (luggage checked through or no luggage, already received BP (or can get it there)

I never had such dom-int connection in PEK, but I heard from first hand experience that it works well when on CA-CA connection.

Just as with the shortcut for baggage recheckin on INT-DOM it doesnt save you a lot of time, but makes life easier. Basically if they check your luggage through at point of departure, you are good for this in PEK.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:54 pm

​​​​​​
When arriving domestic, just before you reach the baggage claim area there is a way inside the terminal clearly marked as "international transfer". It has a few requirements listed (luggage checked through or no luggage, already received BP (or can get it there)

I never had such dom-int connection in PEK, but I heard from first hand experience that it works well when on CA-CA connection.

Just as with the shortcut for baggage recheckin on INT-DOM it doesnt save you a lot of time, but makes life easier. Basically if they check your luggage through at point of departure, you are good for this in PEK.
Thanks for the feedback. I will never try it as I never do a domestic flight to connect to an international one on the same day. Too risky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.