FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/600398-help.html)

Snow White Sep 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Help

Hello,everyone,I am new here.well,next month I will have my vocationand would like to visit China.But I have never been there.To me,it is mysterious
and fresh.Any how I kown nothing about traveling,accomodatione there.Please give me some tips.Any suggestions will be appriciated!Thanks!

Babypig Sep 10, 2006 9:08 pm

Tips of accomodation in China

Hello,I think the most impotant thing for most travelers is fine hotel.I have been China many times ,I would like to share my experience with you. Accommodation in China is generally convenient. It is not difficult to find a hotel to stay while travelling in China.
Hotels range in terms of variety from star-rated hotels, inexpensive hostels, local guesthouses to roadside inns. Besides standard comfortable star-rated hotels, hostels or inns in typical Chinese or local features are not in shortage, either.
Apart from the domestically-run hotels, chain hotels of international brand, especially in highly developed or tourist cities, are a lot. You may find Sheraton, Shangri-la, Hilton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Four Season and so on.
In some small cities or remote areas, there may not be luxurious hotels, but there are normally many safe hotels that offer clean and comfortable rooms. The services at these hotels is good, but not as same standard as found in a four or five star hotel.
Reservations can be conveniently made around the clock at all Chinese hotels open to foreigners by telephone from your home or through your travel agent.
What’more .Price is not a good guide to quality. Eastern China, for instance, is far more expensive than western China. Large cities are more expensive than small cities. Tourist cities are more expensive than non-tourist cities. Despite the above, holidays are more expensive than normal days.Hope my tips are useful to you. :p

outoftown Sep 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi Snow White,

Welcome to Flyertalk. Please note that you would probably get more help by posting your questions in the Flyertalk travel forum about China. You can get there by clicking on the link http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=613

I'm sure the Flyertalk experts on China would be willing to help you get a start on your travel plans to China. I myself am planning to go there sometime next year. If you can get such a fantastic trip totally planned for your vacation next month, you would be extremely fortunate. I would plan many months in advance. If you are going next month, first step is get your passport and visa. There are many hotels and flights to choose from later once you have decided which cities to visit.

Good luck,

Outoftown

gleff Sep 11, 2006 4:28 am

I'll move this to the China forum. And welcome to Flyertalk, Snow White.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
Senior Moderator

Vulcan Sep 11, 2006 10:29 am

It would be helpful if you could post your approximate budget for things like hotels and sightseeing, as well as things you would like to see, and how much time you are able to spend in China, remembering that you lose a day each way in travel.

moondog Sep 11, 2006 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Snow White
Any suggestions will be appriciated!

1. buy a guide book
2. read it (not necessarily cover to cover; just try to develop a decent understanding of your options)
3. try to figure out where you want to go
4. buy a plane ticket (into Beijing, out of Shanghai works for most people in your boat, but you might find that your interests are different)
5. if have specific questions at any point, feel free to post them here

however, regarding #5, it is expected that you do some legwork on your own before seeking advice on ft.

AandT Sep 11, 2006 11:10 am

First of all welcome to FT!!!

China is a fascinating place with so much to see and do. I would suggest that you take some time to browse through some of the previous threads on this site as they have some real good quality info on hotels, flights, places to see, etc. Plan some things that you want to do but leave some room for flexibility and spur of the moment things. And just relax and enjoy yourself!!

dtsm Sep 11, 2006 11:38 am

Newbie advice

Originally Posted by moondog
1. buy a guide book
2. read it (not necessarily cover to cover; just try to develop a decent understanding of your options)
3. try to figure out where you want to go
4. buy a plane ticket (into Beijing, out of Shanghai works for most people in your boat, but you might find that your interests are different)
5. if have specific questions at any point, feel free to post them here

however, regarding #5, it is expected that you do some legwork on your own before seeking advice on ft.

I second Moondog's advice....china is a big place and impossible to see all. It would help us to help YOU if you do some initial research and study, and then tell us where you'd like to visit (eg Beijing, Shanghai, Yangtze River ride???), how much time you have to visit, approximate budget requirements (so that we don't give you the wrong hotel recommendations), etc.

As a starter, if you haven't already, I would recommend getting started on your Hep A and B vaccinations. Not just for China but if you are traveling internationally, it's always good to be up-to-date on these two diseases. You can get more info re vaccines, etc. by reading cdc.org and/or search through my previous posts.

good luck and hope to hear back from you :)

sylvia hennesy Sep 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Hope Snow White can find this!

sylvia hennesy Sep 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Hope Snow White can find this!

Duh, I deleted some by accident; hope she can find this useful, and figure out how to get more specific with questions as time goes on!