Programs: UA AA CO
The social changes , especially among the youth, in China remind me of
the 60s here in US. I'm waiting to see a billboard in China " Beautify China
Get a Haircut".
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:30 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Tightwads Beware: Waiter groups push back against poor tippers

Some more on tipping customs in the US.

Waiter groups try to get word out on the etiquette of proper tipping.

Fairtip.org founder Yakup Ulutas, a former waiter and now restaurant manager in Atlanta, wants eateries to implement an automatic 20 percent service fee to replace the current practice of tipping.

Tightwads Beware

The Euro model I guess.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
In Pyongyang, tipping of tour guides is expected. Giving small gifts to hotel staff and other folks you encounter is also acceptable and encouraged. Korean men smoke like chimneys and like American cigarettes, since they're not readily available in DPRK.

Originally Posted by somuchtosee
How about in Korea? Is tipping expected, if so how much?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:53 am
In memoriam

I suspect that tipping in North Korea is really giving a gift the the government. What are the chances the guides get to keep their "tips"?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:15 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Kim Jong-Il himself took a "tip" of more than a million dollars for allowing Hyundai Asan to build a resort in the DPRK. And the poor South Korean manager responsible was fired for this minor mishap when it became public.

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I suspect that tipping in North Korea is really giving a gift the the government. What are the chances the guides get to keep their "tips"?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:57 pm
In memoriam

Is there any difference between Kim Il Jung and the North Korean government?

Should I decide to go to North Korea, I will be sure to bring a million bucks with me to tip him!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hey guys. I played golf today with the chairman of the (very, very big) company that owns the course. We do this once a month or so, but I hadn't paid attention to the tipping deal until after reading these threads.

My observations:

-the caddy asked me about tips three times
-when all was said and done, the big man (from the company that owns the course) tossed her (and all of the other caddies) y100

In other words, a Chinese man handed out lots of tips. American influence was nill (aside from the fact that I am American and was there). Had I not been there, I'm pretty sure the situation would have been the same.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:24 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
In other words, a Chinese man handed out lots of tips. American influence was nill (aside from the fact that I am American and was there). Had I not been there, I'm pretty sure the situation would have been the same.

"There is no tipping in China except by gullible foreigners. "
"It cannot be said too often. Tipping is unnecessary and inappropriate in China."
"Any Chinese reading this is likely to laugh out loud."

Hmm..makes you wonder.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Globalization.

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS from Saudi Arabia and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (Made In Malaysia), Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.AMERICA......
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Hmm..makes you wonder.
Only if you have something of an obsession about this, or are a troll.

Moondog doesn't apparently set out to make any arguments, but merely provides some observations and a guess. A millionaire playing an imported foreign sport indulged in regularly by probably less than one per cent of China's population has nothing whatsoever to do with the common experience of visitors to China. There's no argument here for tipping bell boys, cab drivers, or waitresses. This simply isn't done in China, as I think may been mentioned here once or twice by a variety of people, with exhaustive arguments and examples.

But for someone so desperate to find justification for his own timidity and foolishness that he looks for arguments in Moondog's post, there appear to be two straws at which to clutch.

The first has been dealt with before, and goes:

I was asked for a tip in China.
Therefore it is right to tip in China.
Therefore I should encourage others to tip in China.

Let's try this in a slightly different version:

I had my pocket picked in China.
Therefore it is right to have my pocket picked in China.
Therefore I should encourage others to be careless with their wallets in China.

Simple-minded, isn't it?

The second argument:

Lots of people say there is no tipping in China
But a rich man forming part of the infinitesimal number of Chinese regularly playing an extremely expensive entirely foreign and imported sport (and at a club he owns/runs, no less) was seen to tip
Therefore everybody else is wrong and there is tipping in China and you should certainly tip all over the place (including hotel bell boys even when the management of the hotel says you shouldn't).

Let's try this one:

Lots of people say that in America people drive on the right.
But I saw a drunk drive on the left, and there was a time when I had to go on the left due to roadworks, and my friend Nick who was visiting from the UK turned out of his hotel one morning and forgot where he was and started driving on the left.
Therefore everybody else is wrong and you can drive on the left or all over the place in America.

If that argument works for you, then I suggest you get going as soon as you arrive in China. Tip the immigration officers and the customs officials (happens in some countries so must be right here, too, right?) and carry on from there. Have a nice trip.

Also if that argument works for you, then start driving on the left in the U.S. Your next posting urging tipping in China may be unavoidably delayed, however; perhaps even delayed permanently.

Peter N-H

Last edited by Peter N-H; Sep 14, 2006 at 4:44 pm Reason: Minor corrections
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:19 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Peter N-H
The same could be said for your repeatedly responding to the OP, no?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Don't want to beat a dead horse on this forum about tipping in China
The poor dead horse is really starting to stink.... Maybe we should stop beating it and move on...
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I think dumb, stupid, dodgey, simple-minded, and troll.
violate: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q87
so I will contact moderator and not post on this forum
until I receive a response from the moderator
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Peter N-H
Peter N-H
Don't you feel you should stop your stupid troll on this thread? If you like to argue, better set up another thread If tipping to bell boys/waiters is appropriate in China .
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA, DL
ENOUGH!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.