Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hotel suggestions for late-evening arrival in PVG

Old Aug 6, 06, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My wife and I are going to China at the end of this month to do family history research (our first trip to the Mainland, other than a business trip to Shenzhen/Guangzhou nine years ago). Our flight gets in to PVG at about 9:30PM. We are debating whether to make the trip into town that night, or just find a place to sleep out by the airport. We are very much into "local color", so a fancy Western hotel is not required. We also both speak fluent Mandarin, so there should be no language barrier.

We only need a place to sleep. The next morning, we are catching a bus to Zhejiang.

Anyone have experience with the Pudong Airport area accomodations? Are we better off going into town that night?
Old Aug 6, 06, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Anyone have experience with the Pudong Airport area accomodations? Are we better off going into town that night?
The Ramada is the only hotel I know of out there and it is kind of expensive.

Unless you are planning on catching a bus from PVG, there is really no point in staying out there. You might want to try my Pan Harvest place. It is on the ring road (therefore, easily accessbile from the airport) and close to Xujiahui where several of the bus stations are.

Alternatively, you could take the #2 bus to Jing'an Temple and stay at one of the Chinese hotels near the Hilton (Yan'an Hotel, Shanghai Hotel, Jing'an Hotel).

BTW, thanks for your offer to show me around Portland in the other thread. I'm actually going back to China tomorrow, but I try to stop by here every 6-8 weeks when my schedule permits.
Old Aug 6, 06, 1:57 pm

There are several options.

There's accommodation in the airport itself, at the Huoji Lou Jishi Binguan, which I haven't inspected, but which is Y60 per hour up to five hours, and Y360 overnight. You can reach it directly on arrival from the restricted areas when using domestic flights, and from a counter near gate 7 on the first floor if you are arriving or departing on an international flight. Call +86 21 6834 6480 for further information.

The Ramada is seriously overpriced, but close to the airport, although still offering a shuttle.

A more reasonable if simple choice is the Jinjiang Zhi Xing Lvguan, one of a chain of business-traveller oriented hotels with low fixed prices, and basic, modern, clean rooms. Typically there's a shower cubicle rather than a bath, wooden floors, individual air-conditioning, and broadband Internet access for a small extra fee. The Shanghai Airport property is a few minutes' by taxi beyond the Ramada, and also has a simple restaurant, cold drinks and snacks on sale, etc. There are details of the property here:

http://www.jj-inn.com/chains_sh1.aspx?UnitId=003

(with an English button for those who need it). You must get to the property by taxi yourself, but there's a free shuttle bus to the airport for departures, and a long line of taxis outside the property waiting to take you into town. Or take the shuttle back to the airport and jump on the maglev if you wish.

Contrary to the advice for most hotel bookings in China, this is one you need to book ahead, because the hotel is popular, and because the prices are anyway non-negotiable.

If there are buses directly from the airport to where you want to go, then I'd recommend this last option. If you are going to have to go into Shanghai anyway, then there may be an argument for taking advantage of the light traffic to get into town to simple accommodation near whatever bus station you'll be using.

Peter N-H
Old Aug 6, 06, 10:50 pm

Smile Hotels around Lujiazui area

The hotels better near the bus stop you will get to for Zhejiang travelling. There is a choice esay and convenient. You can pay RMB14 for 6# bus shuttle to get off Zhangyang Road station, it takes about 30-40 minutes, the taxi charge should be RMB130 about, there are several hotels choosing: Baoan Hotel, Purple Mountain Hotel, Shanghai Changhang-Merrylin http://english.ctrip.com/supermarket...archResult.asp, plus Motel 168 is available by RMB10 taxi way. This area is a trafiic center, you can easily get to any places both in Puxi and Pudong by bus or taxi.
Old Aug 7, 06, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm posting this evening to speak out against the Lujiazui idea. All too often, people mistakenly conclude that because LZJ is on the same side of the river as the airport, it is somewhere more convenient than points in Puxi. I used to live there (in Yanlord Gardens for those of you that know the area) and traveled to Zhejiang frequently on business. Simply put, I can not think of less convenient place to hail a long distance bus.

Furthermore, it is really only 5 minutes closer than Jing'an Temple, Xujiahui, Hongqiao Airport, etc. This is due to the nature of Shanghai's highway network. LJZ is isolated and prone to traffic problems. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed living there, but I don't think staying there would do much for the OP.
Old Aug 7, 06, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm posting this evening to speak out against the Lujiazui idea. All too often, people mistakenly conclude that because LZJ is on the same side of the river as the airport, it is somewhere more convenient than points in Puxi. I used to live there (in Yanlord Gardens for those of you that know the area) and traveled to Zhejiang frequently on business. Simply put, I can not think of less convenient place to hail a long distance bus.

Furthermore, it is really only 5 minutes closer than Jing'an Temple, Xujiahui, Hongqiao Airport, etc. This is due to the nature of Shanghai's highway network. LJZ is isolated and prone to traffic problems. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed living there, but I don't think staying there would do much for the OP.
Let's calculate the route, Lujiazui is the nearst place comparing other places in Puxi; at 9:30pm, it's possible to miss the sub, then have to take bus shuttle or taxi, Lujiazui is the nearest place comparing other places in Puxi. It takes 15-20 minutes by bus or taxi to Shanghai Railway Station, RMB2 by bus and RMB20 about by bus. There are Yan'an East Road tunnel, Fuxing East Road tunel and several bridges connected with Puxi and Pudong within or near LLZ area, the traffic jam would only apppear at peak time, impossible at late evening. It's also the nearest place back to the Pudong airport.
Old Aug 7, 06, 4:07 am

Smile

Originally Posted by moondog

Let's calculate the route, at 9:30pm, it's possible to miss the sub, then have to take bus shuttle or taxi, Lujiazui is the nearest place away from PVG comparing other places in Puxi. It takes 10-20 minutes by bus or taxi to Shanghai Railway Station, RMB2 by bus and RMB20 about by bus. There are Yan'an East Road tunnel, Fuxing East Road tunel and several bridges connected with Puxi and Pudong within or near LLZ area, the traffic jam would only apppear at peak time, impossible at late evening. It's also the nearest place back to the Pudong airport.
Old Aug 7, 06, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shmj
Let's calculate the route, at 9:30pm, it's possible to miss the sub, then have to take bus shuttle or taxi, Lujiazui is the nearest place away from PVG comparing other places in Puxi. It takes 10-20 minutes by bus or taxi to Shanghai Railway Station, RMB2 by bus and RMB20 about by bus. There are Yan'an East Road tunnel, Fuxing East Road tunel and several bridges connected with Puxi and Pudong within or near LLZ area, the traffic jam would only apppear at peak time, impossible at late evening. It's also the nearest place back to the Pudong airport.
-the OP wants to go to somewhere in Zhejiang the following morning, which suggests that being near a bus station (in terms of travel time, at least), would be useful
-I only know of one bus station on the Pudong side; its schedules are limited and isn't all that close to LJZ
-IME Xujiahui and the train station have the highest concentrations of useful bus stations
-Both of these are closer to Jiaxing/Hangzhou than LZJ; moreover, if leaving Xujiahui traffic is minimal
-Only the tunnel is in the LZJ area; the next closest crossing is the Nanpu Bridge which is ~2 km to the south; both of these routes are completely murder in the morning; in fact, the tunnel has bizzare restrictions concerning taxis during rush hour; in any case; I'd count on at least 30 minutes to get to the train station and 40 to get to Xujiahui in the morning
-As noted in my other post, from PVG, LZJ is only ~5 minutes or ~30 RMB closer than most points in Puxi that could be considered convenient

btw, i don't mean to critcize the idea of staying east; just ljz
Old Aug 7, 06, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Based on your arrival time and your AA affiliation, I am going to guess that you are arriving on the JAL flight NRT (or possibly KIX).

I have arrived at PVG on those flights many times and, if you hussle, the wait at immigration should be less than 10 minutes. At that time of night, the traffic has thinned and I can be checking into the Westin within an hour of stepping off the plane.

If you are catching a bus, why not stay near the bus station (if it's not too dodgy)?
Old Aug 7, 06, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Since we will be catching the bus in the XuJiaHui area in the AM, I think we will just head there in the evening we arrive to avoid fighting rush hour traffic from the Airport in the morning.

Originally Posted by Peter N-H
There's accommodation in the airport itself, at the Huoji Lou Jishi Binguan, which I haven't inspected, but which is Y60 per hour up to five hours, and Y360 overnight. You can reach it directly on arrival from the restricted areas when using domestic flights, and from a counter near gate 7 on the first floor if you are arriving or departing on an international flight.
Thank you, Peter. It is good to know about the airport hotel. We may stay there or at the Jinjiang Zhi Xing as you suggested on the night before we depart 上海 , since we have an AM departure flight.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Based on your arrival time and your AA affiliation, I am going to guess that you are arriving on the JAL flight NRT
Very astute observation, as usual. You are correct. PDX-SJC-NRT-PVG was about $400 cheaper than PDX-ORD-PVG on AA. And our eVIPs cleared at booking for the SJC-NRT hop. I don't mind the short-hop coach flights on AS and JL for the connecting flights. I just hate crossing the ocean in Coach.
Old Oct 4, 06, 10:06 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Let's rephrase the question: I am flying on a 10 am:ish longhaul from PVG on a regular basis. To avoid a mad morning rush to the airport ( most of the time I'm heading there from outside Shanghai ) I'd be glad if anyone knew quiet and comfy hotels within a 20 minute drive? It would be an additional plus if there are non-hotel dining options within walking distance.
Old Oct 4, 06, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What about staying near Longyang Station, and taking the MagLev in the AM?

Originally Posted by mosburger
Let's rephrase the question: I am flying on a 10 am:ish longhaul from PVG on a regular basis. To avoid a mad morning rush to the airport ( most of the time I'm heading there from outside Shanghai ) I'd be glad if anyone knew quiet and comfy hotels within a 20 minute drive? It would be an additional plus if there are non-hotel dining options within walking distance.
When we were there last month, we were departing PVG on a 9:30AM flight. We thought about looking for a hotel for our last night out by Longyang station so we could just hop on the MagLev to the airport. In the end, we decided to stay in central Shanghai and just cabbed it to LongYang in the morning and caught the train. So we never really looked for a hotel out there.
Old Oct 5, 06, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skyman65
When we were there last month, we were departing PVG on a 9:30AM flight. We thought about looking for a hotel for our last night out by Longyang station so we could just hop on the MagLev to the airport. In the end, we decided to stay in central Shanghai and just cabbed it to LongYang in the morning and caught the train. So we never really looked for a hotel out there.

There really isn't much in the immediate vacinity of the station. (I know this because whenever I take the Maglev, I try to take lots of pictures and my pics of the station and surrounding area are not very interesting.)
Old Oct 10, 06, 7:40 am

Does the Maglev ever experience delays and/or disturbances? I'm not sure if I want to be at the wrong end of the line if it does...
Old Nov 19, 06, 2:08 am

I think I found something: A cheapish hotel with acceptable hygiene and rooms 15 minutes from the airport in a neighbourhood with good restaurant choices. The daughter of the family owners speaks fluent english and transfers from/to PVG are included in the room price.

Please feel free to PM me for more info.

Search this Thread