Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

best/worst domestic Chinese airlines?

Old Jul 21, 06, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I KNOW this issue has come up before, but I'm having difficulty using the search engine to find responses, so please forgive me:

For a domestic Chinese flight, are their any airlines I should prefer, and any I should avoid? I'd consider all factors: on-time performance, in-flight service, safety, foreigner-friendliness, etc.

At the moment, I'm looking at a trip on a Hainan Airlines 767. I assume that should be OK? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 06, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
At the moment, I'm looking at a trip on a Hainan Airlines 767. I assume that should be OK? Thanks.
amazingly, you have managed to pinpoint my single least favorite plane in china, if not the world (well, save that thought; the indian airlines 737 i was on several years ago with the engine fire was surely worse, but i digress).

my current favorite between beijing and shanghai is air china because they have the most flights and seem to be relatively immune to the bus gate syndrome in beijing.

shanghai airlines used to be my favorite because there ground ops are better than average, but they handed me a few long delays last month, hence, they are no longer at the top of my list.

china eastern is my 3rd place pick and hainan airlines is a distant 4th.

but, if you ever get the search to work, you will learn that my general feeling is that it really doesn't matter a whole lot who you book because there's a good chance you'll end up on a different airline any way.
Old Jul 21, 06, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, moondog. That's what I need to know. I'm assuming then, for $15/person ow, it would be smarter to fly AirChina?
Old Jul 21, 06, 7:54 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by moondog
(well, save that thought; the indian airlines 737 i was on several years ago with the engine fire was surely worse, but i digress).
Was this sometime during the late 90s?
Old Jul 21, 06, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpx
Was this sometime during the late 90s?
yes, 1998. it was a flight from del to bom that stopped at a number of small cities en route. upon landing at the first city (maybe jaipur), someone 10 rows back yelled, "fire!" and pandamonium ensued. about half of the passengers called it quits at that point, but i stayed on because i didn't fancy a 12+ hour bus ride to arangabad.
Old Jul 21, 06, 8:13 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
yes, 1998. it was a flight from del to bom that stopped at a number of small cities en route. upon landing at the first city (maybe jaipur), someone 10 rows back yelled, "fire!" and pandamonium ensued. about half of the passengers called it quits at that point, but i stayed on because i didn't fancy a 12+ hour bus ride to arangabad.

I think a friend of mine was on it too.. and he stuck around too..

sorry we are going OT here..
Old Jul 21, 06, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
amazingly, you have managed to pinpoint my single least favorite plane in china, if not the world (well, save that thought; the indian airlines 737 i was on several years ago with the engine fire was surely worse, but i digress).

my current favorite between beijing and shanghai is air china because they have the most flights and seem to be relatively immune to the bus gate syndrome in beijing.

shanghai airlines used to be my favorite because there ground ops are better than average, but they handed me a few long delays last month, hence, they are no longer at the top of my list.

china eastern is my 3rd place pick and hainan airlines is a distant 4th.

but, if you ever get the search to work, you will learn that my general feeling is that it really doesn't matter a whole lot who you book because there's a good chance you'll end up on a different airline any way.

Should I be seriously worried about where you would place China Southern then? PEK - DLC...or should I just hope (assume?) that I will be on a different carrier?
Old Jul 21, 06, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyin4MAG
Should I be seriously worried about where you would place China Southern then? PEK - DLC...or should I just hope (assume?) that I will be on a different carrier?
I have no objections to CZ. I usually don't comment on them because they don't do PEK-SHA, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Perhaps the best thing about CZ ex-PEK is that they use their own terminal, which is relatively calm, organized, and devoid of bus gates. The only downside to that is that if your flight is canceled, you will need to walk for a solid ten minutes in order to get reaccomodated on another carrier, but that is a risk worth taking IMO.
Old Jul 22, 06, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
I have no objections to CZ. I usually don't comment on them because they don't do PEK-SHA, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Perhaps the best thing about CZ ex-PEK is that they use their own terminal, which is relatively calm, organized, and devoid of bus gates. The only downside to that is that if your flight is canceled, you will need to walk for a solid ten minutes in order to get reaccomodated on another carrier, but that is a risk worth taking IMO.

Fabulous. Thanks for the information, truly lowers my blood pressure.

Search this Thread