Search

China's Low-Cost Spring Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:10 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
China's Low-Cost Spring Airlines

Spring Airlines is amazing. They started its first flight from Shanghai to Yantai on July 18, 2005, exactly one year ago. Within one year, they successfully broke even in Feb this year, and turned to be very profitable now. It is not easy for a new business, especially in the highly competitive airline industry.

It is one of the very few low-cost airlines in China.

It offers surprising price like 99 RMB, 199 RMB, to 399 RMB. It is not always that cheap. For example, I just queried price from Shanghai to Qingdao. It is 450 RMB - their lowest price was 199 RMB.

Spring is a small airline. They only operate 3 Airbus 320 aircraft, serving 12 flights from Shanghai to major travel cities. I will try it the next time I travel and write about it.

Source Credit: http://home.wangjianshuo.com/
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:15 pm

No one should get too excited.

Only the the company's Chinese web pages work (assuming your browser is properly set to read them) and both reading and entering Chinese is required to book. Phone numbers are given, but they are only answered in Mandarin. An RMB-denominated credit card is required to book.

See:

http://www.china-sss.com/

I doubt if many readers of this site will by flying with Spring any time soon.

Peter N-H
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:51 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Spring Airlines is Foreigner Friendly

I was pretty sure I had seen Spring Airlines English version website...so I phoned them and they said its down for a few days for updates and should be back soon.

The original concept of the Airline was to have internet only ticket purchases as
a measure to reduce costs. Now they have english speaking reservation agents who can arrange tickets to be delivered by courier to a desired location where you pay in cash, if you don't have a debit/credit card. The fee is less than y20 for the courier service.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:54 am

Thanks for the update. My earlier attempt to book with them was entirely unsuccessful, and the English web site has been non-functional on all the occasions I've tried for two months, so don't hold your breath. (The Chinese pages occasionally have their problems, too).

It will be interesting to see if they actually can deliver.

Peter N-H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.