Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Good Time to Fly to China on UA

Good Time to Fly to China on UA

Old Jan 13, 06, 10:12 pm
  #1  
Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
Good Time to Fly to China on UA

Wanted to go to Shanghai for East China Fair for just a couple days in
March...checked the economy fare and it was $1700. So I remembered
the special mileage promotion UA is now offering. Called the UA phone
number and the exact dates I wanted were available....Good Bargain $1700
ticket for 45K miles.

here is the link...http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51486,00.html
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 13, 06, 10:20 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,359
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Wanted to go to Shanghai for East China Fair for just a couple days in
March...checked the economy fare and it was $1700. So I remembered
the special mileage promotion UA is now offering. Called the UA phone
number and the exact dates I wanted were available....Good Bargain $1700
ticket for 45K miles.

here is the link...http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51486,00.html
Perhaps you didn't conform with the 6-day minimum that most cheap fares require? If so, and you don't want to burn miles, you might want to look into JL/NH/OZ/KE. Or, you could just stretch your trip a bit; with the current double mile promo launching into March 3x, the idea of redeeming an award for anyone other than friends and relatives that don't care about miles, pains me.
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 13, 06, 10:34 pm
  #3  
Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps you didn't conform with the 6-day minimum that most cheap fares require? If so, and you don't want to burn miles, you might want to look into JL/NH/OZ/KE. Or, you could just stretch your trip a bit; with the current double mile promo launching into March 3x, the idea of redeeming an award for anyone other than friends and relatives that don't care about miles, pains me.
I think the March promo is actually triple miles. But I don't qualify for this.
Plus don't want to stay more than two days, so 6 day stay won't work. Plus most importantly...have no money to buy a ticket. So for me 45K miles is a good deal.
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 13, 06, 11:04 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,359
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I think the March promo is actually triple miles. But I don't qualify for this.
Plus don't want to stay more than two days, so 6 day stay won't work. Plus most importantly...have no money to buy a ticket. So for me 45K miles is a good deal.
march is triple miles, but there is also a systemwide double miles promo going on now

that's a compelling argument ---> miles well spent; pm me when you are in sh; i'll be there most of the time between cny and mid march
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 17, 06, 11:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,146
This week UA has efares to PVG and BJS from LAX and SFO (and possibly others).
Total runs under $600 - pretty good.
I wish I had vacation time left.
azepine00 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 06, 12:06 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,359
Originally Posted by azepine00
This week UA has efares to PVG and BJS from LAX and SFO (and possibly others).
Total runs under $600 - pretty good.
I wish I had vacation time left.
yeah, but all those good fares are capped at 30 days, which means a march (i.e. big miles) return isn't possible without paying close to $900 (not cool). thus, i'm still weighing my options.
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 18, 06, 10:38 am
  #7  
Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
May Re-Think This

Originally Posted by moondog
march is triple miles, but there is also a systemwide double miles promo going on now

that's a compelling argument ---> miles well spent; pm me when you are in sh; i'll be there most of the time between cny and mid march
Got a notice from UAL that I do qualify for the 3X miles. So now I am re-thinking this trip as far as using miles.

LAX to PVG is roughly 13,000 miles
so the net with two promotions and 1K status would be
65K miles...kind hard to pass up...just have to try to find a good price..

will PM you on the trip shedule..
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 19, 06, 6:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by azepine00
This week UA has efares to PVG and BJS from LAX and SFO (and possibly others).
Total runs under $600 - pretty good.
I wish I had vacation time left.

Hi, I just found this site while searching for a good fare to PVG. I searched United's site and couldn't find anything under $700. I have a very flexible schedule and can leave anytime between 1/22 and be back by 2/28. As a teacher I need to get the lowest fare possible or I'll be reading about China instead of writing about it!

Any advise on how to maximize mileage for this trip would also really be appreciated!

Thanks for any help or pearls of wisdom you'd be willing to share!

KC
dumbusername is offline  
Old Jan 20, 06, 11:13 am
  #9  
Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
Cheapest China Fare

Originally Posted by dumbusername
As a teacher I need to get the lowest fare possible or I'll be reading about China instead of writing about it!
KC
A friend of mine in China said she saw on ctrip.com fares of about $500. I once flew on UA for $525 RT , right after SARS hit, but usually its $700-$800 minimum.

Will ask her what airline had that fare and if you can book it US-CHINA-US.
I haven't seen any fares for $500 in years.
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 06, 12:21 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,359
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
A friend of mine in China said she saw on ctrip.com fares of about $500. I once flew on UA for $525 RT , right after SARS hit, but usually its $700-$800 minimum.

Will ask her what airline had that fare and if you can book it US-CHINA-US.
I haven't seen any fares for $500 in years.
almost certainly, no.

i just checked ctrip and the lowest fare they have listed in their specials pvg-lax is y4370 on mu. taxes run at least 700 so that puts the total over Y5000 or $620 or so. nh is usually a little cheaper than that to the west coast and about y500 more to iad/nyc
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 23, 06, 12:21 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,146
UA efares are published on tuesdays and remain available through fridays.
Check next tue in case UA decides to bring is back. It's possible that this particular one was sold out quickly.


Originally Posted by dumbusername
Hi, I just found this site while searching for a good fare to PVG. I searched United's site and couldn't find anything under $700. I have a very flexible schedule and can leave anytime between 1/22 and be back by 2/28. As a teacher I need to get the lowest fare possible or I'll be reading about China instead of writing about it!

Any advise on how to maximize mileage for this trip would also really be appreciated!

Thanks for any help or pearls of wisdom you'd be willing to share!

KC
azepine00 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread