Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I was in Shanghai about two months ago. A few business associates took me on a walking tour around the city. We stopped by a street vendor selling kabob-like meats on sticks. They were sort of like the satay that Singapore Airlines serve. I had several of them. Beef and lamb, as I was told.

Today I saw the news on MSNBC about vendors in China using stray cat meat disguised as lamb...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10737308/

One of the vendors look very similar to the one I ate from.
Oh my god, oh my god....

Should I go see my doctor on Monday and get myself examined? If so, what kind of diseases could I have gotten? The news mentioned something about parasites in cats... I have not felt any thing weird with my body in the last couple of month... but still... do I have reason to worry?

Again... OH MY GOD!!! I am about to barf out my dinner... Yes, I'm a cat lover and a cat owner...

Last edited by barefootflying; Jan 7, 2006 at 4:59 pm
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
If it's been two months I wouldn't worry about it too much... go get yourself checked out if you like but I would have thought whatever was going to happen would have happened by now anyway.

If you think the cat's no good, I wouldn't recommend the rat (sorry, couldn't resist).
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:23 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
I know it's off topic, however somewhat related, but did you know there is restraunt that specializes in rat dishes located in Guanzhou makes for good eating. or so I'm told
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Did it taste like lamb?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chalk it up to experience and move on
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Stephen Sondheim's musical, Sweeny Todd:

"Lately I've noticed something weird,
All the neighbors' cats have disappeared.
What a coarse enterprise,
Popping pussies into pie!"
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by barefootflying
I was in Shanghai about two months ago. A few business associates took me on a walking tour around the city. We stopped by a street vendor selling kabob-like meats on sticks. They were sort of like the satay that Singapore Airlines serve. I had several of them. Beef and lamb, as I was told.
Rule 1 when travelling overseas, follow the locals. Generally if whatever's being cooked is being eaten by the locals, it can't be too bad. I had Rat when I was in KUL a few years back, and I'm not dead... yet

Today I saw the news on MSNBC about vendors in China using stray cat meat disguised as lamb...
Not as uncommon as you think. Meat substitution is fairly common throughout most third world localities. While in the Phillipines I once queried a vendor as to what meat I was eating to be told "Not sure, whatever we caught yesterday".

Oh my god, oh my god
I've never seen two Chinese people that look similar. That'd gotta be him !

/sarcasm

Should I go see my doctor on Monday and get myself examined?
I wouldn't bother, personally, just chalk it up as an experience.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Should I sound the alarm that I might have eaten dog disguised as pork in Vietnam?

I'll just be willfully (and blissfully) ignorant....

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
If you think the cat's no good, I wouldn't recommend the rat (sorry, couldn't resist).
Is it bad that I've had stewed rat, and recently? (It ain't bad... and it was WATER rat... not that it makes it better)
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10737308/

I don't mean the person looks familiar... it's the vending
stand that he pushes around...

Should I go see my doctor on Monday and get myself examined? If so, what kind of diseases could I have gotten? The news mentioned something about parasites in cats... I have not felt any thing weird with my body in the last couple of month... but still... do I have reason to worry?

Again... OH MY GOD!!! I am about to barf out my dinner... Yes, I'm a cat lover and a cat owner...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannyr
Rule 1 when travelling overseas, follow the locals. Generally if whatever's being cooked is being eaten by the locals, it can't be too bad.
Keep in mind that the locals may have different tolerances or immunities with regards to bacteria or other microbes.

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/u...sNav=browseoyb
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:44 pm

Cat meat is fine, so is dog. Relax and get a hold of yourself.

Now that you're prepped, try monkey brain. I've had it Hannibal Lechter style, where the cranium has been carved, and you just pop off the cap. Good eats! Yum!

M8
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
The black ones taste best
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Have you been craving Whisker Lickins lately?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dannyr
I had Rat when I was in KUL a few years back, and I'm not dead... yet

As a local this is the first time I have heard about RATs being eaten here(other than by cats )

Care to share where I could find grilled rats in KUL
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, B6 TrueBluel
Originally Posted by PTravel
From Stephen Sondheim's musical, Sweeny Todd:

"Lately I've noticed something weird,
All the neighbors' cats have disappeared.
What a coarse enterprise,
Popping pussies into pie!"
Well, at least you didn't have a little priest, although knowing China's feelings toward organized religion, it wouldn't terribly surprise me....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.