Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Any problems entering China w/ Taiwan passport stamp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2003, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Is there any problem currently for US citizens either obtaining a China visa or actually entering into China if you already have a passport stamp for a Taiwan visit?
Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I can't speak for US citizens, but as UK citizen I have absolutely no problem with multiple Taiwan and Chinese stamps/visas.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
many of my ex-colleagues (US passports) going across the strait with no problem (via HKG, of course).

there is no reason for such a problem.
chinese are very pragmatic people.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:06 am

Nada
Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bear in mind that the PRC wants to open direct transportation links with Taiwan but the RoC government is hesitating.

I think you'd have more trouble entering the RoC with a PRC stamp but I doubt either care currently.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:33 pm

I know this is a really old thread, but have there been any changes in the last 10 years?

Any trouble for US citizen (US passport) to enter Mainland China and Taiwan? If one country has a problem with the other, would it matter what order they were visited? There's already a Mainland China visa in the passport.

This may sound silly, but I don't know....does the passport get stamped when there's a visa in place?

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by AbbyWalsh
I know this is a really old thread, but have there been any changes in the last 10 years?

Any trouble for US citizen (US passport) to enter Mainland China and Taiwan? If one country has a problem with the other, would it matter what order they were visited? There's already a Mainland China visa in the passport.

This may sound silly, but I don't know....does the passport get stamped when there's a visa in place?

Thanks.
No issues.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Passports generally do get stamped, but China doesn't care whether you've visited Taiwan or not. China is happy to welcome US citizens. The immigration officers never smile for some reason, but they are pleasant, efficient and polite. When you clear immigration, there's a little "voting box" where you can "rate" the officer, "good experience," "bad experience," something like that. If you press the "good" button, you'll receive a nice "thank you."

China is not an evil empire, and the only contact you'll have with the government is getting your visa, and clearing customs and immigration, which is faster, easier and more pleasant than in the U.S. Once you're there, you can go anywhere you want (except obvious off-limits places like military installations), photograph whatever you want, and say whatever you want. What is important in China is not disrupting the social order -- as long as you don't try to organize political demonstrations, or prayer meetings in the middle of Tian Anmen Square, or otherwise cause trouble, you can do whatever you want, no one will try to keep tabs on you, or any of the other popular misconceptions of those who have never been to China. China's a wonderful place to visit. Have a great time!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:14 pm

Interesting about the officer rating! It's my son that's traveling, I'll be sure to tell him about that. He's not a trouble-maker, so no worries in that regard. Getting his tourist visa for Mainland China was very simple, and he's planning to do several day trips there, and hopefully at least a weekend in Taiwan.

A family member mentioned there might be an issue between Taiwan and Mainland China, but the last time she traveled there was 1980! I keep telling her things have changed a little bit since then, but I figured I'd better check just to make sure.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Passports generally do get stamped, but China doesn't care whether you've visited Taiwan or not. China is happy to welcome US citizens. The immigration officers never smile for some reason, but they are pleasant, efficient and polite. When you clear immigration, there's a little "voting box" where you can "rate" the officer, "good experience," "bad experience," something like that. If you press the "good" button, you'll receive a nice "thank you."

China is not an evil empire, and the only contact you'll have with the government is getting your visa, and clearing customs and immigration, which is faster, easier and more pleasant than in the U.S. Once you're there, you can go anywhere you want (except obvious off-limits places like military installations), photograph whatever you want, and say whatever you want. What is important in China is not disrupting the social order -- as long as you don't try to organize political demonstrations, or prayer meetings in the middle of Tian Anmen Square, or otherwise cause trouble, you can do whatever you want, no one will try to keep tabs on you, or any of the other popular misconceptions of those who have never been to China. China's a wonderful place to visit. Have a great time!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Interesting about the officer rating! It's my son that's traveling, I'll be sure to tell him about that. He's not a trouble-maker, so no worries in that regard. Getting his tourist visa for Mainland China was very simple, and he's planning to do several day trips there, and hopefully at least a weekend in Taiwan.

A family member mentioned there might be an issue between Taiwan and Mainland China, but the last time she traveled there was 1980! I keep telling her things have changed a little bit since then, but I figured I'd better check just to make sure.
They were right in their time and place. We had to do business in PRC and Taiwan back then and all family who had to visit these two countries had multiple passports and Western government were issuing them for that reason.
Back then there were always PR photos of missiles aim across the Taiwan strait from both coast. The strait was no man's "water".

Now relationship has change more than a little bit.

For an young, educated handsome American male the only danger I can see are the Chinese girls at both places!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by tchen811
No issues.
Times have long changed, no problems. In fact Taiwanese get preferential treatment
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: most of them
Tons and tons of flights across the Strait too. Lots of mainland tourists in Taiwan these days as well.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Relocated to the China Forum, as this is about China entry / visa requirements.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Lots of mainland tourists in Taiwan these days as well.
Ugh. Unfortunately, this is very true. There is a historical site near my house, and I often go there in the mornings to do Tai Chi. I just try to finish up before the busloads of PRC tourists start showing up at about 9AM when it completely loses its tranquil charm.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Wow for thread revival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.