Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Forbidden city tickets via wechat

Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba exec blue

So my wife is from Beijing but myself and my two kids are British nationals.

We're here for two weeks and trying to get tickets to a few museums (in particular the forbidden city).

I've tried to follow the foreign nationals ticket process for the forbidden city but got refused as my wife is a Chinese national and we were told we all need to apply via the wechat app.

So after finally getting a local Chinese number we have tried in vain to book forbidden city tickets, we log on at 8pm each night and try and get four tickets but keep getting the server is busy to the point where there's no more tickets left.

My wife hasn't really been back to china for some time and so this is all new to us. Is there any tips or guidance for us trying to get tickets apart from keep trying?

Thanks In advance
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Papereyes
My wife hasn't really been back to china for some time and so this is all new to us. Is there any tips or guidance for us trying to get tickets apart from keep trying?

Can't you just turn up and buy tickets there?
Admittedly, it's been ~15 years since I last went, but I'd have thought they'd still have ticket counters on-site.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Admittedly, it's been ~15 years since I last went, but I'd have thought they'd still have ticket counters on-site.
Yeah that's what I thought but it's seems that's not the case as it's only booking online which requires wechat (which doesn't seem to always work or emailing them direct but that only works of the entire party is foreign nationals - in our case that doesnt work)
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
You can't -- we went a couple of years ago during COVID and found out you had to reserve ahead of time. My wife was able to see open slots a few days in advance (on wechat), but we were only there for the day so didn't end up going.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Papereyes
Yeah that's what I thought but it's seems that's not the case as it's only booking online which requires wechat (which doesn't seem to always work or emailing them direct but that only works of the entire party is foreign nationals - in our case that doesnt work)
cant you just claim you + kids is a stand-alone party?

Wife is stand-alone
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So the tickets open 2 weeks (or 10 days?) in advance and get bought out in minutes through the official channel on WeChat. Both foreigners and locals use the same channel.
The tickets get sold out in minutes after they are released- this has been the case since about March. There have been a number of unscrupulous travel agencies that have been buying these up and then reselling them on the black market - some of them have been stopped recently.

There are a bunch of less scrupulous tourist agencies that will sell you the same ticket (200 vs 50 or something like that.), making it into a "package" with something useless. Check CTrip (or trip.com), Fliggy, QuNar (read as chu-naer). You'll need a local number to buy.

Mao-soleum - same issue.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gudugan
cant you just claim you + kids is a stand-alone party?

Wife is stand-alone
Can do, issue is getting the tickets for wechat, can't get for one or for the whole family. Looks like they get scooped up at release (7days in advance)
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
So the tickets open 2 weeks (or 10 days?) in advance and get bought out in minutes through the official channel on WeChat. Both foreigners and locals use the same channel.
The tickets get sold out in minutes after they are released- this has been the case since about March. There have been a number of unscrupulous travel agencies that have been buying these up and then reselling them on the black market - some of them have been stopped recently.

There are a bunch of less scrupulous tourist agencies that will sell you the same ticket (200 vs 50 or something like that.), making it into a "package" with something useless. Check CTrip (or trip.com), Fliggy, QuNar (read as chu-naer). You'll need a local number to buy.

Mao-soleum - same issue.
Maos tomb is worth a skip.

The Forbidden City ticketing situation sounds like its set up well for the party chief in charge of the ticket allocation to upgrade his apartment, mistress and car situation.
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Maos tomb is worth a skip.
worth a stop or worth skipping?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
worth a stop or worth skipping?
skip it
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by YariGuy
You can't .....

Wow, ok. Things have changed!
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a (very) tangential note, I attempted to get tickets for the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in March shortly after it reopened by logging into their website promptly at 9a and the entire allotment was gone within 3 minutes. When we got down to the Mall, the line for people who had tickets was a solid 500 meters long and scalpers were asking $50/ticket, which would have simply earned us a chance to stand in the line for several hours. As much as I love airplanes, checking out the other museums seemed to be the logical course of action.

Switching gears back to Beijing, if I ever got shut out of the Forbidden City, I'd simply start off in Jingshan (to grab that choice photo against the Forbidden City in the background) and then Beihai instead, and maybe use the money saved on tickets to rent a boat. And, of course, I'd cap off the day with cold beer.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
if I ever got shut out of the Forbidden City, I'd simply start off in Jingshan (to grab that choice photo against the Forbidden City in the background) and then Beihai instead, and maybe use the money saved on tickets to rent a boat.
The Renaissance Beijing Wangfujing has nice views of the area from the executive lounge. So go enjoy your beer there, and then head to Taipei to see the treasures.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YariGuy
The Renaissance Beijing Wangfujing has nice views of the area from the executive lounge. So go enjoy your beer there, and then head to Taipei to see the treasures.
I could easily give Jingshan Park a pass because I've already seen the view and taken the same picture many times (Beihai is a different story because it's more fun), but when the weather is decent, beer in 南锣鼓巷 beats the pants off hotel lounge beer.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Also FYI - if you don't have tickets for the forbidden city or the mao-soleum, you need a reservation to enter Tiananmen Square (also thru WeChat).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.