Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What is the proper procedure for installing Didi on iOS

What is the proper procedure for installing Didi on iOS

Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:20 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Thank you! I will send her this information. For someone normally using the US app store, is it possible to download from the Chinese app store?

Thank you! Does this require a Chinese bank account?
You can pay Via Alipay/WeChat balance, which doesn't require a bank card.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by rt23456p
You can pay Via Alipay/WeChat balance, which doesn't require a bank card.
To do this, you need a Chinese phone number or you need to pay the 5% AliPay TourCard fee. See Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

You can use DiDi with a foreign credit card.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What the heck? Is Didi banned or something? Why isn't this in the app store?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Related question: what is the recommended procedure to download Android apps? In the past I simply baidu'ed the app name and clicked on some semi-random sites that had the .dmg file. Is there a safer way?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:38 am

https://www.scmp.com/tech/article/32...atory-scrutiny

Well you might not be able to get non Chinese apps soon...
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
https://www.scmp.com/tech/article/32...atory-scrutiny

Well you might not be able to get non Chinese apps soon...
This author has no idea what he's talking about. China's Apple APP store has banned apps such as Twitter since time immemorial. So the only change is that apps currently listed on China's Apple APP store will require government registration. I doubt that's going to be an issue since most of those apps are going to be Chinese made anyway.

Chinese iPhone users who need foreign apps have figured out long ago how to change the APP store region setting.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
This author has no idea what he's talking about. China's Apple APP store has banned apps such as Twitter since time immemorial. So the only change is that apps currently listed on China's Apple APP store will require government registration. I doubt that's going to be an issue since most of those apps are going to be Chinese made anyway.

Chinese iPhone users who need foreign apps have figured out long ago how to change the APP store region setting.
This is completely wrong. This is the link to X on the Chinese App Store. It is also available on my iPhone with the Chinese App Store.
https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/x/id333903271
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
This is completely wrong. This is the link to X on the Chinese App Store. It is also available on my iPhone with the Chinese App Store.
https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/x/id333903271
Sorry, you're right. I had long switched my iTunes region out of China as certain apps weren't available there so it hasn't occurred me that all these apps which are unusable without a VPN would continue to be available in the Chinese app store.

The primary effect on users of an ICP requirement would be that they need to switch their iTunes account out of China and find a different payment method.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Sorry, you're right. I had long switched my iTunes region out of China as certain apps weren't available there so it hasn't occurred me that all these apps which are unusable without a VPN would continue to be available in the Chinese app store.

The primary effect on users of an ICP requirement would be that they need to switch their iTunes account out of China and find a different payment method.
X is going to evolve in to a Wx clone.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 10:14 am

As an app developer, supporting China is just checking a box on the "which countries is my app available in", the same as any other country. A lot of app developers just support every country by default and only remove countries when they feel like it.

There are many users with the Chinese App Store who live in places outside China so there is no real net negative to keeping these apps available. Obviously users with the China App Store who are in China know that they need to use a VPN to use these apps so the developers don't get spammed with bad reviews.

BTW, it is possible to create an Apple ID in a new region (e.g. USA) without a payment method as long as you only download free apps: https://www.macworld.com/article/334...nt-method.html. Last time I tried, creating an Apple ID in *China* region usually requires a payment method.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.