Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with airfare prices to China?

What's the deal with airfare prices to China?

Old Sep 7, 22, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if they are permitted to restart some more frequencies after the big meeting. However, I don't see them getting a green light for returning to their pre-Covid schedule in one shot. Furthermore, even if this were to happen, it's not like droves of people will be lining up to fly to Chengdu or Xi'an right off the bat. Chicago and/or Newark to Shanghai...maybe. But, that Seoul stop will start to become more of a competitive disadvantage, assuming Chinese airlines ramp up service at the same time.
Ill bet you a beer at boxing cat that the schedule of UA flights to China in December will be exactly the same as today.

Nothing is gonna change after the big meeting in regards to Covid. Zero Covid is here for another year or two. Common prosperity is also gonna ramp up after the coronation, which will reduce the need for business people to travel since there wont be much business going on.
tauphi likes this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Ill bet you a beer at boxing cat that the schedule of UA flights to China in December will be exactly the same as today.

Nothing is gonna change after the big meeting in regards to Covid. Zero Covid is here for another year or two. Common prosperity is also gonna ramp up after the coronation, which will reduce the need for business people to travel since there wont be much business going on.
As long as we replace Boxing Cat (AB InBev seriously destroyed their product) with somewhere else, you're on. My position is that UA will actually fly at least one additional weekly frequency between the US and China (returning to the US, of course) by December 15.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Just checked out of curiosity: ~$9300 for O/W SFO-PVG in E.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Just checked out of curiosity: ~$9300 for O/W SFO-PVG in E.
SFO-ICN (nonstop on UA) is $500-700 in economy and around $2500 in business; remember UA 857 goes to ICN anyway.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:25 am

SFO-ICN (nonstop on UA) is $500-700 in economy and around $2500 in business; remember UA 857 goes to ICN anyway.
Good news for those looking to go to Korea!
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Good news for those looking to go to Korea!
Korea to China flights are only around $500. Sure, you can't be too picky about where in China, but you can fly from wherever you end up to your destination after seven fun-filled days. Many people on 857 go to other cities post quarantine anyway.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 10:06 pm

I know. Duh!
It's the reason why I looked at what they charge for the direct these days. I was surprised it hasn't come down in price yet.
Flights aren't full at all, and there many more choices now. Would have thought it would be reflected in the price...evidently not.
Old Sep 13, 22, 9:39 pm

I know. Duh!
It's the reason why I looked at what they charge for the direct these days. I was surprised it hasn't come down in price yet.
Flights aren't full at all, and there many more choices now. Would have thought it would be reflected in the price...evidently not.
Are they not full because of a lack of demand or are they not full because China is limiting the capacity on the flight?
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Are they not full because of a lack of demand or are they not full because China is limiting the capacity on the flight?
Good question....they appeared unusually empty. Do you know what the capacity limitation is, currently?
...and price did drop from ~$9300 to ~$6600 for the date I looked at.
Old Sep 14, 22, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question....they appeared unusually empty. Do you know what the capacity limitation is, currently?
...and price did drop from ~$9300 to ~$6600 for the date I looked at.
I believe it's still 75% (to China only). There was/is a 40% option for infringing flights, but that wasn't too popular with the airlines (i.e no passengers in exchange for a shorter timeout made more sense).
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 8:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Around 6pm this evening, United.com offered 35K XN saver award SFO-PVG for selected dates between Nov. and Jan.

I also saw lot of $2,080 fares for 857.

I grabbed several of them.

About one hour later, they disappeared. In fact, UA shut down ticket sales for SFO-PVG.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 2:24 pm

KE 38 ORD ICN has Prestige (business class), currently a 777-300ER with 8 FC seats, however KE doesn't offer FC service on this route, so the seats are used by Prestige. The KE agent on the phone said those FC seats are assigned on request at airport checkin. Anyone had any experience on this route?

The trip is late Oct/early Nov and will be connecting ICN to China.
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joesk View Post
KE 38 ORD ICN has Prestige (business class), currently a 777-300ER with 8 FC seats, however KE doesn't offer FC service on this route, so the seats are used by Prestige. The KE agent on the phone said those FC seats are assigned on request at airport checkin. Anyone had any experience on this route?

F seat with Prestige?
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joesk View Post

IME KE tends to give the IFC seats sold a business class seats only to its own elites. You can ask, but unless you have high tier status with KE (and not just a close alliance partner), KE agents will refuse to give you a seat in the FC cabin.
joesk likes this.

Search this Thread