Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from London to China

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: moondog
Wiki Link
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 22, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Dear Forum,

I知 new to the forum, I知 in London UK, there are no direct flights London to China and it is very frustrating to find a good route to reach China, can anyone help? Many thanks

Daniel
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:17 am

Programs: UA
You may want to read through some of the recent conversation in Current China Entry policy. Getting to China is indeed very difficult (and expensive!); best of luck in finding something that works out for you.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
Dear Forum,

I’m new to the forum, I’m in London UK, there are no direct flights London to China and it is very frustrating to find a good route to reach China, can anyone help? Many thanks

Daniel
Where do you want to go in China?
What's your visa status?
What's your flight budget?
Can you spare a full 30 days in Thailand on the way (this drops down prices a lot)?

ETA: in the absence of any details at all, my advice is for you to fly LH LHR-FRA-PVG. The thing is, you should have considered including more specific information in your OP. Your generic inquiry is honestly not useful for you or us.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 5, 22 at 9:23 am
Old Jul 5, 22, 11:13 am
Original Poster

going to Shanghai, I got a single entry visa for 6 months, budget not a problem , want to go July , August or September

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Where do you want to go in China?
What's your visa status?
What's your flight budget?
Can you spare a full 30 days in Thailand on the way (this drops down prices a lot)?

ETA: in the absence of any details at all, my advice is for you to fly LH LHR-FRA-PVG. The thing is, you should have considered including more specific information in your OP. Your generic inquiry is honestly not useful for you or us.
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
going to Shanghai, I got a single entry visa for 6 months, budget not a problem , want to go July , August or September
Aces did you check the suggested route with LH for LHR-fra-pvg?
can your company痴 travel division find something for you?
are you set with hotel and quarantine?
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I plugged in random on Google flights for LHR/pvg - they suggested etihad (ey)

Old Jul 5, 22, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

the double pcr test seems very complicated, I believe I need to do one in London 12 hours before departing then also need to do a double pcr test at connection airport? Very confusing and testing facilities at connection airport not even bothered to reply to your email or answer the phone 😔

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Aces did you check the suggested route with LH for LHR-fra-pvg?
can your company痴 travel division find something for you?
are you set with hotel and quarantine?
Old Jul 5, 22, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
the double pcr test seems very complicated, I believe I need to do one in London 12 hours before departing then also need to do a double pcr test at connection airport? Very confusing and testing facilities at connection airport not even bothered to reply to your email or answer the phone 😔
The ability to take indirect flights to China has only just opened up in the past week or so, the last year+ it's been direct flights permitted only. Which as you note makes it very difficult to fly from the UK which currently has no direct passenger flights and hasn't had since Jan 21 when Alpha kicked off. As it's the local embassy that seems to set the rules for who is allow on the direct flights to China and gets the health code approval, I don't think there is much experience yet of how things really work yet for connecting flights.

Throw in the strict limits on the number of international flights with passenger numbers limited (social distancing enforced) plus the fact that if an airline transports a flight that turns out to have more than 5 passengers or 5% of the passenger total who subsequently test positive for COVID then the airline is put in the sin bin for 14 days and all flights are cancelled with no notice, and you can start to appreciate some of the very real challenges.

China wants to make it as difficult as possible for people to go to China at the moment, the authorities are just about tolerating some limited movement of non-Chinese nationals through the border, but do not expect your journey to be easy or trouble free. Once you get there expect sub-optimal quarantine 'experience', along with ongoing PCR testing by an army of snowmen, health code 'fun', and a population who are more circumspect of foreigners than usual, it's not for the faint hearted.
rt23456p and gudugan like this.

Last edited by plunet; Jul 5, 22 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 5, 22, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA
Tbh it's probably better to find a flight to an airport with a direct flight to China, book the two legs separately and stay at the connection point for a few days, and deal with the testing things there, so that you aren't dealing with the additional complications required of connecting flights.
Old Jul 5, 22, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Im thinking the same but things are not very clear someone told me I need to do double pcr test in UK a and then also at the connecting airport and with prices going up to 」5000+ it痴 very risky to miss the plane in case you make some mistakes with tests, reporting to embassy applying for health code etc, super frustrating I didn稚 see my wife and daughter for 2 years 😔

Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Tbh it's probably better to find a flight to an airport with a direct flight to China, book the two legs separately and stay at the connection point for a few days, and deal with the testing things there, so that you aren't dealing with the additional complications required of connecting flights.
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You may also want to check /r/chinavisa on reddit, there is a lot of information there
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
The ability to take indirect flights to China has only just opened up in the past week or so, the last year+ it's been direct flights permitted only. Which as you note makes it very difficult to fly from the UK which currently has no direct passenger flights and hasn't had since Jan 21 when Alpha kicked off. As it's the local embassy that seems to set the rules for who is allow on the direct flights to China and gets the health code approval, I don't think there is much experience yet of how things really work yet for connecting flights.
From the UK, it's been indirect flights only for the past year or so. BUT, some connections have been much friendlier than others wrt testing. which is why the LH option has been the most popular.

That having been said, in addition to relaxing the direct flights rule, the Chinese also made testing a lot easier last week, though clear explanations of the new policies are hard to come by.

In any event, if the OP can postpone booking until the dust settles, he'll presumably have more options.

I'm also guessing that BA and/or MU will restart direct flights fairly soon.

Danielinvesting When you are ready to book, it's useful to figure out which days of the week various options are operating before doing flight searches. Most international flights to PVG only go once or twice per week, so you'll only see them if you search on the right days.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:48 pm

it's useful to figure out which days of the week various options are operating before doing flight searches
is there a Google Flights tool or something that will show all options to a destination, but only non-stop?

I mean, if BA were to fly LHR-PVG, but only on Tuesday and Thursday, is there a way to search “show me all non-stop nly flights for the 3rd week of September “. Or something.
Old Jul 5, 22, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
is there a Google Flights tool or something that will show all options to a destination, but only non-stop?
At least one WeChat OA maintains a list of all international flights to/from China. I can't recall which one(s) off-hand but maybe try Expat Focus.

Google is kind of useful as well (e.g. "Japan to China flights" yields a site that is updated frequently), but a "Europe to China" flights search doesn't yield results that are detailed enough. The thing is, you can at least figure out the routes and search on them individually (e.g. "Frankfurt Shanghai flight schedule").

I mean, if BA were to fly LHR-PVG, but only on Tuesday and Thursday, is there a way to search “show me all non-stop nly flights for the 3rd week of September “. Or something.
If/when BA relaunches any China routes, I'm certain they will issue press releases. MU probably would as well for a route like PVG-LHR, but maybe not in English.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 5, 22 at 11:15 pm
Old Jul 5, 22, 11:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post

I mean, if BA were to fly LHR-PVG, but only on Tuesday and Thursday, is there a way to search 都how me all non-stop nly flights for the 3rd week of September . Or something.
https://www.ikkyinchina.com/china-tu...ghts-to-china/
joesk likes this.

Search this Thread