Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from London to China

Best way to travel from London to China

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: moondog
Wiki Link
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 20, 22, 9:10 pm
  #121  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
if a flight to china departing at 6am how to account for the 48h testing time? Considering that testing facility will take around 2h to give you results thanks
I am not seeing the problem here. The information on the Chinese embassy website is very clear in terms of what information must be on the test result certificate:
Passengers’ personal information including full name, date of birth, passport number and gender must be indicated in the test reports, as well as the sample collection time, test method (PCR must be indicated), test results and the name of the clinic.

For a 6am departure on Day 0 the timing of the tests is rather straightforward:

PCR Test #2 on Day -1 at 10:00 (a 4 hour turnaround on the result will get this to you by 14:00, so plenty of time that afternoon for the embassy staff to process the health code). Note this is 20 hours before departure and 25-26 hours after the first test;

PCR Test #1 on Day -2 at 08:00-09:00 (no need to find a place that opens super early - many places will guarantee the result the same day if you take the test around this time). Note this test is 45-46 hours before departure.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jul 20, 22 at 10:37 pm
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 12:03 am
  #122  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
1. Testing Requirements

All travellers, Chinese and foreign nationals alike, are to undergo two PCR nucleic acid tests within 48 hours of departure (these tests may be done at two different institutions on the same day; or they may be done by the same institution with a minimum period of 24 hours between each test). The sample for the second PCR test is to be taken within 24 hours of departure.



Iím a bit confused, that means 48h I need to do 2 PCR test and also another test 24h before departure to china? Someone told me their translation was not accurate and actually is just 2 tests one within 48h and one within 24h, the problem is that people will tell you lots of different things and because the cost of ticket is very expensive is important to do everything right, thanks


Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
I am not seeing the problem here. The information on the Chinese embassy website is very clear in terms of what information must be on the test result certificate:

For a 6am departure on Day 0 the timing of the tests is rather straightforward:

PCR Test #2 on Day -1 at 10:00 (a 4 hour turnaround on the result will get this to you by 14:00, so plenty of time that afternoon for the embassy staff to process the health code). Note this is 20 hours before departure and 25-26 hours after the first test;

PCR Test #1 on Day -2 at 08:00-09:00 (no need to find a place that opens super early - many places will guarantee the result the same day if you take the test around this time). Note this test is 45-46 hours before departure.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 12:06 am
  #123  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
also if arrive at my transit area 15h before my flight for china how many tests I need to do? Sorry for all the questions Iím almost getting there, Iím a bit anxious and trying to put together a perfect plan stress free 😊 Thanks

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
I am not seeing the problem here. The information on the Chinese embassy website is very clear in terms of what information must be on the test result certificate:

For a 6am departure on Day 0 the timing of the tests is rather straightforward:

PCR Test #2 on Day -1 at 10:00 (a 4 hour turnaround on the result will get this to you by 14:00, so plenty of time that afternoon for the embassy staff to process the health code). Note this is 20 hours before departure and 25-26 hours after the first test;

PCR Test #1 on Day -2 at 08:00-09:00 (no need to find a place that opens super early - many places will guarantee the result the same day if you take the test around this time). Note this test is 45-46 hours before departure.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:13 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
1. Testing Requirements

All travellers, Chinese and foreign nationals alike, are to undergo two PCR nucleic acid tests within 48 hours of departure (these tests may be done at two different institutions on the same day; or they may be done by the same institution with a minimum period of 24 hours between each test). The sample for the second PCR test is to be taken within 24 hours of departure.

Iím a bit confused, that means 48h I need to do 2 PCR test and also another test 24h before departure to china? Someone told me their translation was not accurate and actually is just 2 tests one within 48h and one within 24h, the problem is that people will tell you lots of different things and because the cost of ticket is very expensive is important to do everything right, thanks
Before I can answer anything please tell us exactly where you found this text (i.e. give the http link). Which country are you talking about departing from here? Forget what "people" tell you - all that matters is what is posted on the relevant Chinese embassy websites (i.e. for the country you will be departing from at the start of your trip and for the final flight to China). And this is not the English language text of the most recent announcement on the Chinese Embassy website in the UK (I have already posted the link to that announcement twice upthread). Neither is it a translation of the text in the corresponding Chinese announcement. So where does it come from?
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:29 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
also if arrive at my transit area 15h before my flight for china how many tests I need to do? Sorry for all the questions Iím almost getting there, Iím a bit anxious and trying to put together a perfect plan stress free 😊 Thanks
First let's establish some terminology.
"Transit" usually means a connecting flight within 24 hours.
"Airside transit" means that to connect you do not pass immigration and stay airside.
A "stopover" is where you have a connection that lasts more than 24 hours and you enter the country, stay for some time and then fly on somewhere else.

Now the problem is this. Until the start of this month the only option to "transit" was via an airport with an airside testing facility. In that case you had to stay airside, take a PCR and antigen test airside, and then apply for the health code. Only a few airports had such a facility and only some of these were allowed to be used according to the Chinese regulations (for example it was possible at Arlanda in Sweden for some time, but after too many positive cases slipped though on flights to China, the Chinese authorities de-authorized the use of airside transit at Arlanda).

The new rules, starting from early in July are overall much more relaxed. BUT at least to my reading, they now exclude the use of any direct airside transit option, and instead request that passengers "transiting" follow the same requirements as for residents. This is a positive step as previously a health code would not be given unless you were a permanent resident in the country where you apply (or at the very least have been resident for 30 days).

The confusion here is that the Chinese embassy text refers to "transit" - whereas in fact the rules in fact now allow for transit via a stopover (where you enter the country and then are treated as if you were resident in that country - other than you have also to provide the health code from the country you first departed from)

So to my understanding, under these new rules, a 15 hour wait between flights is not going to be acceptable - though I invite others reading this to comment in case I have misunderstood the new situation.
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 2:00 am
  #126  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
Before I can answer anything please tell us exactly where you found this text (i.e. give the http link). Which country are you talking about departing from here? Forget what "people" tell you - all that matters is what is posted on the relevant Chinese embassy websites (i.e. for the country you will be departing from at the start of your trip and for the final flight to China). And this is not the English language text of the most recent announcement on the Chinese Embassy website in the UK (I have already posted the link to that announcement twice upthread). Neither is it a translation of the text in the corresponding Chinese announcement. So where does it come from?
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 2:01 am
  #127  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
Notice Regarding Adjustments in Testing Requirements for Travellers From Finland For China



Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
Before I can answer anything please tell us exactly where you found this text (i.e. give the http link). Which country are you talking about departing from here? Forget what "people" tell you - all that matters is what is posted on the relevant Chinese embassy websites (i.e. for the country you will be departing from at the start of your trip and for the final flight to China). And this is not the English language text of the most recent announcement on the Chinese Embassy website in the UK (I have already posted the link to that announcement twice upthread). Neither is it a translation of the text in the corresponding Chinese announcement. So where does it come from?
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:11 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
Finland? How many curveballs are you going to throw us ...?

But okay, let's work with that. So it seems that for Finland the specific rules allow for either:
#1 two tests on the same day at different testing facilities, or
#2 two tests separated by 24 hours using the same testing facility,

where both tests must be within 48 hours of departure and the second test must be within 24 hours of departure.

So on paper at least a 15 hour transit might work - but the timing is extremely tight given that you will need to use option #1 (two tests same day at different places), and the Finnair flight to China leaves at 13:25. That means that you need to upload the information to the health-code app at the latest I would say 10:00 am to be safe, so you will need the result from both tests by that time.

The open question here is how strictly "same day" should be interpreted. To be safe I would interpret this as literally the same calendar day (not "within 24 hours"). If you have a 15 hour transit time that means you will be arriving late at night the previous day.

So in that case you will need to pass through immigration (enter Finland) then go to one location to do test #1, then go to do test #2 at a different test location, doing both tests before midnight that day. Or wait until the next day (after midnight) then take the two tests.

In the first case you will need to find two places that stay open very late. For the second case you will need places that are either open 24 hours, or open very early and can provide results in few hours (e.g. one test at 06:00 and another at 07:00 with a 3 hour turn around for the results).

This just seems unnecessarily risky, if even possible. Even if there is one test place at the airport, you still need a second test centre to use option #1. And in either case you will need to enter Finland, and so there is no disadvantage that I can see to spending a longer time "in transit" to allow time to get the tests sorted.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jul 21, 22 at 3:27 am
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:26 am
  #129  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
if only UK a would open a direct route to China everything would be so much easier not sure what they are waiting for !

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
Finland? How many curveballs are you going to throw us ...?

But okay, let's work with that. So it seems that for Finland the specific rules allow for either:
#1 two tests on the same day at different testing facilities, or
#2 two tests separated by 24 hours using the same testing facility,

where both tests must be within 48 hours of departure and the second test must be within 24 hours of departure.

So on paper at least a 15 hour transit might work - but the timing is extremely tight given that you will need to use option #1 (two tests same day at different places), and the Finnair flight to China leaves at 13:25. That means that you need to upload the information to the health-code app at the latest I would say 10:00 am to be safe, so you will need the result from both tests by that time.

The open question here is how strictly "same day" should be interpreted. To be safe I would interpret this as literally the same calendar day (not "within 24 hours"). If you have a 15 hour transit time that means you will be arriving late at night the previous day.

So in that case you will need to pass through immigration (enter Finland) then go to one location to do test #1, then go to do test #2 at a different test location, doing both tests before midnight that day. Or wait until the next day (after midnight) then take the two tests.

In the first case you will need to find two places that stay open very late. For the second case you will need places that are either open 24 hours, or open very early and can provide results in few hours (e.g. one test at 06:00 and another at 07:00 with a 3 hour turn around for the results).

This just seem unnecessarily risky, if even possible. Even if there is one test place at the airport, you still need a second test centre to use option #1. And in either case you will need to enter Finland, and so there is no disadvantage that I can see to spending a longer time "in transit" to allow time to get the tests sorted.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:27 am
  #130  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
this company in Finland told me itís just 2 pcr test to take in total





Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
Finland? How many curveballs are you going to throw us ...?

But okay, let's work with that. So it seems that for Finland the specific rules allow for either:
#1 two tests on the same day at different testing facilities, or
#2 two tests separated by 24 hours using the same testing facility,

where both tests must be within 48 hours of departure and the second test must be within 24 hours of departure.

So on paper at least a 15 hour transit might work - but the timing is extremely tight given that you will need to use option #1 (two tests same day at different places), and the Finnair flight to China leaves at 13:25. That means that you need to upload the information to the health-code app at the latest I would say 10:00 am to be safe, so you will need the result from both tests by that time.

The open question here is how strictly "same day" should be interpreted. To be safe I would interpret this as literally the same calendar day (not "within 24 hours"). If you have a 15 hour transit time that means you will be arriving late at night the previous day.

So in that case you will need to pass through immigration (enter Finland) then go to one location to do test #1, then go to do test #2 at a different test location, doing both tests before midnight that day. Or wait until the next day (after midnight) then take the two tests.

In the first case you will need to find two places that stay open very late. For the second case you will need places that are either open 24 hours, or open very early and can provide results in few hours (e.g. one test at 06:00 and another at 07:00 with a 3 hour turn around for the results).

This just seem unnecessarily risky, if even possible. Even if there is one test place at the airport, you still need a second test centre to use option #1. And in either case you will need to enter Finland, and so there is no disadvantage that I can see to spending a longer time "in transit" to allow time to get the tests sorted.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:39 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
But seriously, why are you considering this option? The price via Helsinki is coming out at around 6000 USD - and you will need to take tests in both the UK and Finland.

I am pretty sure that moondog already mentioned in a private message to you the option to travel from Rome. That is priced at only (!) around 4000 USD for late Sep and October - but for you, as you have an Italian passport, this means that you could probably use this route without the need to take any tests in the UK. Just fly to Rome, stay there a few days then take the tests and then fly on to China.

Unless there are any questions on the health code form that ask where have you been living, they will just see someone applying from Italy with an Italian passport and not consider that you may have arrived in Italy a few days earlier after living in the UK.
joesk likes this.
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:48 am
  #132  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
I got Italian passport but Iím UK resident , I had my Chinese visa in London

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
But seriously, why are you considering this option? The price via Helsinki is coming out at around 6000 USD - and you will need to take tests in both the UK and Finland.

I am pretty sure that moondog already mentioned in a private message to you the option to travel from Rome. That is priced at only (!) around 4000 USD for late Sep and October - but for you, as you have an Italian passport, this means that you could probably use this route without the need to take any tests in the UK. Just fly to Rome, stay there a few days then take the tests and then fly on to China.

Unless there are any questions on the health code form that ask where have you been living, they will just see someone applying from Italy with an Italian passport and not consider that you may have arrived in Italy a few days earlier after living in the UK.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:56 am
  #133  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
also from Helsinki can fly to my wife city Chengdu

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
But seriously, why are you considering this option? The price via Helsinki is coming out at around 6000 USD - and you will need to take tests in both the UK and Finland.

I am pretty sure that moondog already mentioned in a private message to you the option to travel from Rome. That is priced at only (!) around 4000 USD for late Sep and October - but for you, as you have an Italian passport, this means that you could probably use this route without the need to take any tests in the UK. Just fly to Rome, stay there a few days then take the tests and then fly on to China.

Unless there are any questions on the health code form that ask where have you been living, they will just see someone applying from Italy with an Italian passport and not consider that you may have arrived in Italy a few days earlier after living in the UK.
Danielinvesting is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:14 am
  #134  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
I got Italian passport but Iím UK resident , I had my Chinese visa in London
I hadn't considered that your visa was issued in the UK - in that case they might indeed consider you as "transiting" through Italy (though if the visa was issued some months ago they are not to know whether you moved back to Italy in the meantime).

In any case if you want to take the Sichuan airlines (HEL-CTU) option then the simplest thing is to follow my advice above, and the advice in the message you received from the PCR test company, and allow a decent length stopover in Helsinki, and don't try to squeeze in the tests on a <24 hr transit.
GinFizz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:39 am
  #135  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 65
thank you again for being so helpful and patient with me, slowly Iím getting there, bit worried if flight will got cancelled, not sure if Sichuan airline will refund me? 😊

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
I hadn't considered that your visa was issued in the UK - in that case they might indeed consider you as "transiting" through Italy (though if the visa was issued some months ago they are not to know whether you moved back to Italy in the meantime).

In any case if you want to take the Sichuan airlines (HEL-CTU) option then the simplest thing is to follow my advice above, and the advice in the message you received from the PCR test company, and allow a decent length stopover in Helsinki, and don't try to squeeze in the tests on a <24 hr transit.
Danielinvesting is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread