Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from London to China

Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Best way to travel from London to China

Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There are actually no flights bookable from HKG to PVG until October. Similar situation for all other cities in China.
Right, the number of people who are allowed to travel from HK to China each day is carefully limited. There is no way that they're going to turn on the taps by allowing transit passengers into China via HK.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Just Curious, can you Fly to Hong Kong, take the MTR to Shenzhen, and then a train to Shanghai?
No, the only two land borders open are Shenzhen Bay and the Zhuhai/HK bridge. Both have strict daily quotas in place and are currently massively oversubscribed.
The Shenzhen Bay border has just switched to a lottery scheme to decide who gets through on each day.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I spot checked 5 flights from the link I posted, plus 5 others operated by non-chinese airlines.
-AUH PVG seems to have good availability with a $5k price floor
-FRA, AMS, ARN, CDG are booked pretty solid (even the XIY, CTU, CKG flights)
-ICN TAO has some open dates, but $4k for a 90 minute flight?
-flights from CMB, ALA, Minsk, etc are going for less than $3k, but let's just ignore these war zone options
-TPE PVG is actually pretty cheap. To pull this off, you'd need permission to enter Taiwan, quarantine there, and maybe jump through some more hoops YariGuy Do you have any insights on this option?

​​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Just Curious, can you Fly to Hong Kong, take the MTR to Shenzhen, and then a train to Shanghai?
Originally Posted by tauphi
No, the only two land borders open are Shenzhen Bay and the Zhuhai/HK bridge. Both have strict daily quotas in place and are currently massively oversubscribed.
The Shenzhen Bay border has just switched to a lottery scheme to decide who gets through on each day.
You guys read the memo that you need scalpers to align the following three items to return to China right https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...china-arrivals ?

1) HK DQH
2) Golden bus to Zhuhai
3) Zhuhai quarantine hotel

Good luck DIYing all three. And yes, Shenzhen Bay's now turned into a lottery.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:57 am
Original Poster

such a mess to book flights , on Skyscanner it shows there is an available direct flight from Copenhagen to Beijing on September 12 for just £700 but when you check with Air China they will tell you it’s all fully booked

Originally Posted by moondog
I spot checked 5 flights from the link I posted, plus 5 others operated by non-chinese airlines.
-AUH PVG seems to have good availability with a $5k price floor
-FRA, AMS, ARN, CDG are booked pretty solid (even the XIY, CTU, CKG flights)
-ICN TAO has some open dates, but $4k for a 90 minute flight?
-flights from CMB, ALA, Minsk, etc are going for less than $3k, but let's just ignore these war zone options
-TPE PVG is actually pretty cheap. To pull this off, you'd need permission to enter Taiwan, quarantine there, and maybe jump through some more hoops YariGuy Do you have any insights on this option?

​​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting
such a mess to book flights , on Skyscanner it shows there is an available direct flight from Copenhagen to Beijing on September 12 for just £700 but when you check with Air China they will tell you it’s all fully booked
Oh yeh, those phantom CPH PEK flights. I had a run in with those back in late 2020. Had to resort to Amex doing a chargeback to get a refund for those non-flights after 2 months of being patient.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

please guys help me to find the best way to enter China it’s 2 years that I’m not able to see my wife and daughter, I got 6 month Q2 visa expiring at the end of December 🙏🙏🙏

Originally Posted by plunet
Oh yeh, those phantom CPH PEK flights. I had a run in with those back in late 2020. Had to resort to Amex doing a chargeback to get a refund for those non-flights after 2 months of being patient.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA
please guys help me to find the best way to enter China it’s 2 years that I’m not able to see my wife and daughter, I got 6 month Q2 visa expiring at the end of December 🙏🙏🙏
There is no best way, everything sucks. Anyways, did you look through the links that moondog sent? One of them lists operating international flights by Chinese airlines, and moondog did some searching and AUH-PVG seems to have good availability.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
​​​​​​
As far as I know, to do this option, you will need to the ability to enter Taiwan. Currently (as of July 12, 2022 because things change all the time) this means being Taiwanese, spouse of a Taiwanese, or being able to enter on business. Right now the quarantine policy is 3+4 (3 days at home or hotel, not going out, and 4 days of monitoring (not supposed to gather)).

This is my Plan B on entering China (Plan A being flying directly from the USA). This plan is a pretty good plan B because as Moondog says, flights from TSA (yes, TSA) to PVG are cheap and plentiful. However, the drawback is that there is currently a cap of 40,000 entrants per month, including citizens, that is executed at the airline level, so prices TO Taiwan are pretty high. Prices will go down though because (1) caps will be lifted / increased (2) summer rush will be done by September.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
This is my Plan B on entering China (Plan A being flying directly from the USA). This plan is a pretty good plan B because as Moondog says, flights from TSA (yes, TSA) to PVG are cheap and plentiful. However, the drawback is that there is currently a cap of 40,000 entrants per month, including citizens, that is executed at the airline level, so prices TO Taiwan are pretty high. Prices will go down though because (1) caps will be lifted / increased (2) summer rush will be done by September.
I just checked for one-way flights from HKG to TPE and there seems to be wide-open availability all priced at less than HK$1,500. What's the actual entry numbers into Taiwan currently? Are they running anywhere near the cap?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:47 pm

I just checked the Taiwan BOCA website and the cap is currently 40,000 per week, not per month.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LHR-TPE (both of these searches are for nonstop flights only)

LHR-HKG
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tauphi
I just checked the Taiwan BOCA website and the cap is currently 40,000 per week, not per month.
I stand corrected. Whatever the number it's a small fraction of 2019 actual entries.

And airlines (most notoriously EVA) are consistently going over the cap. I don't know if they're being fined, or what.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
travel agent!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

im thinking maybe to do London dubai and dubai to Beijing, are there any quarantine or covid restriction in Dubai?

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I stand corrected. Whatever the number it's a small fraction of 2019 actual entries.

And airlines (most notoriously EVA) are consistently going over the cap. I don't know if they're being fined, or what.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.