Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Best way to travel from London to China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the situation now in Chengdu with the lockdown and earthquake? Are the people in this thread who were going to Chengdu OK?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the situation now in Chengdu with the lockdown and earthquake? Are the people in this thread who were going to Chengdu OK?
1. If anything nutzo was happening in Chengdu, we'd certainly know about it
2. The only current participant in this thread who has been to Chengdu recently is the OP Danielinvesting
3. Assuming the lockdown protocols there are similar to Shanghai and Shenzhen, nobody is starving
4. I relayed travelinmanS advice to the Finnish lady, and she is now looking at other options (remarkably, she didn't realize that a lockdown is grounds for a refund)
-she was considering taking a train to Hangzhou and flying from there to CTU on the once/per day flight; that's a dumb idea for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which is the possibility of being stuck at HGH with a ton of luggage when the flight is canceled
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:35 pm

The Chengdu lockdown is quite different compared to Shanghai. Shanghai locked down too late so the virus was already everywhere. As such they had to minimise the number of essential workers which is why food distribution became a problem.

Chendu on the other hand locked down at a much earlier point in the trajectory. So far essential delivery services are operating as usual in Chengdu.
moondog and YariGuy like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi
The Chengdu lockdown is quite different compared to Shanghai. Shanghai locked down too late so the virus was already everywhere. As such they had to minimise the number of essential workers which is why food distribution became a problem.

Chendu on the other hand locked down at a much earlier point in the trajectory. So far essential delivery services are operating as usual in Chengdu.
Nice of the jailers to ensure their prisoners are fed.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:49 am

Story Update

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update on my and my mother in laws journey back to china via the Abu Dhabi route.

I happy to report that it all went very smoothly and she is now safely in Beijing quarantine.

For anyone interested we flew from Manchester to Abu Dhabi. We then stayed in apartment there and arranged the required PCR tests. (There are a few extras as it was a Etihad requirement).

From UK we did the following:

1. Single PCR test in Glasgow - 48 hr pre flight. (£49)
2. Single PCR test in Glasgow at another lab- 24 hr pre flight.(£80)
3. Apply for Green QR HR code. Green code given within 5 hours.

From Abu Dhabi we did the following:

1. Double PCR at biogenix lab - 48 hr pre flight. (170 AED, £43)
2. Single PCR at another lab (Accuracy Plus). - 24 hr pre flight. (200 AED, £51)
3. Single PCR at biogenix lab - 12 hr pre flight. (250 AED, £63)
4. Apply for Green QR HR code as well as Black QR code (Not entirely sure what it is, possibly a health declaration). Green code given within 2 hours.

All in all a good set up. The biogenex lab appears to have a partnership with Etihad airlines so they are ready and organized onsite.

If anyone is traveling that route, get in touch and I can help with any phone numbers or addresses.

Cheers
moondog, uanj, ExpatExp and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by TJ Wark
Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update on my and my mother in laws journey back to china via the Abu Dhabi route.

I happy to report that it all went very smoothly and she is now safely in Beijing quarantine.

For anyone interested we flew from Manchester to Abu Dhabi. We then stayed in apartment there and arranged the required PCR tests. (There are a few extras as it was a Etihad requirement).

From UK we did the following:

1. Single PCR test in Glasgow - 48 hr pre flight. (£49)
2. Single PCR test in Glasgow at another lab- 24 hr pre flight.(£80)
3. Apply for Green QR HR code. Green code given within 5 hours.

From Abu Dhabi we did the following:

1. Double PCR at biogenix lab - 48 hr pre flight. (170 AED, £43)
2. Single PCR at another lab (Accuracy Plus). - 24 hr pre flight. (200 AED, £51)
3. Single PCR at biogenix lab - 12 hr pre flight. (250 AED, £63)
4. Apply for Green QR HR code as well as Black QR code (Not entirely sure what it is, possibly a health declaration). Green code given within 2 hours.

All in all a good set up. The biogenex lab appears to have a partnership with Etihad airlines so they are ready and organized onsite.

If anyone is traveling that route, get in touch and I can help with any phone numbers or addresses.

Cheers
Thank you for reporting back. That's an intense amount of testing! I'm curious what the point of the tests in Manchester was. I assume those three tests in Abu Dhabi were at the direction of the PRC consulate there?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Thank you for reporting back. That's an intense amount of testing! I'm curious what the point of the tests in Manchester was. I assume those three tests in Abu Dhabi were at the direction of the PRC consulate there?
Perhaps. But airlines may also want to impose extra tests in order to avoid the circuit-breaker.

Some airlines go one step further and pre-quarantine their passengers in designated hotels.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Perhaps. But airlines may also want to impose extra tests in order to avoid the circuit-breaker.

Some airlines go one step further and pre-quarantine their passengers in designated hotels.
After I posted, I did notice that TJ Wark mentioned "(There are a few extras as it was a Etihad requirement)".

Perhaps this explains the PCR tests in Manchester? I can't imagine the Chinese would care about those.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps this explains the PCR tests in Manchester? I can't imagine the Chinese would care about those.
the Chinese Embassy in the UK absolutely do care about the PCR tests conducted as you leave the UK to transit elsewhere.

From Notice on Further Simplified Requirements for the Application of Health Declaration Certificate for Passengers form the UK to China

Ⅳ. Passengers taking transit routes need to obtain an HDC green code in the UK and another HDC green code in the last stop before entering China. Please check the website of the Chinese Embassy in the last stop country for the detailed requirements.
I seem to remember Danielinvesting had to do PCR tests in the UK before he started his journey in London with Finnair.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:26 am

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

We didnt actually test in manchester but glasgow as its local to us and the early flight from manchester didnt allow time to do it there. But yes that was a requirement of the chinese consulate in UK to get the green code to allow travel.

Then at the last destination before travel to china (My case it was Abu Dhabi), you need to so the same 2 tests again. Etihad added the last PCR test 12 hours before departure as well as asking that 2 (China consulate only require 1) tests were performed while doing the 48 hr PCR test.
moondog and plunet like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've just shared a trip report for a passenger who recently flew both LHR TAO on JD432 and TAO LHR on JD431 over in the main thread for getting in and out of China, but linking to it here on the London thread as well.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34713336-post2239.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.