Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from London to China

Best way to travel from London to China

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: moondog
Wiki Link
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 22, 6:09 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
are you in China right now?

I think Iíll go with same company the one that open 8am to 16.00 for both tests, on August 17 at 8am normal one and August 18 also at 8am the rapid one, same company is ok if gap of 24h right? Departure to China August 18 at 23.20
That should be okay - but given the amount of effort (and cost) required to get to China, I would not take any risks about how strictly the embassy interprets "minimum period of 24 hours between each test" ...

Take the test on Aug 17th at 08:00 and then the test on Aug 18th at 08:10 (clearly more than 24 hours between the two). If those slots are taken just shift accordingly - making sure the 2nd test is at least 24 hours and 10 minutes after the first (you have quite some flexibility if you take the rapid second PCR test given that has a 2 hour turn around time).

And yes, I am also still in China (from the UK and have been here since the end of Jan 2020 when this whole thing kicked off ...).
moondog, joesk and plunet like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 12:40 pm

If you're in North America and vaccinated, and able to go to Canada, Air China's direct flights from YVR have been the cheapest and most consistent flights to take to go to China since covid started.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigdog2 View Post
If you're in North America and vaccinated, and able to go to Canada, Air China's direct flights from YVR have been the cheapest and most consistent flights to take to go to China since covid started.
AC from YYZ was also cheap last year, but most of us weren't allowed to transit in Canada without considerable hassle until recently. Now prices on Canada--China fares have gone up quite a bit, though continue to be less expensive than US-China fares on AA, DL, UA, MU, CZ, CA, and MF.
joesk likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 8:54 am

Hi all,

I just read today that direct flights have now resumed from uk to China, starting with chin ease carriers. So fingers crossed it going to become easier for everyone in the coming months. I am now debating if itís better to cancel my already booked route from
manchester consisting of a weeks stay in Abu Dhabi onward to BeijingÖ..
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TJ Wark View Post
Hi all,

I just read today that direct flights have now resumed from uk to China, starting with chin ease carriers. So fingers crossed it going to become easier for everyone in the coming months. I am now debating if itís better to cancel my already booked route from
manchester consisting of a weeks stay in Abu Dhabi onward to BeijingÖ..
You need to do a price/time comparison
-note that LHR-PEK probably means LHR-TSN (this isn't a huge deal, but pencil in $100 for Tianjin to Beijing transportation after your Q)
--the total price of an Abu Dhabi routing isn't especially cheap yes, and you'll need to spend 2-3 days in Abu Dhabi if you avail of this option
-Seoul also requires a 2-3 day stopover, but LHR-ICN + ICN-China flights are not expensive
joesk likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:44 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond in waiting..
BBC reporting new virus in China, maybe the world will be quicker to react this time..
As a just in case it gets out off hand again...
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel View Post
BBC reporting new virus in China, maybe the world will be quicker to react this time..
As a just in case it gets out off hand again...
What the BBC didn't say is that the Chinese authorities have been monitoring this new virus for a few years already (it's not so new) but it is worth being aware of it, especially if going to Shandong and Henan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62489808

Unusually, there is s little more context in the Daily Mail
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11095995/

Interesting that it's suggested that the Taiwanese CDC appear to have blown the whistle on this one whilst also being shared in an academic journal.
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
-note that LHR-PEK probably means LHR-TSN (this isn't a huge deal, but pencil in $100 for Tianjin to Beijing transportation after your Q)
--the total price of an Abu Dhabi routing isn't especially cheap yes, and you'll need to spend 2-3 days in Abu Dhabi if you avail of this option
-Seoul also requires a 2-3 day stopover, but LHR-ICN + ICN-China flights are not expensive
PEK flights getting diverted elsewhere is ancient history. In 2022, if your flight says that it's landing at PEK, then it is PEK.
joesk likes this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 3:43 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
If I were in the UK right now and wanting to get back to China, I would certainly seriously consider the AUH route. The price is coming up as only 6000 RMB in total, and this routing (LHR-AUH/54hrs layover/AUH-PEK) has the advantage of all being on one ticket.

Given the way that suspensions work (with some delay in-between announcement and implementation) there is almost zero risk of this going wrong for that reason (if the AUH-PEK leg is cancelled then you would be able to cancel the whole ticket before departure - enforceable still by the EU261 regs.). And with the current weather in the UK it could be a good break from the summer heat .

Agree though that Seoul is a good option, and probably the one I would take, just because I would rather spend a few days there than in Abu Dhabi, and I am okay with the risk of the flight from ICN going bad (but would only stay the minimum time needed in Seoul to minimize the time between leaving the UK and the flight from ICN to China - as that minimizes the risk of that flight being suspended after leaving the UK).
joesk likes this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
If I were in the UK right now and wanting to get back to China, I would certainly seriously consider the AUH route. The price is coming up as only 6000 RMB in total, and this routing (LHR-AUH/54hrs layover/AUH-PEK) has the advantage of all being on one ticket.

Given the way that suspensions work (with some delay in-between announcement and implementation) there is almost zero risk of this going wrong for that reason (if the AUH-PEK leg is cancelled then you would be able to cancel the whole ticket before departure - enforceable still by the EU261 regs.). And with the current weather in the UK it could be a good break from the summer heat .

Agree though that Seoul is a good option, and probably the one I would take, just because I would rather spend a few days there than in Abu Dhabi, and I am okay with the risk of the flight from ICN going bad (but would only stay the minimum time needed in Seoul to minimize the time between leaving the UK and the flight from ICN to China - as that minimizes the risk of that flight being suspended after leaving the UK).

hi gin fizz. Yeah Iím going to keep my flights via ahu. As mentioned before Iím flying there with my Chinese mother in law and she will travel on to Beijing.

im now looking into booking the required 2 pcr tests pre departure from uk. Does anyone have any advice on which companies to use as I believe I need to use 2 different? Iíll be driving down to Manchester airport from Glasgow area and flying from there. Iím thinking a test a few days before departure in Glasgow area or even by post? Followed by a test at Manchester airport or surrounding area in the day of departure.

Any advise appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 22, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TJ Wark View Post
hi gin fizz. Yeah Iím going to keep my flights via ahu. As mentioned before Iím flying there with my Chinese mother in law and she will travel on to Beijing.

im now looking into booking the required 2 pcr tests pre departure from uk. Does anyone have any advice on which companies to use as I believe I need to use 2 different? Iíll be driving down to Manchester airport from Glasgow area and flying from there. Iím thinking a test a few days before departure in Glasgow area or even by post? Followed by a test at Manchester airport or surrounding area in the day of departure.

Any advise appreciated.
As I posted (way) up thread, you should rely on your consulate/embassy for this information (if the websites are up to date, you might not even need to call them). The airline would be my backup source. While our forum members here are quite helpful, not a single one of us is up to speed on the rules TODAY.

Here is an (off-topic) example of fast rule changes. We have a mall here in Shanghai called 1000 trees. I went there on 8/1 because I heard that all restaurants were open for inside dining. This was true. So, I arranged a meeting there the next day. Suffice it to say, we had to change venues because all of those restaurants were forced to close (open again now, fwiw). The point I'm attempting to re-highlight here is that rules change constantly, and this definitely applies to pre-trip testing (e.g. data from 3 months ago is no longer relevant).
Old Aug 20, 22, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help

Guys Iím finally in China Chengdu, I arrived yesterday via Helsinki, everything in Helsinki went very smoothly I was staying at the Hilton hotel which was just 5 minutes walking distance from airport, testing facilities also at 5 minutes from hotel , I only had 1 big scared cause the Finland embassy only gave me an health code validity of just 15 hours, the flight to China delayed of 1 hours so I become extremely nervous another hour and I could not board it, however a guy told me a little trick, basically if you always keep the health code page open without closing it it will always show the green code, at airport they didnít scan they just look at name and passport number on the code so it could well work out, no idea why the embassy gave me 15 hours validity, my second test was done 23h before departing time maybe better to do the second test 18-15h before departure? I submitted the 2 tests results at the embassy at around 6am and flight was at 23.20, so not sure it was my mistake or the embassy, in London I did the same second test 23h before departure and they gave me 20h validity, either way Iím finally in China now, quarantine hotel is great nothing to complain and I just want to thank you everyone who helped me with the numerous questions I had 🙏
uanj, joesk, tauphi and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Congrats and thanks for reporting back on the happy outcome.

Some people here might be interested in the details of your entry and quarantine hotel experience.
Old Aug 20, 22, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
Guys Iím finally in China Chengdu, I arrived yesterday via Helsinki, everything in Helsinki went very smoothly I was staying at the Hilton hotel which was just 5 minutes walking distance from airport, testing facilities also at 5 minutes from hotel , I only had 1 big scared cause the Finland embassy only gave me an health code validity of just 15 hours, the flight to China delayed of 1 hours so I become extremely nervous another hour and I could not board it, however a guy told me a little trick, basically if you always keep the health code page open without closing it it will always show the green code, at airport they didnít scan they just look at name and passport number on the code so it could well work out, no idea why the embassy gave me 15 hours validity, my second test was done 23h before departing time maybe better to do the second test 18-15h before departure? I submitted the 2 tests results at the embassy at around 6am and flight was at 23.20, so not sure it was my mistake or the embassy, in London I did the same second test 23h before departure and they gave me 20h validity, either way Iím finally in China now, quarantine hotel is great nothing to complain and I just want to thank you everyone who helped me with the numerous questions I had 🙏
I take screenshots of mine because my health code is in Alipay, which I use mainly for buying things.

There is a small snag with this approach (as well yours) though; some venues insist that you scan their QR codes, which generates an updated health code. Didi drivers seemed to care the most shortly post lockdown because they wanted to have records of all passengers that were in their cars. However, IME most no longer even ask.

Few places require 24-hour codes. Exceptions are airports and train stations, and some of these are 48-hour.

Subways and buses required 48-hour codes for a brief period, but now 72-hours is fine, and if you show proof of a test that is pending, that also seems to work. YMMV

If you do end up in Shanghai, the Yugo Grille is one of my favorite restaurants; as of now, they are the only restaurant I know of that requires 48-hour (or less) codes. I was rejected at the door last week, and didn't even get a chance to show the manager my test in progress.

The thing about testing here is that there are now kiosks within 600 meters of pretty much all points in central Shanghai. They have various operating hours (Alipay can tell you where the closest ones are and when they are open), but if you're out walking around, you'll invariably pass by an open kiosk with close to no line, and you'll develop a pattern (e.g. I know to go Jiashan Rd between 1 and 6 or Yongjia Road after 6). In addition to my phone, I bring an antigen test with me and I keep a screenshot of my testing card with me. Most places don't ask for either, but some do. In the case of antigen tests, I don't even bother to name/date them anymore because the guards only want to see that they are negative, and then you throw them into a trash bin.
Old Aug 20, 22, 9:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
I take screenshots of mine because my health code is in Alipay, which I use mainly for buying things.
That's my suspicion too, if only persons seeking to enter premises are required to scan and checkers are just required to visually confirmed (c.f., actually scan the codes as restaurant checkers are required to in Hong Kong). Using a screenshot, everyone will be clean, unless and until some more serious checker require them to produce the code from scratch, starting with them logging into the Alipay (Leavehomesafe) app.

I've been wondering how the whole health code system has been enforced with gaping holes like that.

Search this Thread