Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from London to China

Best way to travel from London to China

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: moondog
Wiki Link
1. The information in this thread is time sensitive
2. Nearly all flights to China cost $4,000 or more
3. The best current option is discussed in the thread
4. The second best is now Korea (if you fly AA, AF, DL, or UA, you are going there anyway)
5. The third best option entails taking a new flight that we are keeping on the down low (just like point 3, but this one will last longer than point 3)
6. The fourth best option is Taiwan; you have cheap flights on both ends, BUT you'll be staying there for a week, AND need to be able to enter Taiwan
7. Finally, we have Hong Kong. You can get there pretty easily but plan on spending about $3,000 (and a week)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 22, 8:31 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TJ Wark View Post
I hope someone doesn’t come on here and tell me I’ve made a massive mistake !
I was going to post to a reply earlier this evening (here in China) to say that if you are both fully vaccinated (complete course + booster, or complete course with last vaccine less than 6 months ago) then taking the Emirates option is a no-brainer, for several reasons:

1) The Chinese embassy in UAE has text that specifically refers to requirements for transit passengers (confirming this is allowed);
2) Etihad Emirates have text on their web-site that specifically mentions that passengers transiting to China need to plan a stopover of at least 48 hours (so they are aware the passengers will book with this purpose);
3) It can be booked all on one ticket (so the only risk you are exposed to is if the AUH-China flight is suspended then your return ticket could be a casualty);
4) Tests in the UAE are reasonably priced;
5) Visa on arrival is available for both you and your mother-in-law;
6) Ticket prices are the lowest you will find;
7) Did I mention the price?

With regard to your other question (though moot now) - it seems that the "direct airside transit" option is now almost gone. I say "almost" as for both Denmark and Finland it seems this is no longer possible or practical, though this is still allowed according to the Chinese embassy in Germany for transit through Frankfurt, where you can take a double PCR test that satisfies the "two tests 48 hours before flight with at least one <24 hours before the flight" option (two tests < 24 hours before the flight also meets this requirement).
moondog and joesk like this.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jul 22, 22 at 9:12 am Reason: Etihad not Emirates ...
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Do you mean no more direct route from Finland to China?

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
I was going to post to a reply earlier this evening (here in China) to say that if you are both fully vaccinated (complete course + booster, or complete course with last vaccine less than 6 months ago) then taking the Emirates option is a no-brainer, for several reasons:

1) The Chinese embassy in UAE has text that specifically refers to requirements for transit passengers (confirming this is allowed);
2) Emirates have text on their web-site that specifically mentions that passengers transiting to China need to plan a stopover of at least 48 hours (so they are aware the passengers will book with this purpose);
3) It can be booked all on one ticket (so the only risk you are exposed to is if the AUH-China flight is suspended then your return ticket could be a casualty);
4) Tests in the UAE are reasonably priced;
5) Visa on arrival is available for both you and your mother-in-law;
6) Ticket prices are the lowest you will find;
7) Did I mention the price?

With regard to your other question (though moot now) - it seems that the "direct airside transit" option is now almost gone. I say "almost" as for both Denmark and Finland it seems this is no longer possible or practical, though this is still allowed according to the Chinese embassy in Germany for transit through Frankfurt, where you can take a double PCR test that satisfies the "two tests 48 hours before flight with at least one <24 hours before the flight" option (two tests < 24 hours before the flight also meets this requirement).
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Danielinvesting View Post
Do you mean no more direct route from Finland to China?
No - that is not what I wrote. TJ Wark was asking about the direct airside transit options (before the start of July this was the only possible way to transit). As far as I can see (and confirmed by your reply from the test center in Helsinki) transiting through Finland is possible but requires a stay of long enough to complete the tests and these cannot be done airside (so requires entry into Finland).

The airside transit option through Frankfurt is possible as there is an airside testing facility that is specifically approved by the Chinese embassy in Germany to carry out a "double PCR test".

Passengers transiting via Frankfurt Airport can take "double PCR" test at the international transit area of Frankfurt Airport. The test is conducted by two laboratories and can be accepted as two different test facilities.
(from the Chinese embassy website, latest update (2022-06-29 19:30)
3) Die Transitfluggšste haben die MŲglichkeit, sich im Transitgebiet an der Flughafenklinik am Flughafen Frankfurt (das Medical Center am Flughafen Frankfurt) testen zu lassen, wo Real-time-PCR (Doppeltest) mit zwei unterschiedlichen Reagenzien angeboten ist. Die somit sich ergebenden zwei negativen RT-PCR-Testergebnisse werden ebenfalls von den chinesischen Auslandsvertretungen in Deutschland anerkannt.

Translation: Transit passengers have the opportunity to be tested in the transit area at the airport clinic at Frankfurt Airport (the Medical Center at Frankfurt Airport), where a RT-PCR double test using two different reagents is offered. The resulting two negative RT-PCR test results are recognized by the Chinese missions in Germany.
(though in effect useless at present as I can't see any availability for routes from FRA to China)
joesk likes this.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jul 22, 22 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me tell you more about Korea. KE will probably give you one night at the Hyatt, but nights 2 and 3 will set you back $250 each. Whenever I stopover in Seoul for 2-3 days, I find a hotel in Incheon New Town on my own. You can eat, drink, and get massages there.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:39 am
Original Poster

how many tests you are doing from London? Chinese doctor at london clinic told me 3 tests, 2 within 48h and 1 within 24h so 3 in total, while in Finland seems only 2 tests, or maybe I didnít understand well

Originally Posted by TJ Wark View Post
Hi Daniel,yes she has 3 vaccines which makes it easier I believe. Just a matter of finding facilities to covid test and a hotel. Chinese citizen can get visa on arrival as well as uk citizen
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:49 am

how many tests you are doing from London? Chinese doctor at london clinic told me 3 tests, 2 within 48h and 1 within 24h so 3 in total, while in Finland seems only 2 tests, or maybe I didnít understand well
No the doctor did not say that you need three tests. The requirements is to do two tests less than 48 hours before departure and to do one test less than 24 hours before departure. These requirements overlap - the test less than 24 hours before departure is also by definition a test less than 48 hours before departure.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Danielinvesting

Please do the following
-book a ticket or set of tickets that you like
-focus on placing yourself in Asia
-tell us about your specific flights
-YOU should ascertain testing details yourself, but the rest of us are eager to assist
-we can also help on the hotel selection front in Incheon, Taipei, Abu Dhabi, Chongqing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong
-this drill honestly isn't that hard. While it's probably true that you've never paid more than $4,000 to go China (in economy class) before, that's the current deal. If you have the funds, you can definitely make it happen
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:15 am
Original Poster

the quarantine hotel in China can be chosen in advance or it will be assigned at random?

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Danielinvesting

Please do the following
-book a ticket or set of tickets that you like
-focus on placing yourself in Asia
-tell us about your specific flights
-YOU should ascertain testing details yourself, but the rest of us are eager to assist
-we can also help on the hotel selection front in Incheon, Taipei, Abu Dhabi, Chongqing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong
-this drill honestly isn't that hard. While it's probably true that you've never paid more than $4,000 to go China (in economy class) before, that's the current deal. If you have the funds, you can definitely make it happen
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the quarantine hotel in China can be chosen in advance or it will be assigned at random?
The process is mostly random for most people, but you obviously get to choose your arrival city, and possibly the district where the hotel is located. I have ONE friend who was offered a 400 and a 700 hotel option in Xiamen. The latter got him a private courtyard.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 3:18 am
Original Poster

what do you put as an address on the entry form if you donít know the hotel beforehand?

The process is mostly random for most people, but you obviously get to choose your arrival city, and possibly the district where the hotel is located. I have ONE friend who was offered a 400 and a 700 hotel option in Xiamen. The latter got him a private courtyard.
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you put as an address on the entry form if you don’t know the hotel beforehand?
I provided them with my address in Xuhui, and was sent to a hotel in Xuhui as a result, but the specific location of the hotel doesn't really matter because you are only getting a room (i.e. disregard other amenities you desire in hotels, though a private courtyard would be nice). When you are released at 6a, make sure you can get to your next spot. I happened to have about 800 in red notes because I got most of my food money back, but you need Didi at that hour.

Unless things have changed since 10/2021, plan on cleaning your room yourself. On the bright side, you can expect ~20 roles of TP, ~10 towels, a lot of toiletries, a big bottle of laundry detergent, and a second bed.
joesk likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 23, 22 at 10:17 am
Old Jul 24, 22, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

apart this health code declaration https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/ do we also need to install any application on wechat?

I provided them with my address in Xuhui, and was sent to a hotel in Xuhui as a result, but the specific location of the hotel doesn't really matter because you are only getting a room (i.e. disregard other amenities you desire in hotels, though a private courtyard would be nice). When you are released at 6a, make sure you can get to your next spot. I happened to have about 800 in red notes because I got most of my food money back, but you need Didi at that hour.

Unless things have changed since 10/2021, plan on cleaning your room yourself. On the bright side, you can expect ~20 roles of TP, ~10 towels, a lot of toiletries, a big bottle of laundry detergent, and a second bed.
Old Jul 25, 22, 1:09 am
Original Poster

when I will upload the travel itinerary in London in the health declaration form from London to Helsinki do I need to upload just the itinerary to Helsinki or also the one from Helsinki to china? Cause the 2 flights will be separate flights, I will arrive in Helsinki on a Tuesday and will leave for China on a Friday, thanks

Old Jul 25, 22, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apart this health code declaration https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/ do we also need to install any application on wechat?
Alipay health codes work quite well in Shanghai. In addition to Alipay, I got separate health codes from the PRC consulate in San Francisco and the United Airlines staff at SFO, and I haven't needed either since. When I visited Hangzhou, I needed to get a travel health code and a Hangzhou-specific health code. This might sound confusing, but many people are around to help. I'm confident that your trip will go smoothly.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I will fly from London to Helsinki on August 16, I will arrive at 14.55, my flight to China is scheduled for August 18 at 23.20. The 2 testing facilities inside airport have some opening times which Iím not sure work well with the 48h and 24h

Testing facility number 1 open from 04am to 24.00 pm. and can give results in 12-24h

testing facility number 2 open from 8.00 to 16.00 but can give results in a faster time 12h and can also have the 2 hours test results option

Can you please suggest me whatís the best timing to take the 2 PCR tests? Iím almost there, many thank 🙏

Alipay health codes work quite well in Shanghai. In addition to Alipay, I got separate health codes from the PRC consulate in San Francisco and the United Airlines staff at SFO, and I haven't needed either since. When I visited Hangzhou, I needed to get a travel health code and a Hangzhou-specific health code. This might sound confusing, but many people are around to help. I'm confident that your trip will go smoothly.

Search this Thread