Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reflections of China during 2022 Q2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Hi, all. I'm pleased to report that Shanghai is (almost) normal again, and I'm fairly confident that new lockdowns will be both local and short in duration; all of us can handle that.

travelinmanS when you return, you will almost certainly be permitted to go to work. Unfortunately, we are going to need to select different meeting spots. The lockdown played out poorly for restaurants: "Pay your rent now. I can't pay my rent because I have no revenue. Okay; it was nice knowing you ---> empty building".

The place formerly known as Pistolera will certainly reopen because that is choice real estate (I'm referring to Hengshan Rd). The same goes for the new Camel, though they are in a tighter spot because they built their business around their BBQ master, and he is gone.

Shanghai without foreigners feels a little strange. In addition to travelinmanS , we have lost YariGuy , Matthew, Isacc, and Jaimie (i.e. pretty much all of my non-Chinese friends).

All of these guys have the ability to return, but they are standing on the sidelines because 1. $10,000 is a lot of money for most people; 2. the lockdown is still fresh in their memories (e.g. you might love your significant other a great deal and have an enormous house, but try spending 60 days with him/her and get back to us "go back to your own house" isn't on the table, and no hotels would sell you a room).

In closing, it appears that foreign guests are almost welcome again...as long as they can pony up $10k, and endure 7 days (better than 14) in a nasty hotel room. I will help you guys with food (during Q), and treat you for a meal at Chili's after you escape.
joesk and narvik like this.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 19, 2022 at 11:31 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog

Shanghai without foreigners feels a little strange. In addition to travelinmanS , we have lost YariGuy , Matthew, Isacc, and Jaimie (i.e. pretty much all of my non-Chinese friends).
I will most definitely be back. Even if things don't get better by the end of the year, I will suck it up and go through the travel hoops and the dreaded quarantine.

In the meantime at least you still have Abbey Road trivia. At least that's open.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Good to hear things are [almost] back to normal.
I should be making my way back around September or October this year, heading to Beijing again, and likely quarantining in Shanghai first.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I will most definitely be back. Even if things don't get better by the end of the year, I will suck it up and go through the travel hoops and the dreaded quarantine.

In the meantime at least you still have Abbey Road trivia. At least that's open.
We are frequently ridiculed for not having you as our leader, and we are also hopeless in the literature category (Isaac was our expert). Coming in last place two weeks ago was a humbling experience (i.e. how is it possible to finish 4 out of 4?). That having been said, we managed to win last week's contest. narvik if you are able to include a Thursday evening after you clear Q, please join us. We will also send you food during Q.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:18 pm

in regards to Shanghai almost back to normal...anything to this blurb today?

Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pruss2ny
in regards to Shanghai almost back to normal...anything to this blurb today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.