Wiki Posts
Search

International Roaming with Chinese SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Woodbury commons literally writes 推 and 拉 on the doors lol. I wouldn’t be surprised if retail workers get paid extra if they can speak mandarin there.

I’ve seen Alipay signs all over Manhattan at stores like Sephora.

Very strange that these Alipay terminals can only accept money from accounts tied to Chinese nationals. Foreigners cannot pay there. Given how strict China is with capital controls, it’s surprising they allow this from a capital inflow/outflow perspective.
Yes, there are language skill bonuses.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by YariGuy
I don't know about Unicom as I use China Mobile.

When traveling outside of China on China Mobile, they have a plan where maximum data charges are capped at RMB 30 per day, with no data limit. You can't go on Google or any other blocked sites in China even if you're overseas, but this is the same with Unicom or any other China-based telco.

RMB30 or $5 can still get expensive, but this is better than the nightmare stories I've read about US telecom subscribers getting charged thousands of dollars for overseas roaming.
China Unicom offers similar but only on postpaid. If you're prepaid there's no cap on how much you can be charged, unlike China Mobile which offers it on both prepaid and postpaid.

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Very strange that these Alipay terminals can only accept money from accounts tied to Chinese nationals. Foreigners cannot pay there. Given how strict China is with capital controls, it’s surprising they allow this from a capital inflow/outflow perspective.
From a certain perspective it makes sense- it's easier to implement the outflow limit for Chinese nationals ($50k per person per year) than it is for foreign nationals (variable depending on salary).
lsquare and WasKnown like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamar
China Unicom offers similar but only on postpaid. If you're prepaid there's no cap on how much you can be charged, unlike China Mobile which offers it on both prepaid and postpaid.

From a certain perspective it makes sense- it's easier to implement the outflow limit for Chinese nationals ($50k per person per year) than it is for foreign nationals (variable depending on salary).
Afaik there is no limit on how much Chinese can spend overseas to buy stuff. The limit is on cash exchange from RMB to foreign currency. The foreigner thing is a pet peeve of mine.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

My China Unicom SIM worked okay in the US, but I ended up buying a Tmoblie SIM to use in slot 2 because I wanted friends/family to be able to call me without paying international rates.
lsquare and Cryofern like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.