Reload this Page >

Giving Chinese people English names and vv

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving Chinese people English names and vv

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
When I was at the Defense Language Institute, every student was assigned a name in their target language, usually by their primary instructor. Since my target language was Korean, I have a Korean name. When we started on Hanja, I learned the characters for it:

閔 到 瑛

Min (sounds the same in either Korean or Mandarin) isn't a super common name in Korea, and I think the instructor chose it because it begins with the same letter as my last name. The other characters are pronounced slightly differently, but close enough (when I've been in doubt in China I think of the Korean word and it is usually close enough that someone can figure out what I mean).
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
My all time favorite for these kinds of names was a Malaysian Chinese guy I did business with many y ears ago named Harry Kok. Definitely a name card I didn't want to lose.
Through a friend I have heard a story of a guy with the surname Hung. He had picked the name Johnson. One night after some drinking, they told him the English meaning of the combined names. He wore those names proudly after that.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I've worked with a number of Chinese folks during my career. It always seemed that the women chose "old lady names" (Shirley, Grace, etc.) while the men weren't all that uncommon (Jason, Derek, etc.).
I’ve had the same experience with the “old lady” names. Rose, Grace, Violet. One young woman I know was Betty until she was told it was a “grandma name” - she then changed to Lotus, which I think is great.

I know an engineer named Burden, which seems fitting because he’s under much pressure. It’s not the kind of name you’d find on a name website.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
It's my understanding most Chinese (and people from other Asian countries) people actually give themselves English name, not by others, no? I know that in my gf's case, she gave herself her own English name, as well as named both of her parents. Coincidentally (not), all three names start with the same letter because it was her favourite one when she was little and chose names lol.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When a language teacher gives someone a name, it's just for that classroom and isn't legally binding. The student could pick a better name at any time, as long as the given name hasn't been used beyond the school (and ideally not on any official school documents sent to others, such as transcripts/diplomas/degrees).

However, at least in the USA, once a name is used on legal and financial documents, or once someone is broadly known by a name, it can be harder to change it.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by atword
Through a friend I have heard a story of a guy with the surname Hung. He had picked the name Johnson. One night after some drinking, they told him the English meaning of the combined names. He wore those names proudly after that.

I’ve had the same experience with the “old lady” names. Rose, Grace, Violet. One young woman I know was Betty until she was told it was a “grandma name” - she then changed to Lotus, which I think is great.

I know an engineer named Burden, which seems fitting because he’s under much pressure. It’s not the kind of name you’d find on a name website.
I used to know a guy named Johnson Hung. From Taiwan, I wonder if it's the same guy?
atword likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
A certain scene from Kentucky Fried Movie comes to mind...
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
A certain scene from Kentucky Fried Movie comes to mind...
I was reminded of this:

Zorak likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MW147
I used to know a guy named Johnson Hung. From Taiwan, I wonder if it's the same guy?
I used to know a Richard Hung. Didn't go by Dick.
MW147 and atword like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YariGuy
I used to know a Richard Hung. Didn't go by Dick.
At least the first name wasn't Maxim with the nickname of Max: Max Hung.

OTOH Sex and the City has Mr.Big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.