FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Giving Chinese people English names and vv (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/2024516-giving-chinese-people-english-names-vv.html)

YariGuy Sep 8, 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 32660383)
Your name has a nice ring to me, but as previously mentioned, I don't have the capacity to evaluate fengshui.

I no longer have contact with the friend who plugged my name into the website because she is an ex of one of my close friends, and they are not on good terms.

I'm guessing that the same, or at least a similar, website exists today.

I searched on Google, and this only revealed articles about naming strategies. If you --or anyone else-- wants to find an actual fengshui scoring website, I suggest searching on baidu using the following terms:
风水 名字 分

Here's one I found:

????

tauphi Sep 8, 2020 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32660354)
HUH? Many Chinese names are short words of one syllable.

These names are for use in newspaper articles. The rule is to use the full name when referring to someone in an article, unless there is a reason to withhold their name (e.g., reporting on a criminal case). Traditionally full names are three characters (i.e., syllables) long with two character names being common with people from mainland China.

MW147 Sep 9, 2020 8:35 am

I have given many English names over the years. I try to keep it simple.

One of my suppliers has a son that I named Tony. He is about 5 now. This spring she had a daughter. I swear I did not plan this, but I could not help myself. I named her Carmela. :)

We have all seen some pretty interesting English names. My all time favorite was meeting a woman in a booth at the Canton Fair, maybe 10 years ago. She introduced herself as Shiny. Which is funny enough by itself. But what made it complete was her last name. It was Dong. So yes, her name is Shiny Dong. I kid you not. I had to ask who gave her the name. I was wondering if someone played a cruel joke on her. Nope, she picked it herself, and asked me "don't you like it"? What could I say? I told her it was very nice.

LondonElite Sep 9, 2020 9:09 am

A few years ago a very petite girl on a transaction team introduced herself to me as 'Fawn'. 'Fawn' I said, 'that's a pretty name.' 'Oh you know it?' she said, visibly excited, 'like the baby deer.' Like the baby deer indeed.

moondog Sep 9, 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32662903)
A few years ago a very petite girl on a transaction team introduced herself to me as 'Fawn'. 'Fawn' I said, 'that's a pretty name.' 'Oh you know it?' she said, visibly excited, 'like the baby deer.' Like the baby deer indeed.

She seems quite similar to Pretty in the vanity department. I applaud the honesty of both.

I never actually dated Pretty, but she gave me a ~40" framed picture of herself as a birthday present.

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2020 6:08 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32662903)

Kitty and even Birdie is sometimes a woman's nickname (or Chick for a guy), but puppy, piglet, calf, lamb, cub, etc. would all be bad.

Fawn doesn't sound too bad to me, although both Fawn and Dawn do have slight stripper/poledancer connotations IMO.

Loren Pechtel Sep 12, 2020 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32657212)
IME when Chinese people living in the USA pick English first names, they often try to keep the same first letter as their Chinese name written in the English alphabet, although sometimes the given and family names get mixed up. Some translate their name from Chinese characters to an English word and others pick a name they like, perhaps something that they think sounds very impressive in English, resulting in some pretentious and very British sounding first names.

My father gave my wife (girlfriend then) her American name--first letter matches.

The impetus can be getting annoyed with others stumbling on their Chinese name or wanting to make it easier for Americans to call them by a given name. Sometimes there might be the sense that too many Chinese people have the same name in English. Yet this is a great opportunity to pick a name with useful connotations professionally or even to establish a brand for themselves.
Her biggest issue was with people mangling it sufficiently that neither of us recognized it. It's a nuisance when you're in a waiting room and don't realize you have been called.

Still, it would be wise to check the connotations of the name in American/British English. Professional women (or graduate students hoping to become such) should obviously avoid names that sound sexy or worse, like Candy, Blaze, Gigi, Katya, etc.
What's the problem with Katya?

wijibintheair Sep 15, 2020 8:05 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 32657335)
My all time favorite for these kinds of names was a Malaysian Chinese guy I did business with many years ago named Harry Kok. Definitely a name card I didn't want to lose.

Not Chinese, but a not totally uncommon name, which in Afrikaans is perfectly normal but always triggers a few laughs from the English speakers is Sakkie (pronounced sucky) de Kok.

rbAA Sep 15, 2020 8:11 am

When I went to get my Chinese driver's licence, they asked for my Chinese name. My Chinese mother-in-law (now ex) suggested 皇帝 supposedly Emperor King, though Huang was my Chinese (ex) wife's family name, though she also has a son whose name is Di.

travelinmanS Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 32676872)
When I went to get my Chinese driver's licence, they asked for my Chinese name. My Chinese mother-in-law (now ex) suggested 皇帝 supposedly Emperor King, though Huang was my Chinese (ex) wife's family name, though she also has a son whose name is Di.

I think that’s even more bold than 龙

malloc Sep 15, 2020 10:45 am

In my company's large Chinese branch there are many strange English names in use by my Chinese colleagues.

There are both women and men named "Snow".
And other inanimate objects, like "Sky", "Wind", "Stone", "Dream", etc.

One guy also named himself after a character from Warcraft.
My favorite is someone who took the name "Roentgen". Yes, after the X-ray inventor, weird...

Then there is the guy named "Tonny", because there was already someone else named "Tony" with the same family name.

MSPeconomist Sep 15, 2020 10:51 am

BTW, how common is it for a Chinese name to have exactly the same (short) first and last names when written in the western alphabet? I know of several males from mainland China living in the USA who belong to this category, although I haven't seen their names in Chinese characters.

moondog Sep 15, 2020 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32677296)
BTW, how common is it for a Chinese name to have exactly the same (short) first and last names when written in the western alphabet? I know of several males from mainland China living in the USA who belong to this category, although I haven't seen their names in Chinese characters.

Based on a cursory review of my contact list (slightly unfair sampling because most work for MNCs), I estimate 5-10%. The thing is:
1. It's possible for anyone to go this route if they want
2. Even when doing so, going with Lee instead of Li is common, and remember that both are simply representations of 李; pinyin protocols (that many people are unaware of) don't really come into play
3. I would argue that the same principle applies to non-cookie cutter transliterations (e.g. you honestly could make a case that 大卫 and David are the same)

polinka Sep 15, 2020 11:22 am

When I was younger I used to date a much older man. He was attractive, wealthy, loved to travel and endlessly interesting. I never found anything that caused me to question any of his stories. We broke up after about a year simply bc we were at such different stages in our lives.

I run into him around town from time to time. One time was at the park. He was walking with an Asian woman who looked nearer my age than his. She introduced herself as "Milky Way." I don't know if she was Chinese. Alas, I saw him again about a year later. I asked about Milky Way but he said, "She's no longer in my life."

Zorak Sep 15, 2020 11:25 am

This comes up in movies sometimes too -- the one that sticks in my mind was from Infernal Affairs* where I think a character had 黑 in his name or nickname and the subtitles/cast referred to him as "Negro" :eek:

(Infernal Affairs is the movie that Scorsese remade in the US as The Departed -- there are also IA2 and IA3. I enjoyed all 3, although IA2 was much less confusing once I figured out it was a prequel, and IA3 cuts back and forth between timelines and is even more confusing :o :) )