Wiki Posts
Search

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The article you link says 4 flights a week for the combo of carriers. This is four flights total which is worse than what we had last month. Where do you see 6:6?
It was mentioned somewhere in weibo that CAAC and DOT had a conversation on June 12 that eventually there will be 12 weekly flights total.

I imagine it will be 6:6 with DL UA each operates 3 weekly flights plus six Chinese carriers one weekly each.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:09 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Beijing battles ‘explosive coronavirus outbreak’ as food market cases mount

FOREIGN VIRUS?
  • Scientists struggle to track source of cluster linked to massive food wholesale centre

Wu said the virus found in Xinfadi did not appear to resemble the strain prevalent in Beijing two months ago, but was more like the one in Europe, although it did not necessarily mean the virus was directly imported from Europe.

“If strains in the US are analysed, most of them will be from Europe, so will those from Russia ... We need more information to make an assessment,” Wu said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...-cases-rise-79
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The article you link says 4 flights a week for the combo of carriers. This is four flights total which is worse than what we had last month. Where do you see 6:6?
The article says that currently there are 4 flights a week by all the Chinese carriers. With the new US carrier flights this will double to 8.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Probably internet blocked and tv only cctv channel 9 .
NO, surprisingly the quarantine places seem to have good wifi, including being able to access USA-based email accounts, zoom meetings, and at least some foreign websites, assuming that the person has a laptop or other appropriate device with them. However, I suspect that VPNs are generally being used for this stuff.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Writing classes would go over well, if properly marketed. Foreign learners of English often feel that big words and long sentences are a recipe for success, but this formula doesn't work, and is easy to solve during a six week course. They all want this skill set, but nobody seems to be able to deliver it properly. Instead, the students hire people like you or me for $100 per hour to edit their essays. If they knew the basics, they wouldn't need us.
Ethically I can't do this for money or gifts, but I've certainly helped graduate students from mainland China (and undergrads applying for graduate school).

I suspect they use software to suggest corrections and improvement to the English all the time and then go for human help on the important stuff.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ethically I can't do this for money or gifts, but I've certainly helped graduate students from mainland China (and undergrads applying for graduate school).

I suspect they use software to suggest corrections and improvement to the English all the time and then go for human help on the important stuff.
I had no ethical problems accepting money in return for my services, but I always wished they weren't needed in the first place. This isn't really an English thing; they were equally bad writers in their native languages. I shall qualify this by saying their emails were usually clear and concise, but they changed the formula into "remarkably confusing" when attempting to impress their professors. I can relate to this because I was in the same boat myself. Basically, in high school, you read the works of people like Hemingway and Dostoevski, and there is a temptation to model your own writing after them. I subsequently learned that this is not an effective strategy at the university level. Reading the Economist regularly helped me shift gears. All of the articles adhere to the exact same KISS format, which is admittedly boring, but I started getting straight As immediately after I adopted it.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Jun 17, 2020 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, surprisingly the quarantine places seem to have good wifi, including being able to access USA-based email accounts, zoom meetings, and at least some foreign websites, assuming that the person has a laptop or other appropriate device with them. However, I suspect that VPNs are generally being used for this stuff.
That makes your time in solitary confinement more productive. Have watched youtubers document their experiences in china quarantine. Seems they keep pretty busy editing and posting content as it gives them the opportunity to use lots of video they already had.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I had no ethical problems accepting money in return for my services,
I used to do a lot of english language correction on china suppliers websites. Gave it up as they would never pay or offer any consideration. Was very odd, like they thought they were entitled to it.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone knows UA flight schedule to China? Which days of the week?

I am seeing conflicting reports, two weekly SFO-PVG and one weekly SFO/EWR-PVG each.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:56 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Just like returning Chinese nationals, the virus...

foreign virus?
  • scientists struggle to track source of cluster linked to massive food wholesale centre

wu said the virus found in xinfadi did not appear to resemble the strain prevalent in beijing two months ago, but was more like the one in europe, although it did not necessarily mean the virus was directly imported from europe.

“if strains in the us are analysed, most of them will be from europe, so will those from russia ... We need more information to make an assessment,” wu said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...-cases-rise-79

落叶归根

Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

落叶归根

Yup!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

落叶归根

Or, this virus is

衣锦还乡
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am totally lost on the last three posts!

Can someone explain to me?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am totally lost on the last three posts!

Can someone explain to me?
China implies new outbreak in Beijing is a different strain of coronavirus and source may have been europe.

Chinese idioms
Fallen Leaves - returning to the source
Return in Glory - come back bigger and better
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Return in Glory - come back bigger and better
Nice translation for the idiom 衣锦还乡

Let me also give it a try:

COVID-19: What goes around comes around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.