Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The quarantine hotels aren’t “decent places to stay”. They are a jail for 2 weeks where you can’t leave the room and crappy food is brought to you by minders dressed up as spacemen. The hotels themselves may be 3-4 star range (The Shanghai Hotel by where I live is one of them) but certainly not a place or experience you’ll enjoy.
ETA: My post didn't go through properly, thanks to our beloved Exp. My point was that SH is actually pretty cheap. I also wanted to thank you for pointing out Chili's, which is right next to what my former gf calls the "nicest Starbucks in the world".

Last edited by moondog; Jun 14, 2020 at 6:59 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
They don't discriminate... no one comes in except rich nationals. I read the full text of the white paper. Their policies and procedures are very thorough and stringent for mitigation of the disease. Can't possibly implement them in US as not lawful.
1. Foreigners do not have a right to enter the US. Only US citizens do.
2. Citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, Venezuela, and North Korea, among others, are still subject to a long standing travel ban that targets them by nationality.
3. Furthermore, the US federal government has the authority to quarantine anyone coming into the US. And states and counties can do so as well to anyone coming into, leaving, or living in their territory.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/about...isolation.html

Last edited by STS-134; Jun 14, 2020 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:19 am

In particular, Hawaii's "deport'em" policy sounds awfully Chinese-y.

"Two passengers who arrived from California on Monday were sent back to the Mainland after airport officials found they had no destination on Maui."

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...ors-sent-home/
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 889

"Two passengers who arrived from California on Monday were sent back to the Mainland after airport officials found they had no destination on Maui."

Chinese-y would have been not allowing Hawaiian residents to return.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:40 am

No, Chinese-y would have been permitting residents to return, but only on one sailing per week from Brownsville, docking at Kaumalapau Harbor on Lanai.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Summer school classes tend to be the basic intro level courses, although a number of universities are offering more courses now than in previous summers, generally all online. There's unlikely to be much of interest unless someone still needs to satisfy a general education requirement or can find something of interest for a free elective.
Writing classes would go over well, if properly marketed. Foreign learners of English often feel that big words and long sentences are a recipe for success, but this formula doesn't work, and is easy to solve during a six week course. They all want this skill set, but nobody seems to be able to deliver it properly. Instead, the students hire people like you or me for $100 per hour to edit their essays. If they knew the basics, they wouldn't need us.
UA_Flyer and Cryofern like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 889

Hawaii is taking the virus seriously. But unlike the stupid policies of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, etc., Hawaii is allowing anyone (not just residents/citizens) to enter the state, assuming he or she agrees to quarantine for 14 days at his/her own expense. That's much more reasonable and means that if you really want to get in, you have a way to do so. I probably won't be making a trip there this summer for the first time in my life (summer vacations in Hawaii apparently started when I was a few months old, before I can even remember) unless they change the rules to require C19 testing and a negative result before boarding the plane (which would make me comfortable flying), and C19 testing on arrival, and allow people who leave quarantine once the results come back in 1-3 days and they test negative.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by moondog
1. CX is annoying because of the HKG transit, but this should work in August for a fraction of what the US and CN carriers are charging
2. UA miles are not especially useful for KB
HKG transits to mainland China are currently banned, there is no guarantee that this ban would be lifted by August.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Realistically, where can a person from mainland China go for the fourteen days on the way to the USA, ideally where a visa would not be needed or some sort of electronic visa could be approved automatically? Note also that if a COVID-19 test is required prior to travel, this could be difficult to obtain in China.
Thailand comes to mind.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
It appears that UA/DL have been approved to fly to China.

Other sources say UA will fly SFO-ICN-PVG, DL SEA-ICN-PVG. Initially 4 weekly, eventually 6 weekly.

Six Chinese carriers will do one weekly each. So it will be 6:6.

????????????????? ????????|??_????_???
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:33 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
First use of circuit breaker.

http://fortune.com/2020/06/15/china-...er-coronavirus
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
As Geng/Hua/Zhao often say, "Picking up a stone and hit your own foot."
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
As Geng/Hua/Zhao often say, "Picking up a stone and hit your own foot."
Similar to the idiom "shoot yourself in the foot". ( self inflicted)

The phrase comes from a phenomenon that became fairly common during the First World War. Soldiers sometimes shot themselves in the foot in order to be sent to the hospital tent rather than being sent into battle
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
It appears that UA/DL have been approved to fly to China.

Other sources say UA will fly SFO-ICN-PVG, DL SEA-ICN-PVG. Initially 4 weekly, eventually 6 weekly.

Six Chinese carriers will do one weekly each. So it will be 6:6.

????????????????? ????????|??_????_???
The article you link says 4 flights a week for the combo of carriers. This is four flights total which is worse than what we had last month. Where do you see 6:6?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:27 am

Delta has received approval from Shanghai government to resume flights

JUNE 15, 2020 / 4:33 AM

BEIJING (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N) has received approval from the Shanghai government to resume flights from June 18, a company spokeswoman said on Monday, paving the way for the carrier to resume services to China after months of suspension due to COVID-19.

It is still awaiting for the decision from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) on how many flights it can resume and when it can do so, the airline said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.