Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old May 22, 2020, 9:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I think a reasonable compromise to allow US flights would be to eliminate all tariffs.
Is the current administration genuinely interested in restarting China flights? It could make all travellers to/from China and US fly indirectly for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by percysmith; May 22, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old May 22, 2020, 10:13 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by percysmith
Is the current administration genuinely interested in restarting China flights? It could make all travellers to/from China and US fly indirectly for the foreseeable future.
If I could figure out this, I might be able to answer your question.
March 2 U.S. surgeon general recently urged the public to “STOP BUYING MASKS!” “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
The US never stopped China flights. This was all on the Chinese government. There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese living in the US who can't get home, and it is insanely expensive and difficult for Americans abroad to return home with the current Chinese restrictions. Borders wouldn't be opening back up, it would just relieve the price pressure and allow Chinese and US nationals to return home. Delta and United see an opportunity to earn money with daily flights, so it's a win-win for everyone, and keeps the current border bans.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by givionte
The US never stopped China flights. This was all on the Chinese government. There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese living in the US who can't get home, and it is insanely expensive and difficult for Americans abroad to return home with the current Chinese restrictions. Borders wouldn't be opening back up, it would just relieve the price pressure and allow Chinese and US nationals to return home. Delta and United see an opportunity to earn money with daily flights, so it's a win-win for everyone, and keeps the current border bans.
US airlines depend on US people in order to making flying to China viable from a financial perspective.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
An RP is effectively the same as a visa in this respect. My agent tells me that they are not more difficult to renew now than prior to March 28. While it's possible that he's fibbing, I doubt it because he doesn't get paid until he delivers.
They are now processing RP renewals in about seven days rather than the three weeks it used to.

I got my renewal beginning of May so would be interested to know if any issued after 28th March would allow exit and re-entry. Not sure I'd be too keen to test it out though.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
They are now processing RP renewals in about seven days rather than the three weeks it used to.

I got my renewal beginning of May so would be interested to know if any issued after 28th March would allow exit and re-entry. Not sure I'd be too keen to test it out though.
You leave you’re gone as per the current policy. Don’t test it unless you want to go back to your home country for good. I got my RP renewed last week and this is what I was told.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES

I'm not going to redact my previous post on this matter, but I do trust travelinmanS on this front because he has a post March 28 RP, and I don't. That having been said, your agent is a better source of information than anybody here. I put travelinmanS in contact with my agent, and he talked a big game, but he certainly wouldn't fetch us in HK if we ended up stranded there. I also want to point out that Beijing is unlikely to be better for expats than Shanghai; you guys are close to queen bee. Please do let us know whatever information you gather though.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:21 am

Delta and United see an opportunity to earn money with daily flights, so it's a win-win for everyone, and keeps the current border bans.
Many airlines are now converting their passenger aircraft to carry cargo in the belly hold and cabin.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:30 am

There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese living in the US who can't get home
Passengers to China
Freight to US.
No empty flights.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is this for repatriation and or cargo surely not for tourism?
It is for a chinese citizen needing to return to China for a shorter period of time

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Current five-one north america flights, 4 weekly between US and China, 6 weekly between Canada and China.

MU: JFK-PVG / YYZ-PVG
CA: LAX-PEK / YVR-PEK
CZ: LAX-CAN / YVR-CAN
MF: LAX-XMN / YVR-XMN
HU: YYZ-PEK
3U: YVR-CTU
Thanks!
Anyone with a Europe list?
It looks like CZ does CAN-CDG, CAN-LHR and CAN-AMS.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22Z04W

US wants the "March 12" restriction gone.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by STS-134

No problem..end tariffs.
Air freight costs will drop...cost of consumer goods will drop..US business profits will go up..there is zero downside.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
No problem..end tariffs.
Air freight costs will drop...cost of consumer goods will drop..US business profits will go up..there is zero downside.
I agree that there's almost zero downside to ending tariffs, so long as the other side drops its tariffs, but there are other reciprocity items that I would put in place, such as:
1. Chinese citizens not allowed to purchase real estate in the US, until US citizens are allowed to purchase real estate in China.
2. US should block Baidu, WeChat, and other Chinese internet services, until China unblocks Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. US media shall be allowed to report freely inside China if Chinese media is allowed to report freely inside the US.
3. China should require US citizens to do an in-person interview to get visas, until the US drops the requirement for Chinese citizens.
4. All "Confucius Institutes" in the US universities to be disbanded, unless the US is allowed to have "George Washington Institutes" in Chinese universities.

...and the ones relevant to this thread:
5. All Chinese citizens banned from entering the US (regardless of origin/location during the past 14 days), until China rescinds its ban on all US citizens entering China. Banning US citizens coming directly from the US due to COVID-19 fears I can understand. Banning US citizens coming directly from Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. however makes no sense (and yes, I'm aware that these restrictions by the US should also be extended against Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, etc.). Requiring a 14 day quarantine at the traveler's expense? Sure...and that would probably cut down on passenger traffic by 99%. Total ban? That's just dumb.
6. I'm seeing reports that if US citizens who hold Chinese RPs leave China, they lose their RP. Okay, fine, if that is true, then Chinese citizens with US Green Cards who leave the US should lose their Green Cards.

An eye for an eye.

Last edited by STS-134; May 23, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Old May 23, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I know you’re more optimistic than I am about this stuff but I think you’d be handing DL 4000 rambos in exchange for a future travel credit.
So far, DL's been pretty good about giving cash refunds to the original form of payment when flights are cancelled. I wouldn't use an OLTA.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:04 pm

I agree that there's almost zero downside to ending tariffs, so long as the other side drops its tariffs, but there are other reciprocity items that I would put in place, such as:
1. Chinese citizens not allowed to purchase real estate in the US, until US citizens are allowed to purchase real estate in China.

Absolutely...and US buyers get to own the land.

2. US should block Baidu, WeChat, and other Chinese internet services, until China unblocks Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. US media shall be allowed to report freely inside China if Chinese media is allowed to report freely inside the US.

Of course!

3. China should require US citizens to do an in-person interview to get visas, until the US drops the requirement for Chinese citizens.

Yes..in per interviews for a country with such wealth and no history of terrorist acts on other nations.

4. All "Confucius Institutes" in the US universities to be disbanded, unless the US is allowed to have "George Washington Institutes" in Chinese universities.

Have no knowledge on that.

...and the one relevant to this thread:
5. All Chinese citizens banned from entering the US (regardless of origin/location during the past 14 days), until China rescinds its ban on all US citizens entering China. Banning US citizens coming directly from the US due to COVID-19 fears I can understand. Banning US citizens coming directly from Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. however makes no sense (and yes, I'm aware that these restrictions by the US should also be extended against Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, etc.). Requiring a 14 day quarantine at the traveler's expense? Sure...and that would probably cut down on passenger traffic by 99%. Total ban? That's just dumb.

Yes US never banned chinese (as in china citizens) never banned China flights.

An eye for an eye.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.